Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Persistent effects after ceasing Flexeril meds

advertisement

Comments

• Thank you very much for the update. I am glad there was not anything major that showed up in your tests. And equally glad the doc says you'll "get better".
  • Hi all,

I read this post with interest because I can't figure out what is wrong with my brain. I've been unable to think as clearly or to accomplish as much as I used to.

Since I've had surgeries and several meds over the years, I cannot pin-point one culprit. BUT, I take Flexiril nightly for easy sleep. I wake up with a "hang over" but have attributed this to all of my meds not one. Am I wrong? I also take 5mg of Oxycodone 4 times per day, 20 mg of Oxycodone 4 times per day, and Neurontin, 400mg per day.

Your thoughts? Thanks JR for starting this thread and I hope any answers will be of help to all.
    Dee
  • advertisement
  • Hi all,

I read this post with interest because I can't figure out what is wrong with my brain. I've been unable to think as clearly or to accomplish as much as I used to.

Since I've had surgeries and several meds over the years, I cannot pin-point one culprit. BUT, I take Flexiril nightly for easy sleep. I wake up with a "hang over" but have attributed this to all of my meds not one. Am I wrong? I also take 5mg of Oxycodone 4 times per day, 20 mg of Oxycodone 4 times per day, and Neurontin, 400mg per day.

Your thoughts? Thanks JR for starting this thread and I hope any answers will be of help to all.
    Dee
  • Hi all,

Dee
  • Hi all,

Dee
  • advertisement
  • Reading these posts with great interest as I rarely take Flexeril, but took 1/2 tab two nights ago and 1/4 tab last night....It always makes me feel awful...spacey...sleepy, lethargic and just generally s l o w. I had to try it again to see if it would ameliorate my neck symptoms...I am NOT taking it again tonight..

I've had some dizziness too..which could be just my neck ...or might be this drug..Anyone had dizziness and similar symptoms with this drug?

Thanks
  • a terrible time where I felt "hung over". I also went through a period of time where I had to stop all meds because I literally was awake 6-7 hours out of the day. I did attribute this to the Flexeril as I had been told it can make you feel that way. I am now a daily pill taker, taking 2 10 mg Flexerils daily. One in the morning, and one at night. I have built up a tolerance. I still do get sleepy, but nothing like I was before.

Hope this helps.

Caity
  • Hi, all. Updated info:

I've now had persistent symptoms longer than 50 days post-incident. I've been diagnosed with 'post-concussive syndrome', had a CAT scan to check for 'bleeders', had a contrast-enhanced MRA coupled with an MRI to check for any possible arterial damage that could have caused minor stroke (more on that in a moment), had an EEG for any abnormal brain activity and only this week showing any real improvement. The neurologist contradicted my GP, stating that he believed it was possible that I was, in fact, possibly suffering effects of some complication to the Flexeril, but proceeded with the tests to ensure there wasn't something else causing the persistent effects that were mimicking 'concussion' (except that I had no headaches).
    My research has suggested that there is, indeed, a verifiable link between minor whiplash injury and TBI, and that the medical community has ZERO understanding as to the mechanics of said effect.

Side-note: MRI/MRA contrast agents containing Gadolinium (there are 5 brands) are known to have caused untreatable & debilitating disease in so many patients that the FDA has issued a boxed-warning (which I did not receive from my clinic). Please be aware of the risks involved. I can't tell you the stress I went through in the days before the test, wondering if they were going to submit me to the contrast agent and whether I would deny it. The disease can take as long as 18 months to manifest symptoms, which I won't go into here (searchable on the web) and I'll have to deal with that uncertainty for some time to come.

Refresher with updates:
    Minor rear-ender accident on 07/10. Minor acceleration/deceleration caused my head to move forward/backward estimated no more than 2 inches. Immediate sensation of 'warming pad' on the back of the neck (within 5 minutes), coincided with a sense of nausea during the ensuing hour or more. I did NOT hit my head, nor were airbags deployed. There was almost zero damage to our vehicle (a screw head imprint from their license plate frame ONLY). Applied heat/cold that night & through the weekend (and continued for weeks after, still to this day to treat persistent 'kink').

2 days passed (the weekend) with no adverse effects that I could tell, awaking Monday a.m. following the Friday afternoon incident with 'severe neck stiffness', consequently making a doc appt. Was prescribed physical therapy & Flexeril. Took one pill that night, plus one the next evening.
    I can honestly state that I was unaware of any pre-Flexeril TBI effects either during the weekend or that Monday before my appt., but that wouldn't have been unusual, as my weekends are basically 'tasking' (which I haven't had any trouble with) and Monday was overwhelmingly distracted with my neck aching.

Post-incident effects were immediately noticeable Tuesday, whereupon I consequently went home early (typical severe 'hangover' associated with the drug). Wednesday was only mildly better, but I immediately noticed I could not function and there began my discovery of the many symptoms that led to my consequent diagnosis of 'post-concussive syndrome' by the doc. I ceased the Flexeril after the 2nd day (only TWO pills over 2 days). I never took ANY other prescription or OTC pain medication for my neck in the ensuing weeks).

Footnote: Almost a month after the incident a discussion with the driver of the vehicle I was in (I was passenger) stated my head was turned toward him when we were hit. I did not recall this and it was this information that prompted the neurologist to postulate of possible arterial damage and possible stroke, given the symptoms & conditions (again, all negative).

Complete list of symptoms in order 'discovered/noticed' (please note: almost 90% of those symptoms listed were unaware to me until I ventured to undertake an activity I 'knew' I could do prior, or when some normal function later returned, then realizing it was 'missing'):

-Difficulty typing. (was previously able to type ~50wpm regularly with few errors...post-incident at half that, if even)
    -Creativity issues. (could not draft documentation for work, write creatively, design anything of substance)
    -Short-term memory issues. (had to have nurses repeat doctor's appts. 3 or more times until I actually got it into my phone's calendar, in addition to forgetting simple things)
    -Planning issues. (was previously able to think a week or more ahead in regards to home projects or work projects and plan logistics for completing those projects...unable to even 'think' about the weekend for any task planning without actually making a physical list of activities)
    -Abstraction issues with verbal speech & written text. (had difficulty forming coherent conversation in cases where I was trying to be descriptive or recall specifics, along with notable increase in difficulty in finding suitable words, both written & verbal. Thesaurus became my best friend, 2nd only to my phone's calendar).
    -Problem-solving issues. (I am mechanically-proficient and an expert at diagnostics of any device of which I understand its operation and never experienced a difficulty in this area. However, in terms of problem-solving issues in the business not related to 'machines', had great difficulty...almost impossible)
    -Attentiveness compromised. (severely reduced attentiveness, almost to the point of being compromising. If I were not a manager, as a manager I viewed myself as 'unable to work' in my duties and would have sent myself home).
    -Blanking episodes during deep thought. (the most disturbing aspect, noticed the first time while driving about 3 weeks after the incident. NOT falling asleep, but something else and only momentary, and only when trying to think deeply. Later described by my neurologist as 'returning to awareness' and the reason for the EEG. This effect occurred 3 times, the last only a week ago at the grocery checkout when asked for my 'rewards' number, which I tried but could not recall).
    -Absent musical recall. (this was the last noticed symptom, only recognized about 10 days ago when I was walking through the house and suddenly realized I had a 'tune' running in my head that I neither could identify nor recall hearing. I later described the effect as a 'badly tuned and shifting tune-point of a radio'. It would come and go, with complete inability to remember music, let alone 'play' a song in my head. Since I don't listen to music daily either at home, work or in the car, it was only recognized as being a symptom when the ability returned. Effective this past weekend, I believe significant improvement is in process, as several times I've had songs/jingles/tunes 'stuck in my head' and some recollection of music is returning)

While improving, the overall is inconsistent and unrelated to either work, sleep, diet, fatigue, stress or rest (I've tried everything). One day will feel somewhat normal (the first seemingly 'completely normal' day in over 60 just this Monday) and then cycle back to patterns of 'fog', as evidenced today.

Today is my final day of physical therapy and Friday I have blood drawn for the blood work ordered by the neurologist as a final stab at a possible cause for my lingering & persistent symptoms.

Having filed my PIP papers with the auto insurance, received yesterday the denial of claim for lost work, as I didn't 'meet the criteria' (mostly due to my position as manager and refusal to sit at home doing nothing since time off didn't seem to help a bit and the doctor prescribed 'normal activity'. My position as salaried manager permitted me to be at work and 'work', though my abilities were perhaps 30% of that of a 'manager').

I no longer believe this to be the effect of Flexeril, even though I finally found data on the clinical trial of the drug that stated <1% of trial subjects experienced anything related to 'mental acuity issues'.<br />
    Again, the information I have at this time indicates I am one of those suffering a TBI effect from minor whiplash (though medically defined only as 'PCS', or 'post-concussion syndrome. My injuries or symptoms do not necessarily suggest I am suffering what can be medically diagnosed as mTBI or TBI and neither have I received any sort of diagnosis as yet other than PCS). While my neck stiffness has mostly subsided, the right side of my neck continues to have recurring 'kinks' (as I have this morning). The PT I've been subjected to is called the 'Bowen Technique' and, I have to admit, I don't think I am being very well-served by it. People have recommended it to me for 'pain-management', but I suffer little-to-no pain. I suspect I may have to seek alternative treatment for my neck, but I am reluctant to seek any chiropractic care given that, at this time, I believe my symptoms of TBI to be caused by some trauma related to the whiplash. Absent a referral for some other PT, I will have to 'deal' with the neck pain without regard to any possible treatment that may be realized by 'neck/spine manipulation' (which I have never experienced). Basically, I find myself 'adapting' to my newfound handicaps and periodically experiencing what I can only define as mild depression as a result of frustration from continuation of the symptoms.

The aforementioned effects described as symptoms of 'post-concussive syndrome', however, do seem to be abating (though with no real conclusion of all my tests I have only my doctor's comments to rely on...which were, "Give it time" and his order to 'not incur activity that either elevates heart rate or blood pressure...which, I presume based on our discussions, only included 'exercise/recreational activity' not related to the bedroom :?? )

Just before I hit 'post', I went and grabbed a couple of links to help anyone with similar problems:

http://journals.lww.com/headtraumarehab/Abstract/2006/01000/Executive_Memory_Dysfunctions_Following_Mild.7.aspx

(this full article is by subscription only. I'll likely get a subscription just to arm myself with better information than I'm getting from my doctors)

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-108387.html

better version of this forum here
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108387&highlight=post-concussion

(at either link, browse or scroll down to the 'JeffreyJim' 02-27-2008, 12:55 PM posting, as well as the 'elimenez' post at 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM for good info in both postings.

and see this document (pulled from another posting at the above page)

http://www.ubortho.buffalo.edu/concussion/management of concussion and post concussion syndrome.pdf

I guess I figured out what JeffreyJim stated in his post from last year: Keep your sight set on the objective, not the obstacle. While I REALLY don't want the doctor to find anything wrong, I DO want to understand what's happening to me and the best way to get better. The doctors here in my town have not been of very much help other than eliminating physical damage.

I'll likely be seeking help elsewhere. Thanks to all!

JR
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.