Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hasn't everyone at some point ran out or short on their medication?

advertisement

Comments

• sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 05/30/2013 - 4:28 AM
    dilauro said:
    Sandi's super post touched on something that is worth repeating.
    sandi said:

The patient who works a desk job with chronic neck problems must come to the realization that it may not be the best choice to continue to work in that field.
    I started with IBM in 1974, had the first of my many spinal surgeries in 1978. I continued working in the field of programming and Data Center Management. Many days I was spending 8 to 12 hours by a computer with little breaks in between. Add an hour commute each way, years of doing this took its toll.

Finally around 2001, did my body finally start to reject this type of work. I had to slowly start working from home 1 day a week, up to 3 and finally around 2005 I was working from home full time. That also counted numerous amount of different Short Term Disability periods.

Who knows that if I switched career paths earlier in my IBM career would all the follow on spinal surgeries have been necessary. That answer I will never know, but for those starting out like this, please look deeply into it.
    I just know that early on for me, I found that the things that I did only worsened things for me, and when discussing it with my doctors, they all said the same thing- you need to adapt to new ways of doing these things. Some you may never be able to do again but others you have to learn to adapt how you are doing them.......it's saved me some flare ups, that much I know by looking at what aggravates my problems and then either getting help doing them or not doing them at all..Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say isn't it Ron? LOL
  • i remember now, i threw up a pill and took another one in it's place. i was short one pill
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • I'm very careful since I only get 90 per month and that's really not enough every day. I count them out 5 at a time to put in a small pill vial I carry with me. Late last year I was doing a count and realized I was missing 12, I had 38 and I should have had 50 on-hand. I stashed them at the time in my protein powder bottle (very big) and nobody knew about it, but someone at home may have seen me accessing it. Someone visiting may have gone through my sports supplements and come across them.

It was a tough week to make them last until my next refill, but I did it. I now keep them in a safer place and try to have a cushion of 20 on hand at all times.

LT
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • It response to running out of medications, I NEVER take one earlier than ordered.  But, I am on an extended release med.  It is a slippery slope to take one early.  When you are given 60 pills to last 30 days there is no good reason to take one early, I'd just have to skip a dose later in the month.

My problem is my doc writes my prescription to be refilled only on the day I'm out, so I go get it filled at the pharmacy before I take my morning dose.  This seems unkind and unnecessary as I am allowed by law (and my insurance company) to refill it up to two days early.  It is especially a problem on Sundays as now a days, many pharmacies are closed on Sundays in my area.  Further, when traveling, it is extraordinarily difficult.  I was in Hawaii and could not get my medications refilled. So I spend  my special anniversary trip in Hawaii in severe pain and withdrawals because the doc would not let me pick up my prescription a day early.

PS -  I have been on narcotic meds for 16 years and the only problems I've had are errors from my physician(not completing the scrip properly) and their offices being closed for weird, unusual "holidays" before actual holidays.
advertisement