Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

My story on neck discectomy and fusion ...........

yellowboyyyellowboy Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a discectomy and fusion of C5 thru 7 on June 8, 2009. I was slowly improving until last Wednesday when my pain increased to pre surgery levels, and it's been constant. I can't attribute it to anything I did that day.

I have been getting PT twice a week with ultrasound. the ultrasound seems to work so well I'd like to try and get a home unit, but I hear they are very expensive.

This morning I found this forum and (no offense) got a little depressed. My NSurgeon says don't worry, just a flare up and it's only been 2 + months. I'm on Vicodin and Robaxin but they don't do much since the pain jump. I was very active until this (golf, bike, workout w/weights) and now all I do is treadmill. Am I hoping for too much too early ? I have to go back to work Monday (the 17th) and will do some driving and lifting 30-40 lbs. Am I jumping the gun here ? (Am out of sick leave)

Hope I don't have to sell my new clubs !!
advertisement

Comments

• Has your Dr released you to do that much lifting? I think you need to give yourself more time and listen to your Dr. You are only two months out which is really not long. Be paitient and listen to your Dr for what you can and cant do. Make sure you are cleared for work. You dont want to screw up what you already have gone through. Good Luck.
  • Were you golfing before the flare up or before your surgery? I hope it was before the surgery because 2 months is too early for that stuff according to my doctor.

I was told at 6 weeks I could lift up to 20 lbs but to do all my activities before would take time. I'm a fitness trainer and martial art instructor. I was told that I would have to tame down some of my stuff. I was pretty crazy. I had to have surgery due to my sports so I understood that to be true and am willing to do that.

I was told I couldn't ride my bike until I'm totally fused. My doctor is an alarmist so he threw out 2 years but others have told me he does that and it shouldn't be that long. He's concerned about falling not riding the bike.

My goal is to be able to lift weights, go back to work ( I produce and star in fitness DVD's www.getrealfit.org) and keep in great shape. I would think you could go back to golf if you work with your PT and learn to do it in a safe way for your neck. You don't jerk your neck when you golf. I was told things that jerk my neck like my sparring would have to stop as well as running and high impact moves.

Hopefully you can get light duty at your job. My husband is HR. He said to get a note from your doctor and talk to HR. Depending on your companies policies light duty could be available.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
  • advertisement
  • Did u file for FLMA? I think you doing to much to soon. After my fusion I wasn't able to drive or lift anything for 3 months. so how is it that you think you will be lifting 40 pounds? Can your employer put you on light duty for a few months? I was out of sick time too after my operations. I just went without a check. I recently started therapy and my pain went up. Maybe the added therapy increased your pain level.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I'm trying to get light duty, what is FLMA ? If I can't handle it I will be off again. No I have not golfed since before my surgery and won't until next year (if ever !). I think the PT may have done it so I will reduce the weights when I go back. Allot of pain today.......hopefully not tomorrow. Thanks for the help - I'm raelizing there is no quick fix here.
  • It seems like you are rushing your recovery. It takes a long time. I haven't had neck surgery (thats in the future), however, with my 2 level lumbar fusion it was at least 6 months before I felt "normal". Different surgeries and patients will obviously have different outcomes, but I think those first 3 months (and then some) are crucial to your healing. We all know how hard it is to change our ways, but for your future back and neck health it is neccessary. This site is extremely helpful to deal with the physical and emotional issues that come with chronic pain.
  • advertisement
  • yellowboy said:
    I'm trying to get light duty, what is FLMA ? If I can't handle it I will be off again. No I have not golfed since before my surgery and won't until next year (if ever !). I think the PT may have done it so I will reduce the weights when I go back. Allot of pain today.......hopefully not tomorrow. Thanks for the help - I'm raelizing there is no quick fix here.
    FMLA is family is the "family medical leave act" to protect your job. Then when you go back they must have you do restricted duty work until the doctor releases you. Does your doctor have you on PT that requires lifting weights? I doubt he/she does. A fusion is no joke and lifting anyting over 10 pounds is a big No requirement. It takes a full 3 months to get the hard collar off. Fusing the bones in your neck take time and lifting weights is probably setting you back if not making things worse or ruining the process. Call your doctor and find out.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I was lifting 5 lb weights at PT, but have not been there since the flare up. I am supposed to go today, but I'll call the PT and have her talk to my DR office. Thanks
  • Well, I am now on a "methpak" or something where I take allot of pills the first day, less the second, etc. etc for 12 days. This is for the pain and inflamation. I guess I'm in in for the long haul !!!
  • Like a lot of people have already said, I think you need to listen to your body and remind yourself that it's okay to easy once in a while.

I know that has been my biggest challenge so far is coming to grips that I just had surgery and I NEED to allow myself to take it easy. You can't expect to do thinks full throtleas you once did. Give yourself a fair chance to heal.
  • Thanks for the advice, I meant to say "medrol"
advertisement