Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

i'm HOME and its all over!

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
=D> <:P #:S <br /> Hello everyone, i just got home from hospital tonite. i had my acdf c5/c6 surgery donel. i am drugged and still have alot of annosetic in me. (spelling ) but i made it through, and i AM on the other side!! i always could not wait to say that! it was not as bad as i thought it would be. when i got to the hospital wed. the 17th, they informed me that they were going to be moving things right along. that doc was running ahead of schedule, so needless to say that was great news, the worst part is waiting for them to come and wheel you down to surgery. i was in surgery within the hr. after prep, and all docs come into talk\ to ya. my surgery took 45 min. i was pretty doped up though, because i had extra pain meds. given because i have RSD . i do not know how that has effect anything yet. i did have some quirky things happen though after. my place in my wrist where they put my IV, had somehow got jarred ;loose. my right had and wrist are HUGE!
all the fluids and morefeen they had given me were running
into my hand, instead of veins. i am typing this with exploding hand. they have me putting ice, and keeping it
elevated, i am on antibiotics , and stool softners, and percosets. the ride home was very tense in the car, i felt
every little bump in the rode, it is about 30 miles. i
also found a big piece of surgery tape in my hair today, good sticky stuff, it was kind of tucked in the back where my hard collar is, and nobody seen it. someone findly worked on it, and got it out, i thought we would have to cut it out. but i screemed , the tape had irritated my scalp also, and was all twisted. also flowers were delivered to my room, and found out they weren't evem mine, athey were to man next door. (bummer) i was disappointed. my my left arm remains still swollen from RSD. He gave me
plate, and 3 screws. and said everything went fine, now i have to deal with all the good stuff..... after like everyone else on here. i will keep everyone informed of my
progress, i know it helps to hear everyone elses stories. i hope to be hearing from you all. always LEO


  • Welcome back! Sounds like your surgery went very well, just what we need to hear. Now, take it easy, and concentrate on getting better soon.

    Best wishes,

  • I'll never forget how wonderful it felt to be on the other side of surgery and getting home afterward.

    Be sure to follow doc's orders and keep taking those meds.

  • advertisement

  • I had my surgery done on the 17th as well, I came home on Sat. I was glad to have it done now. I am having a lot of nerve pain in my right leg now. Pain that wasn't there before. I hope this improves soon, it is really painful when I try to move it. I have bruises on my left forearm and both hands are swollen. My IV's did the same thing that yours did. I know I have to keep up on the pain meds and to remember to take them when it time.

    It's crazy to talk to someone that had their surgery done on the same day as me.I had fusions done in L4-S1. I am still groggy, I catch myself nodding off,and that's weird. Are you doing this too? Well I don't want this to make this all about me, I have ramble on long enough. I hope you are feeling better soon, keep up with your meds and get lots of rest. Hope to talk to you again.

  • I'm glad you got through the surgery and wish you a complete recovery. Sometimes putting moist heat even a hot cloth in baggie inside a pillow case on your hand 20 minutes may help the swelling as well as the ice. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • >:D< thanks everyone for caring, it means alot. BIGDZ> .. yes i tend to get groggy very easily. i just need to lay down and sleep for a couple hrs., and it is usally time to take meds again , and go potty. i am waiting to take my first shower on Tues.!! my hair needs washing badly. it will be nice to compare our progress from someone who had their surgery same day, even though different parts of the body. ;) this neck brace tends to get very sweating under your chin, but i got replacement part., and they said they can be washed also. my hand is really bothering me where that IV went in, i think there is nerve damage possibly done. when i am up and about, my upper shoulders and back burn, and and will not settle down. oh well i guess that is part of my recovery. i wish all of you good luck with your upcoming surgeries also. thanks LEO (|:
  • advertisement
  • It IS good to be home after surgery :) We worry so much for so long before and then it's all over and we have to worry about things like tape in our hair and how we're going to do the simplest tasks.

    Heal Lady, take the time, don't rush anything. I'm not a doctor so that's not medical advise but merely advise of the experienced. I went absolutely bonkers with seeing laundry and dishes piling up but you have to put it all in someone else's hands for now. Your only job is to grow some bone and melt some stitches now.

    Keep us updated on your progress. With your spirit you'll be going at it in no time!

  • hey there, how are you doing? i know you have been through alot yourself. i too blame it on the accident i was rear ended by a car,first. then is was slammed into 3 cars in front of me, chain reaction. my back end of my van was crushed in, double whammy. this was about 7 yrs. ago. but like you said, there is no sense dwelling on it. i just want to feel better, time will tell i know. i know exactly what you mean about watching the dishes pile up, and etc. i have 3 teenager to help, but they never seem to get things done exactly. but i am not risking my recovery, i have put my foot down. if they want clean clothes, someone better get busy. [( today i was up and about more than i should have been, and i called the nurse at the office, and i took my first shower! ;)) i am sure feeling the effects tonite, of coarse it has not been even a week yet, but i could not stand it, i had some cruddy stuff in my hair also. i figure it was probably all that antibiotics, and meds. they swab you with when you are under. horrible bruises also. i took me a muscle relaxer earlier with pain meds. to see if i can get my muscles to relax, but i am still on fire. i think once i hit (|: the pillow (SOFTLY) I) , i should get some rest. it is not easily done with this neck brace, but i am one of those who cannot sleep in recliner. well you all take care, i think i am headed that way. my RSD in my arm is acting up, cannot concentrate with pain. always LEO :SS
  • I had my surgery on Friday and have been home since Saturday. I had ADR C5/6. I don't have a neck brace and I took my first shower without help today. My neck is very stiff and coughing hurts alot in my shoulder area. I am feeling the same pain in my arm and hand as I did before my surgery, I think I was expecting that to be gone, I hope it starts to diminish. The only pain meds I am on at this time is my Neurontin for the nerve pain, which is what I was on before the surgery. I am not too sure what the time line is for recovery. I go back to my Neurologist for a follow up visit in 3 weeks. I am just so glad to be on the other side of surgery, I was so nervous, but everything seemed to go well.
Sign In or Register to comment.