Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Medicinal Maijuana for Nerve Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
I hope someone/ anyone can help me - I have been suffering from chronic back/sciatica pain for over 2 years now - I had a spinal fusion in January but I still have leg pain and numbness in my heel that hurts and drives me crazy. As of March I was taken off of all narcotic pain meds (Oxycontin) and my Dr. has put me on a form of Tramadol - it is a 24 hour time release pill that I take each morning with 2 Tylenol the problem is it never really takes the pain away and I am taking on average 4-6 tylenol a day, it also makes it next to impossible to sleep so now I have started taking Gravol each night to get to sleep - I also have to take medications for heartburn I think because of all the anti-inflmmatories I took for 2 years.
I am sseing my Doctor on Monday and I was going to ask him for medicinal marijuana - the problem is I don't smoke so I would need a pill format. I wanted to know if anyone has tried using this for nerve pain and if it helps.
And if not that does anyone have any advice as to what I should be trying - I am so tired of not feeling well.
advertisement

Comments

• Have you tried gabapentin or Lyrica for the nerve pain?
  • I have tried Lyrica - I think I wanted it to work more than it actually did - my Doctor said that Lyrica is for Neurological Nerve pain and that mine is a pyshically damaged nerve so the nerve blockers won't work - I don't know, but I do know my Doctor isn't quick to give out any meds especially the strong ones that actually work.
  • advertisement
  • Vaporize...
  • I take cymbalta which seems to help the leg pain and numbness. I've been on it for 6 weeks now and only take 1 lyrica but my Dr thinks the cymbalta alone will help the nerve pain and she doubled the dose today. So far so good but it doesn't really help the back pain and I take other meds for that. I'm not sure if medical marijuana works for nerve pain but I know it helps nausea and helps you relax. Good luck with your treatment. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I hate to admit I inhaled, but I did(if you are old enough, you will get the reference :D ). I flew to visit my daughter in Florida last summer. As you can see from my signature, I have lots of problems., and lots of pain. I was miserable the first night. The second night, she gave me an inhaler.after about 4-5 hits, I was feeling better. I slept better that night than before or since, and was in much less pain the rest of the week, by very minimal use. I sure wanted to bring some home on the airplane, but I could just see the headlines......."61 year old arrested on plane for smuggeling pot =)) " Didn't think that would go over very well with my job.

You should discuss it with your dr, but don't be afraid to ask. After all, all he can say is no! He isn't going to arrest you for asking about it, LOL. I would rather use a natural substance than synthetic medications any day. And I agree, your stomach problems are probably from the meds. Good luck in finding something that works.

Maggie
  • advertisement
  • MaggieP said:
    I she gave me an inhaler.after about 4-5 hits, I sure wanted to bring some home on the airplane, but I could just see the headlines......."61 year old arrested on plane for smuggeling pot =)) " Didn't think that would go over very well with my job.

You should discuss it with your dr, but don't be afraid to ask. After all, all he can say is no! He isn't going to arrest you for asking about it, LOL. I would rather use a natural substance than synthetic medications any day.
    Maggie
    LMAO....LOL...its better then any synthetic no doubt but unhealthy to smoke..you should vaporize or bake it...
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
  • I hate to be overly rational, but if your doctor "isn't quick to give out any meds especially the strong ones that actually work" then why would you expect him to agree to give you medical marijuana, of all things? :?
  • If your PM doctor isn't willing to help you with something stronger, would you consider going to another? I too have a feeling that he may not go for the medical maryjane. Have you had a post op MRI to see what else may be going on to explain the pain? If something is up then I'm sure your doctor wouldn't mind adjusting or changing your meds.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.