Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post ACDF questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,322
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had mine on wednesday. woke up with sticky bloody hair, and a divet near my temple scabbing. Another one on the other side not so deep. Question is... What kind of contraption did they wedge my head into while I was under? My arms are all bruised, and my back is sore and the numbness and tingling in my left arm is still there!!
advertisement

Comments

• It was a cranial fixation device to hold your head in place. your shoulders hurt because they make a small hole and open you up the size of a foot ball to see what they are doing. Your numbness will settle down in a few weeks the nerves are mad because the doctors had to move them away to fix you up. All of this is normal, you sound just like me when I had my fusion.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Whats up?
    hehe you always seem to have the perfect answer - the way you described her reason for post op pain was purrrrrrrfecto! Right on the money!
    hugs to you Julie & have a GREAT day
  • advertisement
  • When you're having the fusion, they pull your head with about 20lbs. of pressure to open the vertabre in your neck, put the disc stuff in, then release. Yuck.

Cath
  • yeah its going to hurt like heck for afew weeks, Think about that little incision on your neck, what 1-1.5 inches accross. and they stretched it out, shouved you esophagus and everything else over to look at the anterior side of your spine.

Thats why they say a 3-6 month recovery.
  • 3-6 months is the answer to how long to recover. Good answer mc... but my doc said a few weeks. LIAR!
    Love Ya'll in the forum - couldn't have made it without you guys!
    >:D< HUGS & :* KISSES
  • advertisement
  • All I had to do was read my operative report to understand why my shoulders hurt and burned so much..the way they position your head and neck to access the vertibrae is mind blowing..even as a nurse I find it weird.
    Mine is getting better
    now but need to be off muscle relaxants per PM doc..easier said than done.
    But have weaned other pain meds ( Kadian) to once a day with needing hydrocodone at night only.
    PT is helping, just started again last week.

Deb
    9/07 MVA whiplash ( I never will underestimate this injury again)
    11/07 C5-6 ACDF with hardware..
    return to work and somewhat normal activities 2/09 but with increasing sx 4/09. failed PT accupuncture and 2 injections
    positive discogram at C6-7
    7/09 C6-7 ACDF with hardware..
  • Hope you are feeling better. Was it harder to face surgery the second time. I just had ACDF in June @ C5 and C6. I was terrified and don't want to ever have it again but we don't always get what we want. /:)
  • Zack said:
    Whats up?
    hehe you always seem to have the perfect answer - the way you described her reason for post op pain was purrrrrrrfecto! Right on the money!
    hugs to you Julie & have a GREAT day
    Hi Julie, thanks! I have had lots of experience and the same fears. Its a rough road but in time some things improve. thanks for the compliment. Have a great day!
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Hi Darlene
    It was harder but with the increased pain and meds I was on had no choice really...some good days..some not so.. was easier somewhat as I knew what to expect..
    How are you doing now?..
advertisement