Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Unbearable Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
I have suffered for 20 years with back pain and fibromyalgia. I have sciatic nerve pain and facet joint pain.

I see a pain management doctor and have had every injection and epidural known to this doctor. I have had no relief. He does not believe in pain medicine, so I have been left to suffer.

I have had to quit working, I can't go out socially, I am almost totally bedridden.

Last Saturday I began thinking about suicide for the pain has become unbearable and I see no help in sight.

How does one find a doctor who realizes that some people need to live on medication to have a life?


  • hi.....i too have the facet problems. most of the people here are in pain so you are among friends. there are many articles and videos here for you. just click on faq above. but the people here are your best support. i've made tons of friends here and you will too. i have looked up a post that may start you off. just click on it and i will be looking forward to sharing info with you....pete

  • I'm so sorry about your pain. Nobody should be suffering like this. Why don't you go see your family doctor and ask him to prescribe you pain medicines since your PM doctor only does injections. Many people do this and they notify their PM that their family doctor is handling their scripts. I would stay away from PM doctors who solely do injections.

    It is much better to find a practice where they do everything, a multidisciplinary pain clinic. You can also look for another pain clinic like this if one is available in your area so you wouldn't have to go to your family doctor for pain meds. Pain specialists are better qualified to handle chronic pain patients and they can diagnose whatever condition is going on.

    Well, the sooner you start looking the better off you'll be. I hate to hear when someone is suffering needlessly and I hope you find a kind and compassionate doctor. Take care
  • advertisement
  • I agree you need another PM Dr. I got a 2nd opinion a few months after the first PM. He did facet joint injections and added a med cymbalta that helps a little. I don't leave the house either and quit working but I'm going to see a 3rd opinion Neurosurgeon to see if he can help with surgery or rhizotomy(nerve burn) You can't give up there's some Dr. who will help you. I need strong meds also and had to frequently go to my Primary Dr. to get somewhat bearable relief from her increasing the doses. You need to be constantly going to your Dr. I even had to ask for my MRI after a few months of "back strain" they called it. I swear by my Infrared platinum heating pad for my back and legs. The heat penetrates 2-1/2 inches into your body as opposed to a heating pad which just goes in half inch of your muscle. Try that it's always on me when I sit and find relief. Please don't give up. I wish you find new strength to go on. Take care and sending you healing thoughts. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Moodyclown, sounds like you are at a really low point,
    Know that we have all been there and many are suffering along with you.
    I know you have probably tried everything, but there are things you can do
    to give you some lift- meditation, breathing, laughing with a friend.. etc.

    take care of yourself,
  • you are joking [please tell me !!! get shut and find someone else he would be downing pain medication if it was him ..god it makes me so 8l00d7 mad when i hear stories like this ...this is 2009 not 1809 pain relief is indicated with intractable pain ..where do you live .if you are in the uk go to your gp and get some strong pain killers if you are from the usa i am not sure what you do but no pain killers ...!!! i would not last a day without mine ..my heart goes out to you my friend if you ever want to talk please contact me and if you are in the uk contact me i can help
  • advertisement
  • Moodyclown, I totally empathize with you. Doctors can really be jerks. I think you definitely need a new pain management specialist, and perhaps should see a neuro as well. I don't know what tests you've had done...but if you haven't had at least an MRI, you really should have. There has to be something that can be done to help you. I am so sorry. I am answering you from bed, myself, hoping to find my own answer.
  • Sorry to hear about your pain, but totally understand what you're going through. I've now had cervical and lumbar fusion surgery and had unbearable pain, prior to each surgery. Had pain after the surgeries, too, but it seems to be getting better.

    I refused to take pain meds for many years, but was forced to take them after my first surgery (cervical fusion). Had the lumbar fusion earlier this year and I'm still taking pain meds every day because back surgery has a very difficult recovery and I want to have a better quality of life. I, too, am often bedridden when I don't have pain meds.

    I went to a pain doc only once, and never went back again. The doctor prescribing my meds is the orthopedic surgeon who did my back surgery. Perhaps you should see an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon, both of whom sometimes provide pain management and might be more likely to prescribe drugs. And at this point, it sounds like you should also discuss surgery with these docs because it sounds like you've exhausted the non-surgical options.

    When you have chronic pain, there's often no choice but to take prescription pain meds. I use a combination of hydrocodone and the muscle relaxant, Soma. Unless I combine them, they don't work. Because I have a lot of pain, I do not feel any grogginess or euphoria from these drugs, just relief of pain. If you opt to not take narcotics, you might try Cymbalta (an antidepressant), Lyrica, or one of the other alternatives to narcotics.

    I have to "fight" to get my pain meds, but it's worth the fight because I can do nearly normal activities by taking them.
Sign In or Register to comment.