Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone Like Me?

Comments

• Hi Blambert,

My fusion was "just" L4-L5, in Feb 08, and I've had a good recovery. The stenosis pain stayed in the OR; the postop pain was nasty, but tolerable, thanks to Oxycodone, then Hydrocodone. I was off pain meds in about 8 weeks, but took Soma for spasms for another 3 months. Haven't even had an Aleve since.

My biggest suggestion is to embrace PT fully. My surgeon has his patients walk a mile every day, from the first postop day on, then increase it to 2 miles at 4 weeks. I didn't miss a day, and still do it.

Started formal PT, 3 times a week, at 8 weeks. Stretching, flexibility exercises, balance exercises, and light lifting. I did the exercises at home on the days with no PT visits.

After the 8 weeks of formal PT, I kept going, working out about 1 1/2 hours a day, and, at the surgeon's recommendation, found a neuromuscular massage therapist, going once a week. That worked out the kinks and loosened up the area around the fusion site

At about 6 months, I suddenly found that I could call myself "fully fused," and that was confirmed by X-ray at my 6-month visit.

I'm a happy guy. Recovery was hard work, but the work was worth it. You've gotta do the work.

Bottom line advice: Walk lots, and do the PT work.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Hi Bambert,
    Hey I'm with everybody else ,you have had a major surgery.I used to think I could go without the meds,"cuz I'm tough",and then my PM Dr explained breakthrough pain and how having it hinders your healing.Your body reacts to pain,everything goes on alert when you have pain,it puts you on guard.And that takes energy that you should be using to heal.This isn't as good an explaination as my doc had,but I think you get the idea.2 1/2 months is nothing when it comes to a multi-level fusion like yours.I had a 2 level last May and my incision site is still sore!So take it easy....just remember you don't want to make things worse. Feel better have pleasant weekend...Sagehen
  • advertisement