Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

severe migraine for over wk, no relief, help

Comments

• Mark
    Thanks for your answers....problem is somewhat better as long as I'm lying almost flat, but when I get up....oh buddy. Nothing tastes right, but I'm drinking black coffee, cokes, water, etc. eating pretty much nothing except bland food. Have lost 13 lbs. since Sun. a week ago. Not the way to lose it.

I've talked with the nurse of the Neuro that operated on me 3/23 and she is going to talk with him in between surgeries and get back to me.

She is thinking it is a spinal fluid leak, but perplexed as it camee about almost 2 mo. after surgery. Headache occurred first Sun. a week ago and then they did the CT & MRI and lumnar punch. She seems to think the leak is from the initial surgery.....I don't know how they would find a hole from over a week ago....but surely wish something wonderful would transpire. I'm so tired of complaining and feeling badly.

She told me to lie flat....so I'm lying flat with my laptop propped on my stomach to write to you guys........

Gee hope I don't have to have my back opened up again.
  • Mark
    Thanks for your answers....problem is somewhat better as long as I'm lying almost flat, but when I get up....oh buddy. Nothing tastes right, but I'm drinking black coffee, cokes, water, etc. eating pretty much nothing except bland food. Have lost 13 lbs. since Sun. a week ago. Not the way to lose it.

I've talked with the nurse of the Neuro that operated on me 3/23 and she is going to talk with him in between surgeries and get back to me.

She is thinking it is a spinal fluid leak, but perplexed as it camee about almost 2 mo. after surgery. Headache occurred first Sun. a week ago and then they did the CT & MRI and lumnar punch. She seems to think the leak is from the initial surgery.....I don't know how they would find a hole from over a week ago....but surely wish something wonderful would transpire. I'm so tired of complaining and feeling badly.

She told me to lie flat....so I'm lying flat with my laptop propped on my stomach to write to you guys........

• advertisement
  • Mark

• Mark

• Mark

• advertisement
  • Mark

• Mark

• Mark

She is thinking it is a spinal fluid leak, but perplexed as it came about almost 2 mo. after surgery. Headache occurred first Sun. a week ago and then they did the CT & MRI and lumnar punch. She seems to think the leak is from the initial surgery.....I don't know how they would find a hole from over a week ago....but surely wish something wonderful would transpire. I'm so tired of complaining and feeling badly.

• Barney, from what you describe, it sounds like it could indeed be a spinal fluid leak.
    Pain in the head, of course, but it moves thru the neck, stiffness in shoulders, reduction in sight & hearing, no appetite, constant nausea if you are sitting up (which you can't do) etc...it is so miserable..like you head is exploding. I actually felt like my brain was pulling away from the top of my head when I'd try to sit up.

I had one begin spontanelously 6 days after my 1st spine surgery (so they can happen AFTER sugery) & the headache was so very unbelieveably awful--just as you tell it--nausea, had to lay flat, blinding pain, can't fully even rate it--way beyond a "10" but they won't accept more than a "10"--tried everyting including the blood patch ,etc...MRI showed the leak @ the initial lammy site & I had 2nd surgery to fix the leak (glue & sutures). Woke up feeling much better, but took about a day to fully resolve.

No meds will touch the pain, b/c if it's a CFS leak, you need the spinal fluid contained where it should be to resolve the pain.

Did you get any answers today from your doc or nurse?
    I lost 10# in 2 weeks due to the constant nausea, etc so you could be having that effect as well.

Keep us posted. I'm worried about you! CSF leaks are serious, as I found out. Please let us know how you are doing! Or PM me if you have the strength!

~Lakeside
  • I was shocked when I saw my reply repeated dozens of times, sorry, I must have hit a key just a bit much. Really this has been a terrible time in my life. I'm not a complainer and people that know me know that to be true....but gee whiz this has zapped me in every way.
    I wanted to lose a bit of weight...most ladies seem to, but in 11 days the scales are almost 22# LESS. Nothing tastes right except salty fries. Even a chocolate bar...the dr. told me to drink coffee, drink coke, eat choc. Well the choc tasted like cardboard that had cat urine on it....yuk.
    So much for my love of sweets now....
    Went back to Neuro 4 hrs. each way yest. & 4 hrs of testing....so we were gone just over 12 hours and had another MRI as they were certain that there is a spinal leak. Radiologist read tests and said that everything is great...no leak....fusion from March looks super...go home... That sounds good, but I'm sitting here this am wondering what to do next.

I've called a totally diff. internist that has been highly recommended by sev. of my medical friends to try to get an appt. I have a heat pak around my neck and ready to nuke it again, took an excedrin migraine (after I ate a bite of breakfast). I have drunk one coke, getting ready to make a cup of strong coffee....then to WalMart to see what topical stuff I can find.....going to try to inhale saline solutions...looking forward to that !!!......then, apply topical stuff to get rid of the stiffness in my neck.

Believe me, I'm thrilled that they don't see a leak....but I still have the problem...although I don't think it is as bad this am. Hopefully all the prayers that have been offered are being answered and this will just be a miracle without knowing. But your comments, Lakeside, really make me feel more and more that there was a leak and that it may have just had enough time to resolve and maybe I can begin to be a productive human once again.

Sincerest thanks for your kind, kind caring words and suggestions.

I hope we all become wonderful graduates of Spiney.

Have an exceedingly great day !
advertisement