Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fusion L5&S1 question

Comments

• I worked as a Certified Nurse Aide prior to this new injury, and like you I dont think they'll ever be able to accomodate me. Which is fine, I am enjoying being a stay at home mom. The only upsetting thing is I was going to school for a degree in nursing, but that looks like it is over. Which I am getting used to that fact. I keep praying about it, and so far its helping me. I do know one thing when it comes time to settle, I am going to "hit them where it hurts" no pun intended. Hope this helps. Good luck. I was told today that I have to have a two level fusion a 360.
  • ...and so I would not want you to take anyone's advice from here and apply it to your case and say 'yes you will be able to lift those kinds of weights again' or 'no you can not'. I think that it all depends on how your surgery goes and how well you do during rehab. And, as Keith said it also hinges on your own attitude'.

I am a strong believer in following a well structured formal rehab program for as long as money and time allows you to. In my case it was a year, more or less, and it paid off. I regularly lift 50 lbs but have never tried to lift 100 lbs (and wont try). However, I wasn't lifting this weight until at least a year after my fusion surgery.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating that everyone should be able to be lifting 50 lbs after a fusion, but under certain favourable conditions following surgery and rehab, a lot of us are able to continue such activities, but doing it with the knowledge that our backs are not perfect and there may be some risk in what we are doing.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• advertisement
This discussion has been closed.