Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back surgery tomorrow

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,322
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi I am 44 and am have the following done tomorrow: L4, L5 Laminectomies, l4-5 Fusion, interbody fusion & allograft. Any advice will be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• and may your recovery be a speedy one! Sending you many many prayers your way! Keep us posted on your progress. This site is AWESOME - and its one for all and all of one!~

S~
  • Hi there,

The best info I can give you is to not rush your recovery and take care of yourself as best as you can. Let others help you. Do you have kids? Will you have help with them if they are young? You won't be able to bend, lift or twist for months, so no matter what, you will need to let others help.
    Once you are up to it walking is one of the best things you can do, just start off slowly and work your way up.
    This site is full of helpful people and information. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Lisa and thank you for your reply. I am sitting here getting very nervous. My situation is very crazy. My husband has been out of work since last Sept. Over the past coupld weeks we are excited in that he got a job but its in Orlando Fl. We live in Va now. Anyway, I am having surgery tomorrow, He leaves to start his new job on Wed. (I will still be in hosp) but he will come home on the weekend to help me. Then we have to be out of the house we live in now by Sept 20...so I have spent the last few days trying to pack as much as I can because I have been in right much pain. My daughter left for college last week but I do have a son who will be able to check on my. I have had right many surgeries (not back related but cancer, and shoulder) but for some reason this one is really getting to me. Almost to the point I want to call it off. The only thing keeping from calling it off is the fact I have right many friends that will be able to help me and I won't have that in Fl.
  • I know it's scary but you'll make it. I remember when I had my back surgery was the day after me and hubby moved in our new house. Thank god for family and especially my kids. I know we only unpacked the essentials we needed for the first couple of months, becuz I wanted to decorate myself. I wouldn't let no one do it for me.
    But when you do get through this and get moved, meet your neighbors and I bet you'll be suprised at the help you will get. My new neighbors were great. They'd see me walking down the street with my walker and my daughter and always offered a helping hand.
    Good luck tomorrow! You will be in my prayers!
    Let us know how it goes when you get up and moving.
    And good luck to your husband and his new job!
  • I know it's scary but you'll make it. I remember when I had my back surgery was the day after me and hubby moved in our new house. Thank god for family and especially my kids. I know we only unpacked the essentials we needed for the first couple of months, becuz I wanted to decorate myself. I wouldn't let no one do it for me.
    But when you do get through this and get moved, meet your neighbors and I bet you'll be suprised at the help you will get. My new neighbors were great. They'd see me walking down the street with my walker and my daughter and always offered a helping hand.
    Good luck tomorrow! You will be in my prayers!
    Let us know how it goes when you get up and moving.
    And good luck to your husband and his new job!
  • advertisement
  • Thanks Hollie I really needed to hear that! And, thanks to everyone for there prayers 2morro. I go at 9 EST for a 11 surgery.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to SH.
    I'm sure that your surgery will go fine. It sounds like you have a lot of friends to depend on after surgery. I'm glad you're having it while still living near them so they can help you. I'm sure your husband hates to have to leave you so soon. I hope you have a lot of help when the time comes for you to make the move.
    Good Luck.
    Debbie (Va resident also)
  • Above all else, everyone and everything aside, take care of yourself. Listen to your body, and your intuition. Actually do recover. My thoughts are prayers be with you.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • The most, absolute most important thing is to take care of your recovery. You son and husband and friends can help with the rest of the packing. They can just toss stuff into boxes, worry about it later. Its amazing how little we really need, material-wise. Don't be shy about asking for help, most people want to help but aren't sure how. Wish you well. This site is great for advise and mental pick-me-ups.
  • rlmansini, good luck with surgery today! I hope this is the end of your pain journey and that it brings you good pain relief!!

Just remember to take it easy, it seems that a lot of folks over do things too early and don't even realize it until it's too late! Oh yeah, and follow the doc's orders!

We are all looking forward to reading of your success!
    Jay
advertisement