Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post-Op Spinal Fusion L5-S1

Comments

• Thank you for all your helpful posts, I am 54 years old, had my surgery (L5 S1 Fusion) 3 1/2 weeks ago with 5 small incisions, was up and out of bed 4 hours after surgery and back home the next day. I thought I was going to be feeling much better sooner than I expected, but some days the pain is so bad, I feel like curling into my bed and not moving, but I don’t do so. I had a very bad set back this week. I am a very active person and I was getting frustrated until I read this posts. It has been a long journey and I am glad I found this site. It gives me hope that the pain will go away. I am walking 1 mile every day, and doing my PT exercises, but I think I am doing too much. I realize my surgery was only 3 ½ weeks ago and it is too early compared to what all of you have gone through. I guess I have to slow down and smell the roses! :) Thank you all.
  • I can totally relate and started walking 2-3 miles after 3+ weeks only to realize …
    " What was I thinking? " … so cutting to the chase, don't try to break any records. A mile a day is a great accomplishment after a fusion. You've got time to build. I never went to PT, didn't need it. I'm in excellent shape, 65 years old and have been mistaken for 50. Mother's genes I guess. Even so, it took 6-9 months for me to say, I feel myself again … plus mine being an anterior approach, that cut didn't make life easier!
    Now, I'm back to a normal active life!
  • advertisement
  • I just finished reading your blog. It is fascinating reading and lots of great information. Thanks for doing it.

Too bad about your tattoo. Did you have it before your accident?

I am going to have a 4level fusion in two weeks and I am 70 so I expect my recovery will be a lot different. But your great attitude is inspiring and I too have a positive attitude.

The most discouraging thing for me was the close up pictures of your brace. I was hoping it would have some air vents. Yours looks to be a solid piece of plastic. I will have to wear one for 3 months...all through the summer. Uh la la it is going to be hot and sweaty. I wonder how many inches I can sweat off of my waist ha ha

Susan
  • Thanks Barry, that encourages me to not give up. I get frustrarted but I am glad I joined this place.
    I slowed down a little but I am still walking and doing all the good exercises. :) I know it is going to take time,but I want to say I am 100% myself one day! and I know that day will come.
advertisement