Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Loose Pedicle Screw

advertisement

Comments

• Hi everyone. I certainly am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

If I had a caudal injection in January why didn't the doctor see this halo during the procedure.

My pain has been increasing day by day and I can no longer tolerate the pain. I went to see the doctor I was assigned to and he checked the flouroscopy image and said he thought there was a halo around the S1.

Now, I'm scheduled for another injection on the 21 and ont the 15 I see another orthopedic surgeon for his review.

I am so glad to find someone with similar situations.

Don't know what to expect at all. At least physical therapy will commence. My first surgeon didn't think it was necessary or to give me med's HELLO
    11/30/2010- 360 bi level fusion L4 L5, L5 S1
    7/5/12-Revised surgery. Remv of loose hwdware, replace 6 pedicle screws and 5.5 titanium rods. Inferior laminotomy R L5 and facetectomy to deep ligamentum.
    2014 MRI indicates L3-L4 disc bulge,
  • I also had a L2-S1 fusion after a failed L4-L5 fusion surgery the previous year, I have been complaining about increasing pain to my surgeon that continues to worsen at six months from the day from hell.(12 hour surgery with major bleeding abrasions on face,chest,stomach,hips and legs) Fortunately the leg pain is much better but the pain at my left rear waist area that was my initial complaint has spread to the right side and now all the way around thru my abdomen area. The Doc sent me for another CAT/MRI & X-Rays with flexing, I got the written results today, the pedicle screws at S1 have come loose? The results didn't mention if the fusion had taken or not so I'm not sure at this point. Soooo If anyone responds I'll continue, this is my second post I signed up before the last surgery as I found so much info about what I was getting into I thought I may be able to add something once in awhile.
    Severe central stenosis L2,3,4,5 Multilevel degenerative disc disease/osteoarthritis.Surgery #1 Decompression,Fusion L4,L5.#2 Laminectomy with hardware L2-S1#3 Ant. fusion at L5-S1. Current pain meds, Exalgo,Oxycodone,Gabapentin.
  • advertisement
  • I just read the report from the CT scan. I had been complaning about pain in my left leg,back and but aarea. Which is all new considering i have never had pain in the left side. This has all been isolated to the right side and middle of the back. Things has gotten so bad at times that i have been roughly awaken out of deep sleep by a sob of a deep stabbing pain like no other. It was so sharp that i jerked so hard it woke my wife up as well and despite the pain pump. So when my CT results stated "Left S1 Screw demonstrates lucency surrounding it which may represent hardware loosening. This appears more pronounced than on the prior exam. The l5/S1 level fusion ode not appear incorporated." After reading many comments here i was not pleased. I had gone 2 years with very manageable pain. WHen will this ever end?
  • hitman48hhitman48 New Jersey Posts: 1
    Hi my name is Harry.  I hope you can tell me what all this mean .plus I had spinal fusion surgery over a year ago. Here my result .[ Examination Lumbar spine in multiple projections including both flexion and extension demonstrate postsurgical changes L5-S1 with indwelling pedicle screws. The height of the vertebral bodies were normal., there is slight joint space narrowing posteriorly at the L5-S1level.In both flexion and  extension there was no significant abnormalities in alignment. The height of the vertebral bodies were normal there is evidence of prior surgery anterior abdominal wall.There is a radiopaque metallic tube 2.3cm in length overlying the lower pelvis that may be within the soft tissues.Please correlate clinical  I hope you can help in so much pain
  • jeff4007jjeff4007 NewmarketPosts: 1
    I recently had removal of all hardware in my back,then had MRI due more pain and MRI showed multiple
    screws still in my back .....severe Pain is coming from right lower side of back
  • advertisement
  • Is it possible to have a loose screw after 8 years of spinal fusion? I had a check up with my surgeon two years ago and he said that I am already 100% fused. I'm quite confident with my surgeon's work and he is, too. He even gave me permission to do martial arts (I didn't though, lol) However, for the first time since my surgery when I was 12, I can already feel the "presence" of my hardware. Could the hardware still go loose even after full fusion? I'm hella scared. 
  • So today, I had a follow up with my Pain Management Dr to review a CT scan that I had in December 2016.

Some background: I had a 360 spinal fusion in December of 2014 of my L4/L5 and L5/S1. I have been having chronic pain since the surgery steadily growing stronger and stronger. I have had numerous rounds of injections in every place and type that is physically possible. I have also had 2 rhizotomys. Recently my pain has jumped up to a whole new level reminiscent of the pain I had prior to surgery- thus the CT scans. My doctors are out of ideas and lost on what to do.

This CT showed that my L4/L5 level looks great, is healthy and fused, and the hardware all looks good. However, my L5/S1 level does not look so good. My lower level has not fused yet, which is odd because on previous scans no one has mentioned this to me, and my pedicle screws are loose. I immediately started to do some internet research to see what all this means and came across this page. I am happy to find others with similar situations, but disappointed to see that this seems like a regular thing image" alt="image" alt=":neutral:" alt=":neutral:" height="20" />" height="20" />" height="20" />  I am just looking for help, advice, stories... anything to get me to my next step. I am glad that I finally know what is wrong and I'm not still wondering why I hurt all the time. Anyways, my plan is to visit my surgeon and have him take a look and get his opinion... any other thoughts?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.