Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Does it ever get better after after surgey

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wonder after hearing all the stories if it is
going to get better after my surgery on tuesday
I dont want to continue this pain any longer but
I dont want to go through the surgery with no results
Mark
advertisement

Comments

• Yes I hope so - 3 weeks after micro discectomy L5 s1 -I can walk and sit up again --I don’t even want to think about fusion --good luck—I have met 2 fusion survivors in docks office in the last 5 months they say they wood do it again
  • Well for me anyway. Everyone's different, but fusion surgery has come a long way in recent years. Anaesthetics are better, skills are better, hardware is better, drugs are better. I have high hopes for you Mark! All the best.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    After surgery there is the recovery period which is critical to how you will feel later on.
    Probably the most important aspect is to follow ALL restrictions and limitations and continue to do all the exercises that have been approved and outlined for you.

Doing of this, you should have a very high percentage in feeling good down the road.
    Those that do not follow the limitations, etc are the ones that generally have problems for a long time.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I think it also depends alot on the person and the issue at hand. I had a Laminecotomy and discetomy on the 18th of June and thought I'd be drooling on myself with pain meds or in horrible pain the first week after. Had everything prepared at home as if I couldn't do anything. I was up and out of bed at the hospital that night walking the halls and just got back from a 3/4 mile walk around the block a few minutes ago. I thought I would be stuck with the pain I had been experiencing for years for the rest of my life and now, even after surgery and with staples in my back, I feel better than I have in years. It won't all get better quick, you have to be careful afterwards...I haven't bent over or picked things up which can get frustrating but to me it's all worth it. I'm only 33 and have so much I want to do and a much better chance of being able to do it now. Hope all goes well for you, keep us up to date.

Jennifer
  • Hi Mark,

Yes, it does. I think all you hear about online is the negative results, which occur for a host of reasons.

A friend of mine had a fusion in Jan., and while it wasn't much fun for a while, is doing fine now, playing and coaching soccer! I asked him if he regretted it and he said "no way".

In fact, on the local news here last night, they were covering a marathon run, one of the people they interviewed mentioned he had had spine surgery. I thought to myself, finally! it's gotten some GOOD press!

I think the spine surgery specialty should hire a good PR firm! It seems the general public doesn't know much about it, as everyone thinks that every spine surgery is horrible. It isn't; and it helps lots and lots of people. You will be one of them!

Take care and don't worry!

Maryanne
  • advertisement
  • You must always remind yourself: For the most part, those with successful fusions have left the forums, and are out living their lives! Most of us are still here because we undoubtedly still need/want support!

You must ALWAYS take what you read on forums/internet with a grain of salt. It's a place to come where you will find others like you, but we are still NOT YOU! You will always have a different outcome, no matter what, so use positive thinking, and make it a great outcome!

If you've done your research, and know what's expected of you for a healthy recovery, you are all set. All we can do is be there for you, and help you get through the rough times, and laugh with you during the good times.

Be well, keep us posted and GREAT luck on Tuesday!

>:D<
  • Things are generally much better after surgery. Some of us still have issues. Some people don't heal well. But, some of us have to stop and remember just how much agony we were in before surgery. We experience pain afterwards and think, "why is this happening?", but we often forget just how bad the pain was that led us to the drastic surgery we had. I have pain every now and then that I am sure would not have me considering another spinal fusion. I know it was sheer agony before surgery. Now it's very manageable.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• I too feel the same way as you, I have fusion surgery done on the 17th, L4-S1. I am still in intense pain, my back is bruised up. It hurts to wear my brace. I don't really know what I am suppose to be doing. Walking hurts, they say not to sit. I am spacey and dizzy from the drugs,and this makes me nervous about walking around the house without anyone here.

I am having a lot of pain in my legs and the knee that I got my replacement in is swollen as is my right foot. I have IV bruises on my left arm that looks like I was in a bar fight.I worry about taking so many drugs, but if I don't I can't manage the pain. I have asked all over what I should be doing by now, and get no straight answers. My staples itch and they hurt when I am wearing my brace.

I am so sorry for going on and on about my own problems. I know what you are going through, it feels as if it is never going to heal. And the bending thing is driving me crazy, don't really know what I shouldn't be doing.

But I am sure in time we will both heal and hopefully will forgot this point in our lives. Again it's been about me, but this is the first time I have been able to stay awake this long while on the computer, I try to read and post on here and I keep nodding off. Feels like I am falling off a bar stool...LOL!

I don't know if I have helped you any, I've probable freaked you out. so, I am going to let you go, wishing you nothing but the best in healing.

Thanks for reading this,I'm lost in my pain and recovery.
    Deb
  • You only had your fusion a couple of weeks ago, give yourself a chance. I was 19 days in hospital, so you're at the same stage I was when I came home. Please don't expect too much from yourself for a few more weeks yet. The drugs alone will keep you sleepy and dopey, let alone the surgery you've just been through. Make the most of doing nothing, lying back and allowing yourself to be cared for and worrying about nothing, if you possibly can. I bet there haven't been many times in your adult life that you've had to worry about nothing and having others take care of everything. It may never happen again, so make the most of it!

Sleep as much as you can, time passes faster and I believe you heal when you're asleep.

You're on a lot of drugs, I see. I only had Oxycontin and Endone to worry about and I found I felt better and more clear-headed when I started to reduce them. Everyone's pain is different, but if you think you can space out your pain meds, do so and see what happens. If it hurts, try reducing it again in another 10-14 days. If it doesn't, reduce it a bit more in a week. You will feel more positive once you start thinking more clearly again.

One thing I should mention. I came home on what the dr. described as a horse dose. I began reducing within three weeks of coming home. All went well as I went from 40mg to 20mg to 15mg to 10mg but when I hit 5mg I started having withdrawal symptoms which were nasty. So please, take it very slowly, this is no race.

• Mark - I am +22 weeks post op ALIF L5-S1. I would actually say my life is "normal" (no pain, no meds, no physical activity restrictions). I followed my doctor's orders TO THE LETTER (no bending, lifting, twisting, reaching etc) and built up my walking each day.

Surgery gave me my life back.

Best of luck to you - there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and its not always an oncoming train :)))
    -Melissa
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
    May 2017 ALIF L4-L5 with PLF rods added L4-L5-S1
advertisement