Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

fluid build up after Lower back surgery

Comments

• Hi
    My surgery was on Aug. 13 th as well
    And approx. 6 days post op I too had 100 cc aspirated
    I did have a dura tear, but this was not spinal fluid
    Just fluid built up around the incision site and the drain was removed too soon!

Now 18 weeks post-op, third MRI post-op revealed a facet jojnt synovial cyst, a seroma and lots of fuild and swelling deep in the fascia.
    I am seeing a interventiinal radiologist/pain mgmt physician to discuss the procedure for cyst removal and epidural steriod injection at the same time.
    On Jan 2nd. Happy New Year?????

I hope this procedure will relieve the indentation on my thecal sac and alleviate some of the discomfort.

My foot drop has improved and my numbness comes and goes now
    It's weird if I lift my leg as a straight leg raising or if my PT does that during a stretch, my leg goes numb instantly.

I still walk with a cane outside the house, but am grateful for any improvements great or small.

Pvt. Message me if you want to chat more about the fluid build up

Hugs
    Rose
  • One week after surgery, 100 cc aspirated
    And
    5 months post-op I still have a spinal cyst, seroma, moderate pockets of fluid near thelumbar spinal incision

Seeing a anesthesiologist/painmgmt. Physician tomorrow to discuss cyst and fluid removal and testing for infection

Seems that opst-op swelling and edema is common, but just my opinion

FYI I did have a spinal dura tear and had to lay flat in my hospital bed for 7 days to prevent headache and dizziness
    After my surgery

I dont feel that egg or soft ball size swelling above my incision anymore

Fluid level was classified as very severe and is now classified as moderate fluid

Hope this helps a bit
    Hugs
    Rose

• advertisement
  • Hi
    I am 5 months post-op from 3 lumbar decompressions and STILL have fluid build up
    Was SEVERE, but now MODERATE, seroma, swelling, synovial cyst.

I hope my body absorbs the rest eventually

Hugs
    Rose
  • SubseaSSubsea Posts: 1
    edited 08/05/2015 - 9:00 AM
    i had a laminectamy about three years ago. i just found out that i have a fluid pocket the size of a tennise ball in my lower back.. my back has always heart but i have just lived with the pain. the way it was found was due to an ct scan for another problem. the doctor wants to drain the fluid is this a good idea?

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
  • Did your fluid ever go away on its own. How did the fluid hinder you?
  • advertisement
  • My neurosurgeon ordered a CT scan 7 months post 3 level  lumbar fusion with 2 artificial discs implanted.
    L4-5 were just gone.
    They went in the front and then flipped me over.

I had "drop foot", from the minute I woke up and that continues. He is finally acknowledging this only after I took my shoe off and walked across the room, so he could visibly see my flopping left foot.
    He never actually came over and did any test, prior to me doing this, to see that I have no feeling in any toes on my left foot nor can I bend any of them.

The CT scan showed a synovial cyst, and both artificial discs are now diffused. Foraminal narrowing to the left was also noted.
    I asked him about the cyst thing and he acted like he did not see it on the CD. (He will NOT read anyone's report)
    He was pretty surprised to see me holding a copy of the report, because I picked it up the next day.
    I showed that it was indeed noted on the CT scan...."well you might need an injection". That was over 6 weeks ago.
    I told him that the "extreme tingling up  and down both legs",that I had prior to the surgery had returned.
    Then he asked me if I was allergic to the dye and I said no, He ordered an MRI with and without gad.

I had the MRI August 16, and I see him this Friday, 8/19, to go over it.

According to the MRI written report, the whole entire surgery is a mess. Every disc above the surgery, all the way to T-12, is not only bulging, but they all have DDD and annular tears! 
    There is an area of "fluid collection" L-4-S1 level, left of the midline, that is 1.9 x 1.3 x 4.5cm, which is much larger then when they did the CT scan.
    The radiologist wrote: IMPRESSION, as abscess or infected seroma, is a consideration-
    The contrast is what brought this to the forefront, so I give thanks I am not allergic to that dye.

This same radiologist also called the neurosurgeon while I was still in the building,  I have had more then 10 MRI's in my life and this is the first time, any radiologist called, immediately after the test was done.

It goes on to say...."There are some post fusion changes from L4-S1. This is producing some ferromagnetic artifact."
    Leftover pieces of the disc replacement, were left behind. I had no idea that could even happen, nor have I ever read this about anyone else.

I thought the newly invented artificial discs were going to be the magic bullet to end my back pain and allow me to move on in life. 
    Lucky me,  the 1% of all lumbar fusion surgeries to get an infection.
    How could things end up so much worse off? I am now moving this to the thoracic area of my spine.

I also know this...nobody is going to respond to this, because I have been on this forum for over 7 years, and so far, the only follow up comment I ever got, was from someone else, saying, "nobody responds to me either", and then she said she was leaving and not coming back.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight"~ Corinthians
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    @Rootsprincess I'm speechless...that is alot to deal with.  I'm sorry you feel neglected here.  I'm praying for you, may your appointment tomorrow give you a clear direction of how to bring a solution to your ongoing issues!  Have you considered looking for another referral?
  • Hi Rootprincess, I think you need a second opinion. A fluid collection can be anything, but foot drop is nerve damage. Good luck with the appointment tomorrow, please update us.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

Rootsprinces

Sounds like you have a lot going on, I'm sorry to hear that.

I agree with nanahelen12, you should get a second opinion fro a surgeon who doesn't have to defend his surgery.  I also agree with smartens162, I'm speechless.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• lawrence1llawrence1 Wilton, NHPosts: 8
    edited 10/08/2016 - 1:38 AM
    Is there any rehab excersises to speed fluid pocket to be obsorbed?

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

You can search for articles on this subject or I suggest you create a new discussion

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.