Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

The plan has changed....I think (now waiting for confirmation)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone - I have been reading alot from everyone, preparing myself for what I thought was just going to be ACDF. However, yesterday I received my dr's progress notes regarding my CAT SCAN, and plans for surgery - here is what it says:


1. C4-C5 degenerative disc disease with Kyphosis and C6 cystic lesion approx. 50%vertebral body

2. C7 hemangioma

3. Significant mechanical pain as well as neurologic symptoms, C7 radiculopathy.


1. Proceed with ACDF at C4-C-5

2. Review films ""w/colleagues"" and determine if C5-C-6 and C-6-C-7 should be instrumented and fused to protect her C6 verebral body for which she feels pain symptomatology with axial loading or mechanical movement of her neck. This is to avoid impending pathologic fracture.

So needless to say I not sure what is going on - I just know I really do not want him to go through the back of my neck since it will mean having my trap muscles cut --- which I hear is just horrible.

I did call the office, with hopes in finding out ""IF" the orginal plan of ACDF has changed or not. At that point and time I was not presented to my drs colleagues, he is hoping next week to get back to me. However, I responded by saying "OH whenever he has time, otherwise I will see him on the 29th"........now thinking about it OH MY GOD I NEED TO KNOW NOW, NOT LATER WHAT HE PLANS ON DOING!!!

Any suggestions? my dr did tell me, what i have is rare - which is why he is consulting with others.

thanks for help or information about your experience if you had the same thing :)


  • I'm not sure where you are reading that he intends to go posteriorly? I've never had surgery on my neck, so I'm sorry if this question is dense :/
  • Where does the doctor say posterior approach? It says he will proceed with ACDF on line 1. Your right about the posterior pain. I had a cervical laminectomy at C3 and the approach was in the back of the neck by the Trap muscles. To be honest I've had both operations done and the pain levels are tied. Only thing different this time was I dont have to wear a collar full time. Only at work at my desk and in the car. Its a soft collar this time too. I rather have it on then off however, I feel more protected if I sneeze or jerk.

    Good Luck Hun :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • advertisement
  • i read your post and it is different for you - due to the fact that it is about you and your neck.

    Though the wait to find out what exactly the doctor will be doing can seem like an eternity....it sounds like your doctor has your best interests at the fore front. Applaud his humility to make certain he has all his colleagues opinions...sounds like you are in great hands.

  • Thank you for responding - the back of the neck or post. is just from our conversation we had. He mentioned he can do everything from the front, but it depends on what physically he is going to do. The more intense the surgery, he prefers to go in through the back rather than the front.

    At this point and time I only consented for ACDF, which may change the day of surgery.

    Baffled - I am very grateful, his ego is not in the way of determining what is best for me. he is a caring man who clearly stated he is conservative and does not like to perform surgery if he thinks the outcome will not be an improvement -- he does not want his patients to regret having gone through it.

    the "unknown" of waiting is what has my nervous on edge.
  • don't fear the incision sight swim-mom. They are all painful. I been cut open in the front and the back and the pain scale isn't fun on either of them. They will make you as comfy as possible at the hospital. You will need help with the kids regardless of the operation your doctor decides on. Hope this helps:)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.