Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

HELLO, NEW HERE-my quick background

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,322
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello. I am new here. I am an injury attorney that handles car accident and on-the-job injuries, so I have attained some familiarity with various neck and back issues over the years.
However, I also have some lingering neck pain/problems from a rear-end auto accident several years ago, that prompted me to join this forum. No abnormalities were noted in my cervical spine, and for that I am very thankful. However, I have continuing pain and soreness in my neck and upper back area, that seems to intensify when I turn my head sharply in either direction. The pain is on both sides of my spine, though does not seem to be directly in the area of my spine. I think there is a chance that the soreness is caused by tension, and also by sitting in a chair at work for extended periods of time. However, I think ultimately, it is a result of the car accident I was in several years ago (which did not result in severe injuries, but rather, just back and neck pain. I am curious if others with neck pain have found relief through any means such as physical therapy, massage therapy, chiropractic care, or other non-traditional means.
Secondly, I browse postings on this forum to educate myself about various back and neck conditions, types of surgeries, and recovery periods for different types of injuries, so I can more accurately assess the extent of a client's injuries, and determine the likelihood of the need for future surgery, therapy, etc... I also find the forum useful to understand the types of problems that back and neck injuries can cause in the daily lives of people who have to deal with them. Finally, I have greatly increased my knowledge of various procedures and surgeries and the terminology that is frequently used.
This is an outstanding forum and I am curious if anyone else has neck or cervical spine pain, caused either by a spinal condition, or simply by muscle sprains or strains. Always open to discuss any other conditions or issues as well. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Mike
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you decided to drop by!! =D> i am sorry you are having neck pain!! ~X( i am not familiar with that but we do share pain in common.. good luck as you seek pain relief! :D Jenny :)
  • Hi Mike,

Welcome to spine-health. I'm glad your finding the information very useful here. I'm just curious if your neck was followed with a MRI? I have read a lot on whiplash and the link of time it can take to heal. However, your neck issues seem to be hanging on rather long for that. Message therapy can be a good thing to try. They can work specifically on the trigger points. What about trying some accupuncture? As far as a chiropractor, I personally have never had experience with one. But i believe as in all things, they can be good and bad. Have you tried muscle relaxers? Therapy is always a good option as with any injured body part, your muscles become weak and just that bit of retraining maybe all that is needed.

You may want to use the search function at the top of the page on office setups. Making your office environment more functional ergonomically correct may help as well. Your knowledge of certain legal issues will be a plus to the site. Look forward to reading more of your post. If I can ever help you with anything feel free to pm me. I am from the cervical side with 5 cervical surgeries behind me. Anyway just wanted to stop by and welcome you to spine-health.
  • advertisement
  • Hello Mike -

After reading your post here, it sounds as though you're experiencing a good deal of muscle (and soft tissue) inflammation which is causing you the referred pain(away from the spine itself)...and whiplash can definitely be the cause of lingering muscle spasms, cramping, etc.

The most prudent course of action would be to get and MRI and x-rays done (to rule out structural damage) and hopefully the ordering Physician would prescribe you an anti-inflammatory (such as Naproxen or Ibuprofen) and also a muscle relaxant (i.e. diazepam (Valium), cyclobenzeprine (Flexeril), or something like that) until the results of the films were in and a diagnosis could be made.

Best wishes to you and hopefully you'll be getting some answers and relief soon!

Jeff

• Neckpain2 said:
    Hello. I am new here. I am an injury attorney that handles car accident and on-the-job injuries, so I have attained some familiarity with various neck and back issues over the years.
    However, I also have some lingering neck pain/problems from a rear-end auto accident several years ago, that prompted me to join this forum. No abnormalities were noted in my cervical spine, and for that I am very thankful. However, I have continuing pain and soreness in my neck and upper back area, that seems to intensify when I turn my head sharply in either direction. The pain is on both sides of my spine, though does not seem to be directly in the area of my spine. I think there is a chance that the soreness is caused by tension, and also by sitting in a chair at work for extended periods of time. However, I think ultimately, it is a result of the car accident I was in several years ago (which did not result in severe injuries, but rather, just back and neck pain. I am curious if others with neck pain have found relief through any means such as physical therapy, massage therapy, chiropractic care, or other non-traditional means.
    Secondly, I browse postings on this forum to educate myself about various back and neck conditions, types of surgeries, and recovery periods for different types of injuries, so I can more accurately assess the extent of a client's injuries, and determine the likelihood of the need for future surgery, therapy, etc... I also find the forum useful to understand the types of problems that back and neck injuries can cause in the daily lives of people who have to deal with them. Finally, I have greatly increased my knowledge of various procedures and surgeries and the terminology that is frequently used.
    This is an outstanding forum and I am curious if anyone else has neck or cervical spine pain, caused either by a spinal condition, or simply by muscle sprains or strains. Always open to discuss any other conditions or issues as well. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    Mike, Welcome to spine-health. You'll meet people from all walks of life here, and I think it is great that you browse the forums to better understand your clients' pain and also for information for your own conditions.

In response to your question about results from various treatments for neck pain. I think it is important for all of us to explore different treatment methods, as we are all unique and what works for one may not work for another. It sounds as if your pain is isolated to your neck area, which is a good indication that it is probably soft tissue and muscular in nature. However, it could also be something like bone spurs or facet problems. I'm assuming you've had all the appropriate testing to make sure there isn't something emergent going on. If not, please get an mri. One thing to keep in mind is that if you have muscle strains, the ligaments could tighten and over time pull on the vertebral structure enough that you could end up with more problems, so even if you didn't have anything wrong initially with your testing, you could have now. If that makes sense at all. It's late and I'm not thinking straight, lol.

What helps me the most is a TENS unit along with heat and ice. Moist heat is better than dry. I find that trigger point injections are helping some too, but nothing really helps long term.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,617
    Hi Mike

I would like to welcome you to spine-health forum. It is good to hear you have already found it useful we offer support as we can relate.

I see you have already been given some useful information above, I also have cervical issues and know how painful it can be.

Tc
    Liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
advertisement