Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Tense muscles

Comments

• I thought the lidoderm patches were expensive. I got 3 boxes. Each box contained 30 patches, but can apply up to 3 patches at one time. Even with my insurance they were $75.00. In order to extend them out, I have been cutting them in half. Seems to work okay. They can really help. Good luck.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
    Thanks. I'm afraid our insurance won't cover them but I'll check and see. Then to try to get my doctor to prescribe them! He only prescribes the Tramadol, Norflex and Flexeril. He says he can't give me a narcotic like Lortab and yet they say the Tramadol is very addictive! How long have you taken it and does it help control your pain very well?
    Debbie
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    Tense and tight muscles can cause a wide range of problems and can cause additional problems for spinal patients.

When our muscles are so tight that the prevent normal movement, our discs have additional strain. When that continues it could eventually lead to disc problems that most of us have already experienced.

Now, once we have had spinal surgery, we can be left with many tight muscles. Lumbar patients generally have very tight ham strings. Cervical and Thoracic patients are left with tight neck and shoulder muscles.
    If those muscles are not taken care of (by Physical Therapy and/or Muscle relaxers) disc problems can persist. In my situation, my deep rhomboid muscle was left without valid treatment for over 10 years.
    As a result, that muscle became like a piece of wood, which preventing fluid movement in my upper back. As a result, too much stress was placed on my thoracic discs and slowly but surely and with some physical mistakes, I've herniated 5 thoracic discs. No Physical Therapy or medications helped with this. For almost a full year, I had very limited movement and a lot of pain. It wasnt until I had Deep Tissue Massage and the rhomboid muscle was taking care of did I have some good thoracic pain relief. But again, this is my case, I am sure its different for others

So why the Chicken or the Egg?

What really came first? I wish I had an answer that I could medically back up and substantiate, but for now, I just know that we all have to take care of tense and tight muscles.

If we dont, we open ourselves up for additional spinal problems and that doesnt even address the
    stress and headaches that can result.

Any good doctor will know the relationship of muscles to disc and should take the corrective steps
    in helping their patient.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Just got home from work a little bit ago, after I get my comfies on, the first thing I do is start taking the pills. Tramadol and baclophen first. I have been taking it for over a year now. On weekends, when I'm not driving, I can take 2 every 4 hrs, and it keeps ahead of the pain. During the week (I drive 8 hrs a day for my job) I can't take it until I get home at 10:45pm. By then the pain is severe, and takes a couple of hrs for it to improve, if it does. Then I put on my TENS for 20-30-min. Then take that off and put on one of the patches. I do have vicodine for BT pain, but I hate to take it too often. After the pain pills start taking hold, then I take 3 neurontin, and celexa. I'm keeping the drug co's in business, along with lots of us spineys. :D I hope your ins will cover it. Your dr shouldn't be opposed to it, because they contain a deadening agent, not a narcotic. Good luck, hope you get some relief soon.

Maggie
  • Yeah my muscles have been locked up tense ever since my neck pain started. It runs down my back, and even my lower back too but I think that's from weightlifting wrong years ago.
  • advertisement
    I agree that muscles play a large role in spinal problems. I don't get any relief from the muscle relaxers though. I'm going to ask for a different kind when I see my dr. again. I can't take it and function very well though. Thanks Ron. I hope that you're doing well.

Debbie
    I hope to try the patches. You have to take so many meds before bedtime that I bet you have a terrible time getting up don't you? Also doesn't it take it a long time to help since you can't take it until so late? That's rough not being able to take it during the day. I don't drive very much at all anymore. I try not to take as much if I know I'm going to drive.
    I hope you've had a good day.
    Debbie
    Do you take any muscle relaxers or anything? When I was in PT the therapist said I have the tightest muscles she's ever saw. After heat, tens, and massage they still never relax. Sometimes a heating pad will help some.
    I have a nephew that's really into weight lifting and I keep telling him to be careful because he'll pay for it years down the road. Of course when we're young we think we can do anything without repercussions don't we?
    I hope you're having a good day. Take care,
    Debbie
  • Ron, this is such a good post that it needs to be made into a sticky.
    It is one of the few non-medical treatments that can be suggested with confidence.
    Muscles must be looked at as part of any spinal-problem treatment, yet this point seems to be missed or deliberately overlooked by many forum members, so it would be good to continually remind them of it.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    I could not take tramadol for that same reason. The P.M. Doc. gave me valium to counter act it. But opiates do that to me also. But to a much lessor extent.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.