Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hip pain with herniated disc?

Comments

• sciatica1ssciatica1 Posts: 1
    edited 09/04/2015 - 8:51 AM
    i have the same symptoms- thought i had bursitis (x-ray done was fine)- i had a cortisone shot which did not help- after 7 mos- returned to ortho yesterday w/ worsening symptoms- lower back discomfort with buttocks/ hip/upper thigh pain and now some tingling and numbness down side and front of leg.... worse after walking and sitting (i am an avid walker/ hiker) - md believes herniated disc - i think she said probably l3 from her exam. mri scheduled for next week.
    pain comes and goes but deep burning ache in upper thigh is worse at night while 'trying to sleep'. has woken me up many nights. it is nice to hear others w/ same symptoms- i have not found much online so was glad to find this site.

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • matthew182mmatthew182 Posts: 8
    edited 11/23/2015 - 9:07 PM
    Like to add on the bananas and many natural fruits- anti inflamatory- and the banana is also alkaline and helps deal with the pain NSAIDs which as many as we are taking for this condition is needed. I find that two extra strength Tylenol has helped me the most that's 1000 mg. it's harsh and need it for a 5 hour period but it was like night and day and I'm 3 months in with mild symptoms that make me beg for relief. This made me nearly suicidal and still really struggling with it at 3 and a half months. Also felt like a hip thing for me in the begining- mine was so bad I couldn't do anything and my knees and legs are weak now. Have mri confirming nerve impingemt- I get why docs are skeptical for checking with mri- but omg it's like having everything bad happen to your leg at once! Take care of it get blood flow- move but carefully - I had a relapse putting shoes on and my spinal column radiates pain from being so crooked upon awakening and I really thought it was a hip issue. It was L5 s1 compressed disk with large disk herniation and a bulge above it slight. Eating well and getting all the nutriants you can helps walking deffinitely and take the pain killers because the muscles pulling around can cause more harm as I experienced that the hard way.. I'm worried that my disk has fragmented because I have this prick in my back that does not go away and sometimes it just catches and makes everything so much worse- flat on the ground cry worse. Hope there is some help here good luck everyone and screw our pathetic spine design for earth and its heavy gravity.
  • advertisement
  • arc60aarc60 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 2
    Wow!  I guess I'm not the only one! 

I had pretty serious back pain for a few weeks.  Then a lightening bolt struck me walking thru the kitchen (well, that IS what it felt like!). Enter the excruciating hip and front/Side of thigh pain.  Trips to multiple urgent cares and the ER yielded nothing more bottles of pain pills. 

Could not move without great assistance.  Could not get up from a seated position.  Could not lay down or get out of bed without bear hug type help. Could not walk without a walker.   And most all of the pain seemed to be my left hip.  I had never had one iota of problems with my hip prior.

Finally being hauled out of the house by paramedics and being transported  to the hospital via ambulance yielded an MRI.  At this point I had no reflexes left in my left leg and could not feel the pins they were poking me with.  Result:. Sequestered herniation of L4L5.  And microdiscectomy within 2 hours of hospital arrival.  As it took weeks to discover, the nerve was smushed to a point that it's never fully recovered (1 yr 9 mos. post op).

Yes it helped.  But I'm by no means back to what I once was.  Most any non seated activity, outside of walking, leads to heating pads, pain meds and varying degrees of suffering.  

My hip continues to hurt each and every day.  Some days not as much but always there.  My thigh is still partially numb.  I have no reflexes in my left leg.  My balance and gait are goofed up a bit.  Climbing stairs is very difficult.  I have to use my hands to lift my leg into the car as some of the muscles no longer work.  I get random charlie horses is my hamstring (certain movements definitely trigger them).

And all I wonder is 'what if they would have MRI'd me the first time I went to the ER?'. Would I still be able to garden?  Scuba dive?  Get in my husband's motorcycle?  Not look at a flight of stairs and sigh?  

Yes!!  Disc problems can cause hip pain and debilitation!!   

• LizLiz Posts: 9,765
    hello arc60

this is an old discussion the member that created it is no longer on the forum.
    for support i suggest you create a new discussion
    please click on the link for useful information

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.