Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

How long to wait

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi there.. I'm a 53 yr old guy, very active, wondering what to do. I have waited now 1 year since I first experienced any symptoms due to cervical stenosis, and the symptoms have slowly gotten a little worse. But my symptoms are mild; on the other hand the MRIs look like those darn discs are about to sever my spine.

I feel awkward since i really have no pain at this point like so many others. My concern is how long should I postpone having surgery done. Should I do it nos, while healthy, and hope it helps; or put if off till I really need it to alleviate some pain..if that starts to happen. Is the risk (of hitting tree, or being in car crash) worth considering to have it done.?

best wishes to y'all




  • :))) only you and your doc can decide when the time is right, im glad you have no pain. a lot of us on here have daily pain, which i think makes us decide to look at all our options, best wishes
  • youre lucky to have very little pain. count your blessings and maybe youll never need surgery. i'd say risks are too great that something could go wrong. wait for the absolute necessity of surgery and then get several opinions...
    hope you never need the knife...
  • advertisement
  • That a question that you should be discussing with your surgeon. A concern of instability and possible catastrophic injury might be the deciding factor. Pain is not the main concern in every surgical decision. Permanent nerve damage and risk of life or paralysis should be heavily weighed. Only your doc can advise you as to your risk by delaying surgery.

Sign In or Register to comment.