Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MRI Results - Lots of Pain On & Off - Help!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been suffering with really bad neck/shoulder pain/tingling for the past 5-10 years. I had an MRI exam done and have the written results but no idea how to decipher it. My family doctor explained it briefly but it seems that other than the usual physiotherapy which my body hasn't responded to, that there's very little she has done regarding this issue.

Here's the summary of my MRI results:

-----------------------------------------------

- THere is straigthening of the cervical curve

C6-7, moderate degenerative discal disease and posterior facet disease. The canal size and neural foramina are maintained.

C5-6, at least moderate degenerative discal disease and posterior facet disease. The left paracentral focal osteophyte and focal disc pathology. This just touches the left anterior hemicord. Canal size is maintained. Moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

C4-5, moderate degenerative discal disease and posterior facet disease. The canal size and neural foramina are maintained.

C3-4 and C2-3 levels show degenerative discal disease and posterior facet disease. The root canal and neural foramina are compromised.

The visualized posterior fossa structures are normal. The tonsils are in good position.

The cervical and thoracic cord are of normal calibre and signal.

Impressions:
1. Degenerative discal disease and posterior facet disease.
2. Minimal neural foraminal narrowing, no definitive compressive neuropathy is seen.

---------------------------------------------

THese were the results 3 years ago as the test was done on Sept. 16th, 2006. Since then, I can repeated episodes where something triggers extreme amount of pain/tingling that goes from the lower left side of my next, across my shoulder and slightly into my arm.

For example, this morning I had a shower and was drying my hair with a towel and I must have pressed up against my head in the wrong way because all of a sudden, I felt it right away in the neck and it has progressively gotten worse throughout the day today where I can barely move my neck and regular pain killers do absolutely nothing.

I do have an appointment scheduled with a pain clinic in 2 weeks but was really hoping to get some feedback. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Marco
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, and welcome! You should probably take it easy until your appointment. A lot can change in 3 years when it comes to your spine, so don't overdo it. If it gets really bad, call your doctor and see if they can get you in sooner, if not, there is always the ER. (and we all know how much fun those places are :( )

Good luck, and I hope you begin to feel better soon!
    >:D<
  • P=Posture
    A=Analgesics
    I=Ice
    N=Neutralization

re: Dr Schoffelman's book "What to Do For A Pain in the NEck: The Complete Program for Neck Pain Relief"

• advertisement
  • Hi, I would ask my doctor for a repeat mri scan and following that ask for a ref to neuro surg so that they can give you some direction on how to manage daily and especially so that you do not do any further damage, unfortunately it is common practice after scans/tests that the patient either does not get the results or if they do like you they are not delivered in manner that a lay person can understand and instead you get the medical jargon,the spine is made up of 33 vertabra which are just bones,the c1-c7 vertabra support the head and neck from the original mri it sounds like the spongy discs in between each vertabra have worn over time,at c3-4 & c2-3 it may be that their is some damage to the nerves hence the pain you are experiencing, maybe at your pain appointment accupunture might be an alternative to strong pain killers, the problem with strong pain killers is that the different ones work on different receptors in the brain however, not everyone can metabolise pain killers into morphine in their body to attack pain. gabapentin and pregablin can be effective for nerve pain they are normally used for epilepsy, I am not a doctor but I hope some of the information has been useful, wish you all the best with your pain appoint, write a list of questions for the pain consultant when you go,kind regards
  • Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely look it up. Any other books that are must reads for neck pain sufferers?
    bridgie said:
    P=Posture
    A=Analgesics
    I=Ice
    N=Neutralization

re: Dr Schoffelman's book "What to Do For A Pain in the NEck: The Complete Program for Neck Pain Relief"

• Isn't this the truth!!
    kamakaze said:
    it is common practice after scans/tests that the patient either does not get the results or if they do like you they are not delivered in manner that a lay person can understand and instead you get the medical jargon
    Great breakdown. Wish my doctor would have explained it that way. My pain clinic appointment is on the 27th, not too far away. Hopefully they will have some constructive feedback. I'm also hoping they will send me for a new MRI to see if things have gotten any worse.

Thanks for the feedback... just wish there was more I could do to avoid these types of episodes. They used to be few and far between but I've now had at lest 2 or 3 in the past 3 months which usually puts me out of commission for at least a week before I regain some mobility in my neck.

Marco
    kamakaze said:
    the spine is made up of 33 vertabra which are just bones,the c1-c7 vertabra support the head and neck from the original mri it sounds like the spongy discs in between each vertabra have worn over time,at c3-4 & c2-3 it may be that their is some damage to the nerves hence the pain you are experiencing, maybe at your pain appointment accupunture might be an alternative to strong pain killers, the problem with strong pain killers is that the different ones work on different receptors in the brain however, not everyone can metabolise pain killers into morphine in their body to attack pain. gabapentin and pregablin can be effective for nerve pain they are normally used for epilepsy, I am not a doctor but I hope some of the information has been useful, wish you all the best with your pain appoint, write a list of questions for the pain consultant when you go,kind regards
  • advertisement
  • Hi PJ glad you found last post useful, I am off to see my neurosurg thurs to discuss further treatment options ect for my back, hopefully you will get some answers at the pain clinic, ask them to write down what you can and cant do so that you dont exacerbate your condition further, have you tried some heat patches for your neck or ask your doctor if you are suitable to have some anti-imflamm gel like volterol,they will not take the pain away but may help take the edge off it, kind regards
advertisement