Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

But I don't wanna have a DISCOGRAM

buckeyebackbbuckeyeback Posts: 384
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:''( :''( :''(

I haven't been told I need one yet, but I can feel it coming from the ol surgeon when I see him tomorrow. He's gonna want to know what's going on with that L4/5 disc, since the MRI isn't conclusive enough in decifering between disc reherniation or scar tissue (in his opinion). Additionally, my straight leg raise and opposite leg raise reproduced my sciatica symptoms in my hip/foot at my last appointment with PM (injection guy) who thinks it is disc material. If they think they're gonna fuse me,...they've got another thing coming. ADR is the only option for me. Adjacent disc disease seems to just continue the cycle of surgeries.

Oh, I did have a question,...I've had multiple ESI's in two levels at the same appointment. Is a discogram pretty similar except for maybe more pain if the disc is bad?

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• disco's are bad they hurt alot but as long as they do a ct after then it will show exactly what is going on there is not much "gray area " when it comes to a discogram with ct.it is well worth the day or two of hell to know the real cause of your pain.good luck
  • From what I understand, fusion puts quite a bit of stress on the other nearby discs. Maybe a careful lifestyle will fend that off.

Thanks for the response about the discogram.
  • advertisement
  • Having had a disco gram they are all they are billed up to be! Very painful but, a must! I learned more about my lower back after that than any other examination or test I have ever had preformed on my back! Good luck!
  • I had my discogram in January, and am thankful that I did. Showed the physicians exactly what was going on. The three MRI's and previous tests didn't show the grade 5 torn disc. I just kept getting injections and was told to live with it. :?

It was more painful than the injections, but my doctor prescribed stronger pain meds to get me through the few days. Ice and rest got me through too. Good luck!
    Vivian
  • good luck with the discogram. They hurt like hell but only if you really have a disc problem. Make sure you are prepared as I was not told how much pain the days following I would be in. Get good meds for after the procedure and the following couple of days.
  • advertisement
  • Don't hesitate. It is probably the most conclusive test you can do. There is no if it will hurt or if it will pinpoint where the pain comes from. You can be sure it will show exactly where. Immediately followed by a CT scan. Most conclusive test I have had done. Get them to at least give you some pain relief while they do it. As far as after goes. I felt better after. I was told that I was strange... There is a shock. I felt better for a month after. I took a Darvocet on the way home cause it was a 2 hour ride. Threw up once. That was about it. For my discogram they tested all of the Lumbar spine, not just L5-S1 where the problem is. My wife said I had over a dozen holes in my back.

A myelogram is worse in my opinion. Only 1 injection but more painful than several ESI's together.

• Gee, sounds like lots of fun....

I've never had one, so can't help you there.

Also, don't get your heart set on ADR because not everyone is a candidate. Part of the success of a particular procedure is the proper selection of the candidate for a particular procedure. Depending on the adjoining disks, you may not be able to have that surgery. I'm sure there are many other conditions that would either rule you in or out.

Is tomorrow the appointment with the second opinion surgeon?

Good luck!

xx Gwennie
  • My Discogram was not as bad as I had feared, I thought I would go in without any pain relief (which is the case with some Dr's) however I was pleasantly surprised to find out I would get a nice coctail of demerol, valium, and an anti-nausea med. I was a medicated motor mouth before the procedure. And I was cool as a cucumber throughout the procedure which concluded that yes indeed my L4-L5 and L5-S1 were shot! Yes it hurt, but it wasn't any worse than my pain on a really bad day! And it told me that all the people including some Dr.s who said I was having muscle spasms were full of crap! I couldn't walk too well for a couple of days afterward, so be prepared for an increase in symptoms. But take heart it's not as bad as an EMG if you've ever had one of those- they suck! Anyway good luck, I'm supposed to have my L5S1 fusion and L4L5 ProDisc L done in a week or so! Wish me luck I will let you all know how it went!
    Joni
  • Such pain! A lot of what I've read on line says they aren't really necessary either. I guess it's sort of six of one, half a dozen of the other. Nothing like having someone put you partially out so they can inflict major pain on you and see how loud you scream. All that pressure, in my mind, can cause more damage than it's worth.

Liinda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • well,...i saw my surgeon and he went over everything with my history and did another eval of my symptoms and based on my dermatomes the previous surgery + mri he wants to go back in and "explore" l4/5. no need for a discogram at this time. he was really happy i brought in the ptx + vit e study and thought the reduction of epidural fibrosis of 70% in the study was very significant. he said that he will want to make sure the ptx won't hurt me, but would be open to putting me on that for a couple/few months post surgery. long story short, he's scheduling me for surgery to see what's wrong and decompress my nerve. i imagine it will be the end of this month or so.

good luck joni, i have been impressed with adr and i think it will serve you well! who is doing your surgery btw?

gwennie, you are raining on my adr party. that's my safety net. lol! :d matter of fact, if i could schedule a pro-disk or maverick adr at l4/l5, i would jump on it right now and i think that would solve my problems, but maybe this will do the trick too. at least for awhile and in the meantime new technologies will be invented and approved. i like the balloon nucleus clinical trial that is currently being initiated by dascor.

https://www.discdyn.com/

interesting concept. :)
advertisement