Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Living in chronic pain after an active life

coyotewildwomanccoyotewildwoman Posts: 130
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi, I had a failed lamin/ disc. and am pretty much in constant lower back pain and sciatica.

I have been considering my various options, which include living with it coupled with drugs, disc replacement, or biologics . It has been 2.5 years of almost constant pain which limits my ability to work and enjoy an active lifestyle. Need to do something!

It is very challenging to work when I can't sit for more than 30 minutes at a time and from what I have read from other members of the forum, I am not alone. My family also feels like they have to wait on me because I can't carry any amount of weight, can't pick up things easily, and need help hauling just about anything. Feeling often dependent on others is perhaps one of the hardest things for me.

Wanted to start participating in the forum more actively. I have been reading the forum for about a year, but want to become more active on it at this point since it appears my back issues are here to stay for awhile.

Just wanted to introduce myself formally to the group-

Wendy
advertisement

Comments

• I am happy that you have decided to participate more in the forums. We all share a common bond for sure. It is wonderful to have the support of others and also to pay it forward.

Again, welcome!

Marianne
  • Hi Wendy am loving that I need to do something and you are correct, set small objectives that are part of bigger ones, make it difficult. Once you begin to look forward you will see the things that you can do and not measure yourself against what you did previously and how you were measured then, for me it was academic text, to research all that was possible about CP, from Sternbach or Malzack and Wall.

As you, I live most of my life now at waist height with no bending or lifting at best living your life at 30 min opportunities is very difficult and many here are doing just that and pacing is the key, find our for you what does not make it worse and do that, I have achieved tremendous things in short bursts and my bigger goals are progressive and continual, do not forget the sight of you and let the pain dictate a disproportionate aspect to your needs and wants. All of this take time patience and practice and kindness to yourself and others, nobody likes to be reliant on others and especially pain patients who were active, when all that has gone.

Do what you can when you can and express your frustration with others here or where ever, just get it out, non of that is easy but it will help in the future. I have had my pain two decades and researched pain at the local university and continue to do so.

Within this site is the blueprint of how to maintain a progressive strategy.

Take care and keep posting, welcome

John
  • advertisement
  • It is unfortunate to welcome anyone to this group but I am sure you will find people in very similar circumstances and definitely experienced in pain.

I was also relatively active up until a few years ago (in fact competed in triathlon many years ago). As you have been visiting the site for a long time I take it you have read most of the articles and seen the videos. What has changed recently to join and post 3 questions in less than 15 minutes? One of your comments indicates you may have changed your perspective on your condition recently ("back issues here to stay for a while")? What are you experiencing now? What are the doctors saying?

I hope you are getting the medical support you need and if you need someone to communicate or offload on then I am here along with many other members.

Best wishes and kindest regards >:D<
    Terry
  • i could have written your post! i know how you feel .all i can say is just do what you can when you can ..i am sick of fighting it ,
    STRAKER
  • i could have written your post! i know how you feel .all i can say is just do what you can when you can ..i am sick of fighting it ,
    STRAKER
  • advertisement
  • I too have said something like "I am tired of fighting it" and when I do, I notice that I am trying to avoid at all cost, the pain. I find that I have to change me, to accept it and open to it. I fidn it hard not to focus on it as a catatrophic issue, but I know that I need to re-focus on not fighting it and just release it.
  • :H Welcome - Thanks for posting your story and joining us in conversation. You will find a lot of support and community here where you are safe to voice and vent anything that's on your mind.

There are so many changes we must face when dealing with chronic pain, as you noted in your post. One thing I've learned through the years is to be flexible and adaptable in the business world (as it relates to your job) and I think that has served me well in dealing with the change to my life due to sciatic pain. I use my problem solving skills learned on the job to apply to my life to try and open new avenues of experience.

We all tend to mourn the life we had before chronic pain but I think the key to getting through this is to use where we are now as a launch pad (so to speak) to anothe phase of our life. Just as we "redecorate" our homes, we have to change our lives to support where we are now.

Take care Wendy and look forward to more posts from you.

Judy
  • I think I have finally accepted the need to communicate with people who really "get it".

I have found a need and desire to connect with a community of people who also are similarly challenged -to see how they make it through the day.

I also believe I may have something to offer to this community- and feel that it is something I should share.

I find that my friends are supportive, and my family tries the best they can, but with them, I have created the persona of being super competent, capable and forever strong and enduring. So it is what they see and what they expect.

I am not saying that I am not some of that any longer, but am finally accepting my own "differently ableness" now is not going away- at least any time soon.

I have to ask for help, and it is hard for friends and family and me to accept. Particularly for me.

However, it is one of the big reasons, I believe, that I have some of the problems I have now, because I pushed too hard, did not set boundaries and limits and did not ask for help.

So with my back struggles come more awareness and learning. I am viewing this chronic pain and back issues from the point of view of opportunity rather than loss.

I am not sure what that looks like- but I felt like I needed a shift in attitude and perspective to something more positive.

So that is why now, and why here on this forum.

Thanks for the welcome- and I look forward to participating fully.

Warmly,

Wendy
  • Wendy , the hardest part about my condition has been accepting that "its never going away".
    Its a very bitter pill to swallow.
    Second to that has been asking for help. Ive always been militantly self confident and never asked for help , I knew I could "get er done" on my own.
    The pain I deal with is there ,its always gonna be there in some form.....my character and force of will , will be the deciding factor on who wins.
    Besides....i'm starting to dig the pain......Not :o)

Jimbo
  • I want you all to know that I really appreciate this forum. I have looked at others and the this rocks =D>.I don't write often but I do read almost daily. It is hard to keep up with our spouse,family and friends and not because we don't want to but the pain #o and discomforts we get is out of our hands. My doctor has me on Savella now and start to wean me of the others. I'm sure my body is addicted to Percocet and will be a tuffy to get off of after five years. I have tried randomly not take it and I pay dearly for it the next day. Some days my mind is so numb I go to scratch my face and I was going to say something and forgot what it was 8} . I am so tired of constipation :W and tired of being told to eat morn fiber which makes it worse. I drink more water and working retail it is difficult to go.
    At the end of the day I can hardly walk, doesn't matter if it's from standing at work all day, going to the movies, or resting all day. I HURT!!!
    Thanks for listening (|:
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.