Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Real Pain and Real Psych or Brain/Body Links

Comments

• I so agree with everything that has been said here. I agreed with Michael's post, too, but Angie, I think you were more eloquent and wrote it so that people would understand the point better.
    The one thing that I would add to this, would be fear. Fear that a procedure won't work, and the person would not find the relief they were looking for. The one important thing that we have to remember, is that any surgery or other procedure is most likely not going to end all of our pain, it may help with some, but probably won't get rid of it entirely, and that is something that we all have to accept. I was very lucky that my surgeon stressed that point for me, that my surgery would take care of the radicular pain only, but I would always have a stiff, painful neck for the rest of my life. He was right, so my quest, after recovering from surgery, was finding that "blend" that PapaRon has mentioned, to get my pain levels to a tolerable level. And I am so lucky, that I have. I can now live with the pain that I have, I might not be able to do what I used to be able to do, but at least I can go to work, and get a little bit of housework done each day after, and have been able to enjoy a little more activities with my boyfriend since finding that. It might put me out come night time, but hey, I'm going to bed, and getting the rest that I need to face the next day (most nights, there are still some that sneak in there where I just can't sleep for whatever reason).
    I also thank you for mentiong the pain scale. Every time you experience pain that is worse than ever before, you now have to adjust your pain scale accordingly, instead of saying it's a 20. I've had to adjust mine (and my way of thinking) several times throughout my journey, and once I realized I had to, it made that aspect of it a little easier to accept (because what once was let's say a 7, now became a 5, because of the new, intolerable pain that took over the place of 10) We have to remember that 10 is the worst pain that we have ever experienced, but it is hard to remember that something else was so much more painful, when you are in so much pain at the moment. (then again, anyone who has been through labour might not find it so hard to remember :))) )
    Anyways, thank you Angie, for sharing your story, as hard as it might have been, it will help someone out there, even if only one person, that is one person who feels better because of you. I'm so sorry about all that you've had to endure, and continue to battle. I wish you peace, and relief each day!!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • it's a new day and it's sunny here. i hope it's sunny for you too. we awake and make our plans...each day's a challenge just like everyone else we march forward. little gains make us happy. little things give us joy. life is good. we're no different than anyone else.
    have a good one...pete
  • advertisement
  • I think I am ready to own up to, what I can only refer to as, my new life. Thank You, for posting,
    for reading, and sharing. Nothing is easy.
    My difficulty lies between--- I think this will work
    and hostility when it doesn't. I know the majority of my anguish causes deep impacts to my demeanor.
    Not an excuse, but, my Symp. nerv. sys. does play a signifigant role in the cycle. All I wanted was HOPE.
    I am beginning to have severe reactions to any treatments. No one can find my veins since my first block. Now it takes at least a half an hour to I.V. me. Talk about iatrogenic! A little poke is enough to
    send me primal. Everything!!! is translated as an attack. That is the only drawback to my fully accepting RSD. Can one blame anger stemming from false hopes? Doc said blocks would "CURE" me. Made it all worse! Now, it is my bad! for their lack of prolonged relief. Sorry so long.
    To the point. My shrink is good about RSD. At least the mental aspects. He tells me I am wrong, all the time. Not a wise choice. He's earned my respect!
    I will own this malady, when I get to stop convincing others about it. There is a fine line between dwelling on the pain, which I try to avoid-makes it worse, and recounting constantly, where I avoid making it worse!
    Thanks for all words posted here. Good, bad, ugly...
    better than reading only my own!
  • there is definitely a link between psychology and pain as a recent newspaper article outlines https://www.theage.com.au/world/the-curse-of-tolerating-pain-20090712-dhct.html and this is without it being chronic pain. with chronic pain however the situation would be worse and made more complex with side effects of drugs etc and sometimes even withdrawal as well as duration. this does not however lessen the fact that real pain does exist (normally it is natural body function to tell us something is wrong). pain regardless of it being a physiological (i.e. cause can be seen or identified from medical images, tests or with the cause yet to be found) or psychological based, must be treated. if i look at the “national institute for neurological disorders and stroke” site https://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chronic_pain/chronic_pain.htm it states “some are treated with placebos with success” so psychological based pain is recognized and treated. i think we need to hope for correct diagnosis and treatment!

the only thing i find annoying is when others (including medical staff) simply dismiss pain.

also like the reply by bionicwoman with the diagram (and may bookmark it as have not worked out where i am now). in terms of ernurse i have read many of your comments and can only say thank you and keep posting!
    kind regards >:d<
    terry
  • I'm not going to write a long post but just wanted to say that I see little resemblence to your post and the one Michael wrote. What I saw in your words was the picture of someone who has had to admit there is a psychological impact to being chronically ill. I couldn't agree more and it is a tough adjustment. I was sickly from the time I was a toddler, on medications my whole life, with many major surgeries beginning when I was just 16. It wasn't until I went into a major clinical depression in my late 40's that I got the psychological help that made me realize I'd suffered from depression from the time I was a young child. Chronic illness makes you feel very "different" and packs a huge psychological wallop. We all want to just feel and to actually BE "normal".

I want to thank you for taking the time to share from your heart about how your chronic pain has changed your life. >:D<
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,434
    then the one created a couple of days ago. Facts are that so many members here are dealing with chronic pain. Some much longer than others. I really believe as you deal with chronic pain for a long period of time, not only do you have the physical problems but there are many emotional problems that go along with it.
    For now, put aside the emotional pain dealing with family, friends and co-workers. More to the point, your own emotional difficulties.
    You get up every morning knowing you are going to have pain and a difficult day. As that continues day after day, it almost becomes a habit, so without a doubt you will have a difficult day even if you are physically feeling better.
    I went to some counselor for a while because I was getting depressed that no matter what I did, no matter what treatments I was taking I was always going to be this way. Talking it over with a professional helped so much. It wasnt eye opening or any great discussions, it was just verifying some of my own thoughts on life, pain, etc.
    I came away from that realizing that we can be our own worst enemies. If we look at the negative side, thats all we are going to see. Pain will be so much more intense, even though it isnt.
    Positive approaches help control that pain... Its there, but you realizes it isnt going to get the best of you.
    We all seek doctors to help with our medical problems and we are given medications to deal with this. And we have all sorts of treatments to maintain some stability. Thats taking care of our physical side. How about our mental side. Its not as easy as just taking a pill to fix that, its work and its opening our eyes to everything.

Angie, you did a very good service creating this thread. I think it extends what Michael was trying to say.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Excellent way to present this and keep from losing some of what Michael was trying to get across. I know we have butted heads over the years, but I have always had a great respect for what you have had to offer to those that come to Spine Health.

The issue with the temp handicap placard, is very understandable. I have dealt with that same battle, only in regards to using a walker or cane and most recently a bracelet. I have always resisted getting a medic ID bracelet, but after the encouragement of the doc and the rep, I took a hard look at the issue. I have done so much traveling and because I don't look "disabled" or whatever you would call it, if I were to be injured or have a bad reaction to meds, no one would think I have a cervical SCS.

While researching the effects of getting an MRI if you have an implanted SCS, I realized it could be life threatening if I were to have one, no matter who or how it's conducted. That coupled with a couple severe medication allergies, I realized that what I was being told, was in my own best interest. However wearing an ID bracelet to me seems like I am screaming out to the world that I'm a wuss and feel sorry for me, or some stupid thing like that.

With the SCS it is so easy to look so normal and feel so much better. I love being able to just blend in with the crowd, so the thought of bringing it to everyone's attention via the bracelet just hit me hard.

I had to grow up and "get over it". That's what it took for me.

When I initially went for the rapid detox and then the SCS, the pain management doc required working with a behavior management/pain management therapist. This was one of the best things he could have done. The combination of the therapist and the pain management from the doc and SCS, helped me put everything in perspective and keep it there.

Anyway I'm rambling now. Thanks for the post and thanks for all your continued harassment via Spine Health. I think that there are a few good names left out there, where you shouldn't have to give BionicWoman too much grief. BatteryBabe, ElectricNurse, BionicBroad, GeneratorGirl, LeadLady, just to name a few. :-)

Take care,

"C"
  • when you are woken up every night at around 3.00 am in horrible pain .and i wont use the ..o my pain is 20/10!!! its just pain end of story .from the bed its down to the recliner .more pain killers and the acticare goes on .then i will try to get some more sleep on my chair ..after that i will shower and depending on how bad my pain is i will get back on my chair or if feeling a little brave i may go to the pool ..but if i have ventured to the pool .when i return home i will be finished and need to get back on my chair to rest ..this is my life ..i am a strong willed person and i dont believe in its mind over matter or any other mumbo jumbo i have real sever damage to my spine and other congenital abnormalities and they can not be fixed ..i have to live with it ..its not easy but its not impossible ..i visit spine health for support and to help others ..i was annoyed about the other post that suggested pain was all in the mind ..because for most of us its a very real problem ..
    STRAKER
  • my theory is that the mind can help you accept the crap we all have to live with. once you convince yourself you can live with it and just enjoy the few things you see, hear, and do it's not so bad.
    if you compare how you are to what you were it will drive you crazy. it takes a long time to just accept it.
    maybe i'm crazy in the head but i try to look at the challenges of everyday as a test of what i can do. i look at a flight of stairs i must go down as a challenge. how do i get down. whats the safest way down. you and i have more challenges than most people. when we finish our days we are tired. yah its our life but it is a life and if we just take it as it comes. we'll get something from it.
    anyway did you go swimming. i went for motor bike ride. had some pain but i enjoyed it. my daughter is up from new york and she rode her bicycle with me!
    well, have a good one...pete
  • I see strength in acceptance after the denial, bargaining cycle of Kubler/Ross. Your whole life is changed by this spine "injury" I see the shock of my relatives at a wedding shower and "wow what happened?" It's difficult to show up with a cane and 30 pounds heavier due to immobility and lyrica. "yes that's right lyrica" not all the times crying and reaaching for that little treat that we so deserve. After reaching "success" in whatever career, now being disabled for how long and maybe permanently is hard to accept and not be willing to accept it as forever. Being seen as a strong woman/nurse or a strong man some may see disability as a weakness but know you're a strong peson just to even partially accept the disability. We who considered ourselves strong before now know we are stronger for having to go through all this. It's hard to see yourself as a strong person when you have a disability because you don't have the same stature you've always been used to. All my family saw me as look at who you were before and now look at you. I felt kind of a disappointment that I may never work again as a nurse but I've done my "duty" for so long 21 years and I feel that I've done enough already. That makes it easier for me to accept this LTD and it maybe not be forever if pain can be controlled. You're still making a contribution to others just by being here sharing and help others get through the days. I say to myself "I'm getting better everday" even if it's learning acceptance and learning how to cope. See my signature positive affirmations have helped me get by as well as some counselling when I first was injured. As Ron says it becomes a habit. I see it as changing the negative scripts that we've placed on our limitations and accept positive affirmations that can change you to a more positive thinker but I think we all need to do the grieving and it's then we need all the support we can get and it's normal to do so. Isolating is easy for us but it's great to force yourself to do a little more everday and that's what makes you stronger. I hope you feel better and I forgot to add in my sig. I had nose surgery. lol? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.