Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

PAINFUL DDD, 35 years old, Dr. says no to fusion.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi

I read your comment and it seems you are doing very well after your fusion. I am 33 and just had my fusion. I am having alot of trouble using my left leg as far as pushing off to walk up steps etc. I have been walking alot so I notice a very small difference. I had a CT scan the other day and met with my dr. He prescribed a nerve medication as the CT scan showed a screw slightly touching my nerve which could be the cause of my leg problems. He may have to go back in if the nerve doesn't calm down.

I really like your attitude. Please continue to share good news.

Take Care
  • Just curious does this mean your fusion was a failure?

Thanks
  • advertisement
  • Just curious does this mean your fusion was a failure?

Thanks
  • I have facet ddd mild but 3 years later. Much pain. try spinal decompression. It is working!!!
  • I'm 49 and have DDD also and had 3 opinions and no surgery was their answer. I'm starting with physiotherapy to do aqua therapy in a heated pool probably on Thursday. I'm going to learn core strengthening exercises in the water as I'm unable to walk or do any form of exercise except some peddling on the recumbent exercise bicycle. The Drs think surgery wouldn't help me so I'm hoping the pool therapy will help. Keep looking for a Dr that will help you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • I just turned 39 and I had a two tier spinal fusion..I was fused from l3,4,5 and S1 in february of this year. They diagnosed me with DDD , spinal stenois. I also had a laminectomy . It is extremly painful. I thought I would recover and bounce back after 3 months but its been 9 months and I still have incredible pain. i go to therapy 3 times a week i have tried acupuncture and every medication under the sun to feel better . I went from a healthy woman who kept up with my 9 yr old to now someone who can even wash the floor. This is not an easy surgery to recover from...I would suggest you try everything else before thinking about doing this. Exercise, chiropractor, injections.
  • spinal decompression is great...it's the only thing that gives me some relief since my surgery.
  • I'm a newbie to the forum but I was wondering something: I've read in various articles that DDD is common, starts in the 20's or 30's, and that the pain can actually improve over time. Also, DDD isn't always associated with pain, so the pain response might be related to something else.

Could that be why docs are reluctant to do surgery and try to focus more on pain management?

Anyway, wondering what people thoughts are about that.
  • I am 32 years old (female) and I had PLIF at L5-S1. it is a major decision, but a one level fusion came with a 75%-80% chance of significanlty reduced pain, or resolution of the pain. My dr. was sure to do another (more recent) discogram to be sure the levels above were not damaged (in my case it was just the mentioned level that was horrible - severe DDD, annular tear and herniation) My pain was constant and severe. destroyed my quality of life.

But here is the good news! My surgery was a terrific success. I even investiagted ALIF, and disc replacement, but decided to go with PLIF, and the surgeon that I felt was the most qualified. (by the way, any dr. that spends less than 30-45 mins. examining you, talking with you and answering all of your questions, is not qualified (in my personal opinion and expereince) to give you an accurate diagnosis. PERIOD. And you should see the Dr. several times prior to your surgery. My dr. was also the only one I saw (and I saw many) that wanted to re-do and old disco for more up to date info. To me, the choice was clear. My advice is not to stop looking until you find the right doctor.

Just a word of warning too...some insurance companies are starting to say that fusion is not indicated for the treatment of severe DDD, which is so NOT true, they just know it is an expensive surgery and week long hospital stay. I fought them tooth and nail...my denials were done by a nurse and family practice physician...seriously? As if they could know more about my conditon than my nuerosurgeon? Fight them...you can win! (I have several times)

In the end, I wish I had done this surgery sooner, as I suffered for 12+ years (my whole young adult life) I am so thankful I didn't wait another day! You can recover from this!
  • I would avoid surgery for degenerative disc changes at your age.

I am a physician and I see lots of people that go in for fusion surgery and then end up having to have revision surgeries and extension of the fusions. So, in a young person I would be concerned that you would have a long future of surgeries ahead of you.

There are a few things worth keeping in mind. First, discs are not the only thing in the back that can cause pain. It is worth considering the possibility of having your pain be related to lumbar facet joints at least in part. Have you tried facet injections or medial branch blocks?

Second, it is likely worth revisiting the exercise interventions that you have done. We can make most back pain better with exercise if it is tailored to what is your specific pain generator and 'taking the pressure' off joints or discs with exercise.

Think hard before getting an extensive fusion.

I have some exercises posted on my blog EDITED Let me know what you think.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.