Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cervical Spine causing Fibromyalgia symptoms?

JEMJJEM Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My serious cervical spine problems started in the Fall of 2006. I had and still have terrible pain. I saw a neurosurgeon two years ago, and was told that I wasn't a candidate for surgery. However; each MRI got worse. Mild to moderate spinal stenois turned to severe spinal stenois, on and on. I have to see a neurosurgeon again, and my primary doctor thinks I may need surgery.

About a year after the cervical problems began, I developed full body pain. It's a complete nightmare. The pain is intense and constant and never takes a day off. My walking is affected. Everything is affected. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. The more I read up on cervical spine disease, the more I realize how it can affect your entire body from the feet on up.

I'm starting to wonder if I even have Fibro at all. Is it possible that this all over pain is caused by my cervical spine? I asked my primary doctor and he sort of nodded in agreement.
advertisement

Comments

• Its possible, but of course I do not have MD next to my name.
    My Rheumy thought that is what caused mine was trauma to my cervical spine.
    Have you seen a Rheumy yet? They will do a full workup.

Stenosis at your stage can be very painful. Your walking shouldn't be affected by fibro.. I mean it can happen as in just having aches/pain/fatigue while walking. I know my ortho surgeon always suggest surgery for severe stenosis, but that is him... Cannot speak for all Drs. As each one is going to have a different opinon.

I found lyrica to do nothing at all.
    I don't like to tell people what to try and what to ask for by any means. Iv been around here long enough to know so!!! LoL
    Cymbalta is great for all over body pain.. Again does not work for all, but some.
    You really need to get into a Rheumy for a full DX of fibro. They will check you from everything from lymes to sorijens (sorry for spelling)... They checked me from A-Z with all types of blood work, and the tender point test. Xrays and a bone scan.
    You can find that under the fibro fourm.

Remember fibro affects each person differently. Not one case is the same.
    I'v been lucky and not had a flare in awhile. Some things that help is diet changes.

Also have you ever had a Head CT or MRI done???

I wish you the best of luck and wish to you some pain relief!!!!! As I live it everyday with no relief.... So I feel your pain!!!
    Terri
  • JEM,

It's just my opinion and not advice....I think that fibro is triggered by soooo many things.....weather/hormonal/diet/chemical sensitivities(mine!)/pain stimulus from other body points/previous infections/previous injuries......that as Terri said, anything is possible.
    Getting the diagnosis is tricky.....I kept complaining to my dr that I felt achy all over and feel like I've had the flu for years,I finally got fed up (sick of being sick, its called in fibro land) so to rule things out, I was sent to a rheumatologist, and in an hour, I was diagnosed with fibro, just from her hitting the trigger points ( I knew nothing about), she just pressed under my collar bone and I almost hit the ceiling!!! I had mentioned to another dr that I had sore "spots" for years, and he just dismissed it.
  • advertisement
  • I was diagnosed with fibro in 1992 but I am wondering if it is the cervical issues I have going on

c3-c4 disc protrusion
    c4-5 neural foraminal narrowing
    c5-c6 congenital fusion
    c6-c7 mild stenosis, severe bilateral foraminal narrowing
  • May I ask why you take both Lyrica, & Gabapentin? I use to be on gabapentin and then switched to lyrica. That calms the nerves in your spine as well as fib pain. Gabapentin does the same thing. Can you take anti-inflammatories? That reduces a lot of my pain. If you reduce the inflammation you'll reduce pain. Swimming also helps reduce pain because you can move any painful area in the water and it wont hurt. The more you move the painful areas the faster you will reduce some of the pain. Hope this helps. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • JEM said:
    My serious cervical spine problems started in the Fall of 2006. I had and still have terrible pain. I saw a neurosurgeon two years ago, and was told that I wasn't a candidate for surgery. However; each MRI got worse. Mild to moderate spinal stenois turned to severe spinal stenois, on and on. I have to see a neurosurgeon again, and my primary doctor thinks I may need surgery.

About a year after the cervical problems began, I developed full body pain. It's a complete nightmare. The pain is intense and constant and never takes a day off. My walking is affected. Everything is affected. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. The more I read up on cervical spine disease, the more I realize how it can affect your entire body from the feet on up.

I'm starting to wonder if I even have Fibro at all. Is it possible that this all over pain is caused by my cervical spine? I asked my primary doctor and he sort of nodded in agreement.
    I've been wondering this, too!! My docs haven't given me much info on all my cervical spine issues; they seem fixed on the fibromyalgia piece. So I've been prescribed a ton of meds and had some injections, but I'm curious if my spine doesn't need more attention. It's progressing and the pain gets worse and worse. I just noticed this is a very old thread but I wonder how you're doing now? I wish there was some follow-up to all this since it's where I'm at in my pain journey at this very moment...
  • advertisement
advertisement