Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF & Plating C5-C6 C6-C7 Surgery

Comments

• I've been reading posts for a while this morning and starting to feel panic rising in my throat. It's suffocating panic.

I'm glad you posted about the surgery AND the pain relief they were able to provide you while in the hospital. I'm not a candidate for surgery - but needed to hear a happier ending.

jas
  • I am so amazed at the amount of individuals who also have had the same surgery around the same time as us. It helps to see how each of us are progressing. I too am having cabin fever. I am relying on my 86 year old mother to assist me, don't get me wrong she is in great health and she can work circles around me but you just do not want to get in the car with her. You are taking your life in your own hands (haha) I went to the Dr this past week and I came out of the hard collar and I am in the soft collar which I take off from time to time while I am sitting watching tv just for a break. I too get that pain in the shoulder blades - Doc said that is to be expected and will subside. I wish you luck and I hope that when you go back to the Dr this next Tuesday you can come out of that miserable hard collar. Write back and let me know how your progress is coming along. We may have cabin fever but at least we have modern technology (computers) to be able to talk/vent/support with others.
  • advertisement
  • I was thinking about you and wondering how your appointment went on Tuesday. This week has been a little rough for me for some reason. I am finally able to sleep in the bed but with alot of pillows for props. I think the collar is making my shoulder blades and neck hurt worse. When I take the collar off for awhile, it seems to feel better. But the doc said I have to wear the soft collar for 2 weeks and I have done 1 week so 1 more week to go. My incision looks good, just itches cause it is healing.

Let me know how you are doing.

• Wow, you impress me. I am surprised you were able to go back to work so soon. I have a office job also but I also know I will overdue it as I would rather do it myself than ask for help. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing?

Take Care
  • I too have found comfort in others and their experiences. I am sorry that you are not a candidate for surgery. As scary as it sounds it seems to provide relief. I am not telling you what to do but if you feel strongly about surgery and relief you might want to talk to another dr. Please do not misinterpret that I think you should push for surgery as I do not know you.
  • advertisement
  • CJones,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I feel like I will be able to handle it now and am not so terrified, although I know I'll get worried the week or two before the surgery. I hope you are continuing to have a good recovery.

Do you think it's realistic for me to do some work two weeks after surgery? It would be mostly work at my computer that I could do from my home office and I would also need to attend a few meetings. I'm a consultant and trying to decide if I should take on some work that would need to be done a few weeks after the surgery.

Mary

• I'm 30 days today post ACDF C5-C7, My first weeks were the hardest, and the pain between the shoulders from surgery position was intense at times. But let me tell you this much, when I went into Surgery 6/2/09 at 7am I went in with pain/numbness & tingling in the right arm and fingers, When I woke up from surgery and got my bearings, the arm and fingers were 99% back to normal. The pain was gone and stayed gone. The numbness which was on a scale of 1-10 prior to surgery was staying around 9 in the fingers had gone to 1 after and within 2 weeks has gone to (0) yes Zero. It's hard to learn how to sleep in the hard collar but trust me you'll figure it out. I go back to my surgeon this Monday July 6th I hope I'm released to go back to work. I'm just not the type to stay home, I do walk several miles a day .

G
  • Each person is different and how they heal along with their pain threshold. I have read of individuals who did go back to work after only 2 weeks. I have noticed after my surgery that I was anxious to get on my computer and it all depended on how my arms were positioned. If I stayed on the computer too long then I would get this pain across my shoulders. I said that is my reminder that I was doing too much. But I wish you well with your surgery and with your recovery.
  • Hi cj - I've been away from the computer for a few days, so I'm just now reading up on the messages.

My x-rays looked great & I was able to go into the soft collar, which is so much more comfortable. I'm doing much, much better. I'm only taking tylenol & a muscle relaxer at night. I'm still feeling the aching in the back of my neck & upper shoulders, but from what I understand, that's to be expected.

I've been thinking about everyone here & wondering how everyone is doing. I hope you are progressing & feeling better. Thanks for all of your encouragement.

• gary - that is such good news that you are doing so well & very encouraging for me to hear. I had the surgery a little after you did on 6/16. I hope I am doing as well as you seem to be at that point. How is the acing in your back neck & upper shoulders. Has that eased any as time progresses?

Continued good luck & great recovery to you. It helps to hear the successful stories, too.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.