Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain and "addiction" if you will...

Comments

• i have a small safe for my drugs ..i know that it may be a little over the top but as least i know where they are !
    STRAKER
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    I then have small silver containers in which I keep one weeks of all my medications in. I keep that with me at all times.
    I really do not have any reason to believe any of my medications would be taken... Both of my children are young adults living on their own. And my wife is in the medical field.
    But still to me it is a sense of protection
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • I think people tend to forget that one of the essential defining characteristics of addiction is that it's a maladaptive behavior.

• It is an interesting experience to be in chronic pain, to say the least. And I agree, the constant state of pain can wear even the strongest down. I battled with myself for a year underperscribing my medication for the fear of the meds.

The extra piece of my life is that I have been sober since 8/2/94 - so I have to be extra diliquent in my choice of meds. At this point narcotics are off the table...but taking tramadol doesn't mean i cannot abuse the meds. This was a decision I made with the doctors and my aa sponsor. I am sure that i could be more confortable, but i can't risk it.

One thing that I have accepted for myself is that I am grateful for the medication. I would be balled up in a corner, crying, unable to take care of my business (which 3 employees depend on for their income) and my 2 young children.

When this all started over 2 years ago, who knew this would be a chronic pain adventure. I am hoping for some end - as we all are - What I could handle in the beginning - when I though things were temporary, is different today. But also, my body has adjusted somewhat to the 'constant' pain, I don't search for complete relief, just to be more comfortable. I guess that is what they mean by pain management - Not complete relief, just mananged!
    pfm
  • Dependency vs. addiction. Unfortunately the terms are often used interchangeably. If I look at the dictionary I could be addicted to Fast cars as well as a chemical addiction to narcotics. I can also be dependent upon something (e.g. food) or drugs (or in a childs case thier parents). To me there is not much difference but there is a fine line based upon the context upon which drugs are taken.

When I broke both arms I only took Paracetemol (i.e. over the counter stuff and best known brand in US in Tylenol) in spite of being offered more powerful stuff. I now have back problem and on Oxycontin (and while a relatively short time compared to many spineys, have never experienced a high)! At the moment I would classify myself as dependent (for pain management just as those taking antibiotics to help fight an infection). Addicted? Not yet! Addiction may depend upon my body’s personal chemistry, time duration I remain on the drug (which may depend upon the doctors’ rights to request follow up MRI’s etc to monitor the anatomical improvement) and the doctors’ skills in general.

I tend to believe each person reacts slightly different to drugs. In the case of Alcohol (and I am definitely not having any of that now) I tend to feel dehydrated and get headaches so I drink lots of water, another in family is a happy drunk, yet sadly for another, the first drink effects his brain to such an extent it is total inhibition, cannot stop and trouble (and as such held a secretary position in AA for a decade and dry for 2 decades). Each reacts differently to the chemical (alcohol). If we consider the Opium based (narcotic) drugs and look at the packaging information for OxyContin the % variance of side effects (e.g. Constipation and Nausea 23%) is significant and would also expect a variance on people’s addiction (need for the drug after the anatomical condition is repaired).

If someone is in genuine pain, needs drugs for pain management and under professional (doctors) supervision I have no doubt the doctor will help them get over them should an addiction occur via drug substitution (and have seen some blogs on this already) or other methods. For those acquiring medications illegally they are probably not administering as per recommendation (in case of OxyContin have read stories that they are crushing and snorting large amount and if read the packaging this sudden high dose can lead to heart issues including failure i.e. death), would guess it will effect them differently, they may have damaged various parts of their body and having acted illegally may be reluctant to get the support of their doctor.

Controls over the distribution of drugs will remain a balancing act by the governments of the day to meet the genuine needs while protecting the wider community. Unfortunately the separation of correct use vs. the illicit use is rarely made clear as it does not suit those campaigning to ban drugs (possibly in good conscious because they have lost family members or their media stars from illicit or poorly administered use).

I can only hope (and we can only advocate) that the community attitude for those (such as spineys) on legally prescribed drugs is different to those on drugs illegally acquired. After all, how many people have seen a war film where the injured soldier (with limbs blown off) has been injected with Morphine by the medic? I would suggest the answer is everyone! How many have immediately labeled the soldier as an addict or would ban pain killer drugs for the soldier? I would suspect the answer is none! Correct use of drugs needs to be facilitated.

Sorry for the long reply but the reading and typing briefly takes my mind away from the pain (while I hopefully recover). Note: I am not a doctor and do not work in the drug or medical field so this is my unprofessional opinion. I am just someone hopefully passing through a difficult time.

Best wishes to everyone out there.
    Terry >:D<
  • advertisement
  • I have suffered chronic pain for several years and must take narcotics(Oxycodone) for my savage pain. I have never gotten "high" from this med nor suffered withdeawls when I have stopped taking them. I think this ides af becoming an addict because you take narcotics is highly overated put into our heads by the news groups and some Doctors.
    A Doctor explained to me once that when you are in pain you can't become addicted to pain meds coz the pain absorbs the meds. I believe this.
    Kids take Oxycontin and crush it to get "high". Never crush your meds and you will be fine.
    Patsy W
  • I , when on pain killers, never felt euphoric. Yet, if one is in pain and they accidentally do feel good,for a few, is there anything wrong with that?
    Pain is especially grating to our emotional state, so if one can find a little relief...good for them, good for their constitution, and a blessing for those who care about their level of comfort.
    I don't think anyone writing, here, suffers from always having no pain. Nor are we addicted to discomfort. Find what is good for you. The finding, or search thereof, is what may keep one going.
    I will not go quietly into the night, were I to have me druthers! Take care.
  • if you are in permanent pain {severe} and you are on narcotics the majority wont feel euphoric {maybe a little at first..i just felt sick!} the reason for this is your brain uses the narcotics to mask the pain {anyone that has ran out of the script and been left high and dry will tell you that pain come back with a vengeance and some!...and as soon as they start taking there pain killers they dont get high all that happens is the pain is more manageable }
    the only person i knew that got high was my gran on the last week of her life in hospital when she was given large quantities of morphine she keep seeing things like angels and other things that weren't there eventually the cancer and pain killers did there worst and i believe that she is in a better place now
    STRAKER
  • Bob, yes, none of us here will ever be able to say they are addicted to pain, although there are some out there that are.

Straker, sorry if this offends you in your faith, but I'd like to think that those angels WERE there, waiting to take your gran home.

• My idea of addiction is perhaps a little different. I think of addiction as taking more than you're supposed to, stealing to get more, hurting others to get your fix. I do not think of addiction as wanting pain relief, asking for pain relief, getting meds for that relief, and taking them as prescribed. If a doctor gives you 4 oxy's to take a day and you take those 4 oxy's a day then you are not addicted. You are doing what you and your doctor have decided to do to give you comfort. I think some or a lot of doctors are more afraid of either getting in trouble with the govt or medical suits and get skittish on giving out pain meds. One of the many reasons for the higher costs of insurance and procedures, cause of their need of malpractice insurance. Once again it's those people who try to screw over the system that actually screw over people wanting to do the right thing. Anyway, if more people and doctors understood our need to just feel normal with medications and not our want to get "high" I think everything would be a lot better. For crying out loud, that's the reason medications like those were made in the first place. Now, we have to get cold and allergy meds from the pharmacy and sign all our info cause of crack/meth heads. Now that's addiction.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.