Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

My Bad MRI

MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
This was my first MRI a little over three years ago the set my world spinning. This MRI led to the two level acdf THAT FAILED ... leading to my 3 level Anterior and posterior a little over a year ago. I alot of people post their MRI's with questions or for comparison. I am amazed at how detailed some are .... and how some are not so much - Check this doozy out !!

D

Date of Exam 06-27-2006

Exam: MRI CERVIAL SPINE W/O

Clinical:
This is a 44-year old male with neck pain for 20 years.

MRI CERVICAL SPINE

FINDINGS:
Normal brainstem cervical cord junction. Normal Cisterna Magna with no tonsilar ectopia Normal clivus with a normal craniovertebral junction. Normal anterior atlantoaxial articulation.

Normal alignment of the cervical vertebral bodies with no ligamentous instability, marrow edema or compression abnormalities.

C2-3: Normal intervetebral discs with no spondylosis or uncovertebral joint arthrosis. Normal central canal and intervetebral neural foramina at the corresponding levels, with no cord or radicular impingement.

C3-4: There is disc desiccation without of loss of disc height. There is endplate spondylosis and a central disk/osteophyte complex that measures 2 X 3mm (AP X transverse) but this does not contact or deform the cord, Normal central canal and intervertebral neural foramina.

C4-5 There is disc desiccation with minimal loss of disk height and mild endplate spondylosis. There is a 2 mm posterior osteophytic ridge without focal protrusion. There is moderate left uncinate arthrosis, with mild narrowing of the foramen without compression of the exiting nerve root. The central canal remains patient. There is mild intervertebral neural foraminal narrowing

C5-6 There is disc desiccation with near complete loss of the disc and advanced end plate spondylosis. There is a 2 mm posterior osteophytic ridge and there is a left pre-foraminal disc/osteophyte complex that measures 3 X 5 (AP X Transverse) extending into the left neural foramen with narrowing of the foramen and likely impingement of the exiting left C6 nerve root. The central canal remains patient. Patient right intervertebral neural foramen.

C6-7 There is disc desiccation with loss of disc space height and end plate spondylosis.
There is a 2 mm posterior osteophytic ridge and there is bilateral facet and uncinate arthrosis with narrowing of both intervertebral neural foramina, impinging on the exciting bilateral C7 nerve roots. The central canal remains patent.

C7-T1: Normal intervertebral discs with no spondylosis or uncovertebral joint arthrosis. Normal central canal and intervertebral neural foramina at the corresponding levels, with no cord or radicular impingement.

Per Cat scan last week ... I now have Facet Arthopathy at C7-T1 ... Can't wait to get the full report! Oh Boy!
advertisement

Comments

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    I thought mine was bad but you win!!!! Although not one I would want to win. Being in my 4th week of post-op(cervical,similar to your surgery)How do you feel? Were you able to keep working? I feel like my life is on hold not knowing what to expect next. This was my 4th surgery all because of failed fusion. How long did it take for your fusion to be at 100%?Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but your situation has similarities to my situation.
    thanks Susan
  • That's interesting.
    My first neck MRI was done a little 0ver 3years ago was not so good then. All surgeons kept pushing me to another because of a poss m.s. diagnosis. to many issues they would say.. when I finally got a neurologist to put on paper NO M.S.... and had another MRI. my neck had gotten alot worse they should of helped me years ago..
    With M.S. off last set of records I found a surgeon to help. But he would only fix the one area that was impinging on cord C6-7..
    About 3 months after surgery,Neurologist and test confirm m.s.
    M.S. is only part of my issues and my Neck is the other part...But now my mid back and lower back hurts so bad at times.
    I have to stay strong in my mind and my faith..
    We all need too (just my opinion)

On July 23rd my daughter had a beauty of baby girl.
    That makes 3 grand babies.I have to do my best to keep my body parts a working-my family needs me. I have said many times my grand kids are my batteries in life... (sorry. just me getting off subject)
    Back to MRI, I have had so many of every part of my body and it is amazing on how one can read so different then next(only a month apart).
    You take care Metelneck,
    hugs to all Patsy
  • advertisement
  • these writeups can drive you up a wall....
    i would think that after the fusion is done the bad areas get locked in so they dont move. but scan still shows them as bad...how do you feel now?
    pete
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    After crabbing ... complaining and goinf to 3 different hospital .... I finally got my MRI results ... With all th ca ca in this report I'm surprisedd that I m not having more problems .... I did have a about a week of heck right after my MVA ... Thoughts? Should I agressively followup?
    Neuro. Pt. injections, etc??

HISTORY: Back pain.

COMPARISON: None.

TECHNIQUE: Noncontrast lumbar spine MRI.

FINDINGS: Congenitally short pedicles with a baseline slender canal
    size. Desiccated disc signal at L2-L5 with mild loss of disc height.
    Minimal retrolisthesis at L2-L4. Endplate abnormal marrow signal
    changes at L2-L3 and L3-L4 anteriorly, hyperintense T2/hypointense T1
    weighted signal. Visualized lower thoracic cord and conus are
    unremarkable.

T12-L1, L1-L2 and L5-S1 discs are normal.

L2-L3: Generalized disc bulge eccentric towards the left. No central or
    neural foraminal stenosis.

L3-L4: Generalized disc bulge . Small to moderate sized focal left
    neural foraminal disc protrusion. Lateral recesses compromise.
    Moderate left and mild right neural foraminal narrowing

L4-L5: Generalized disc bulge. Small focal left lateral recess disc
    extrusion compressing the left descending L5 nerve root sleeve, with
    inferior migration of extruded disc material. Marked left lateral
    recess compromise. Small left neural foraminal disc protrusion. Mild
    left neural foraminal. Moderate central stenosis. Mild facet arthrosis.

IMPRESSION:

1. L4-L5 small left lateral recess disc extrusion with inferior
    migration of extruded disc material. Left lateral recess compromise.
    Moderate central stenosis

2. L3-L4 small to moderate size left neural foraminal disc protrusion.

And am a bit concerned about the "extruded disc material" = Herniation with rupture. :) my life is so fun !! Time is my friend and my ememy.

D
  • If this were *my* MRI, my areas would be the signal changes. The other, the stenosis noted. As to the small to moderate disk bulge, I don't see any where they say any nerves affected, or encroachment to the cord (thecal) or exit foreman? Hopefully it won't be too bad when you get to your doctor. Fingers crossed.

More importantly, what symptoms are you having that are from the back? That as you know along with other tests complete the puzzle. Keeping you in my thoughts my friend! *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
advertisement