Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I struggle with low self-esteem because of using narcotics!! Do you?

Comments

• Do you watch House? He's my role model (just kidding). He sure manages to keep his self esteem (and arrogance) in tact while popping his Vicodin. (BTW, why isn't he on long-acting meds? HMMPH. Susan
  • Because then he'd probably be more mellow and less grouchy - they need to keep him obnoxious and irascible to keep the show interesting! ;-)
  • advertisement
  • And he could be my dr anyday, LOL
    Yeah, I don't get why he's on it either, he's still all those thing, huggy without meds. LOL
  • I absolutely do not have any self esteem issues with having to take narcotics, or even from being in chronic pain. The meds are a tool to help subside the pain when it gets to be too much. As for being a chronic pain patient, it is what it is. There's nothing that's going to change it. You just have to make the changes and adjustments in your life to be able to carry on. And if taking narcotics is one of those things, then so be it (as long as you take them as prescribed, of course).
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • You shouldn't feel bad about having to take pain meds...you have a legitimate condition which is very painful, and it has to be managed so that you can have some function- just like diabetics, asthmatics, people with lupus or other autoimmune disorders, etc. I try not to let the stigma bother me and I won't let anyone disrespect me because I'm taking narcotics for chronic pain. If it happens, put your foot down, and take your business elsewhere. You deserve dignified and courteous treatment just like any other patient, and friends and family should be loving and supportive towards you. I guess you can say I have a no nonsense approach to anyone who decides to be ignorant or put me down for using these meds. Stand your ground and hold your head up high. And please don't suffer because you're worried about someone else' reaction who DOES NOT have terrible pain like you do. It is okay and it is your right to take something to help you make it through the day. Take care >:D<
  • advertisement
  • I am fortunate in that for the most part, medications like Ultram have helped me. Nevertheless, when things have been bad (before and after my first surgery) I took several brands (not together) of medication to deal with pain. My take on this is (as my subject line indicates) the easiest part of all of this; I simply don't care what people think about my taking (or not taking) pain medication.

I am answerable to my physician, and to those friends and family members who I rely on, and who in turn, rely on me. That simplifies things for me because I am not accountable to the arrogant pharmacy technician who likes to cock an eyebrow when a refill of (insert narcotic pain medication here) is ready to be dispensed. If they want to judge, great. If they think I'm waywardly flushing my life away, OK. If everyone in the world woke up tomorrow and cared about what I take and at what interval I take it, one could not pay me to care any less than I do today.

I have a number of issues to deal with in life, and I imagine you are very much dealing with issues of your own. Things I worry about include managing my staff of twenty-four, making sure the water/sewer/garbage bill is paid, and making sure those people I care about in life, are cared for.

I have absolutely NO time to worry about social stigmas, armchair QBs who can solve all of their pain issues with Tylenol, or with self-righteous purists who think I'm living simply to find my next "high." What they think, what they feel, the whispers they engage in as I leave their office/pharmacy are of no value to me and don't serve me in the least. To let them occupy space in either my mind or my life, is to waste time and energy on things that simply do not matter.

YOUR pain management protocols are between you, your family, and your doctor. That is where it should end, and for me, that is where it DOES end.

Bottom line--my health, my healing, and my back attached to my body is more important to me than people who think I'm taking the easy way out when I use medications.

Be honest with yourself, with your doctor(s) and with those for whom you care. Let everything else become "white noise," and never forget that you can walk through life with your head up and your eyes fixed forward, with no shame, no guilt, and no remorse at the very moment you decide that what other people think/feel/project is, and will forever be, outside of your ability to control.

Don't ever, EVER allow that which you cannot control to control you; for nothing is a bigger waste of your time, your love, and your life.

Best,
    Drew
  • Nice job, there. Very nicely put. Couldn't have said it better myself...

• ...but society has a stigma against narcotics. Pain killers are so abused that the people who need them take a beating because of those who abuse them.

You don't have to explain or prove yourself to most people you meet. Now when it is your family. You can't just dismiss them. You need to work it out and come to some kind of terms. Everyone else can go fly a kite.

I wouldn't be proud of or want House as your role model ;-) He is the perfect example of abuse of pain killers. He elicits the reasons people look at chronic pain people as drug addicts. That said, I do like the show.

Like House, there are drug addicts in society, and on this forum. They use Chronic Pain as one way to get at prescription drugs. There is no simple way to see the difference or weed them out.
  • I feel guilty and down on myself for the small amount of meds that I take. My problems aren't nearly as bad an other people's here and I constantly wonder how much of my pain is in my head. So, every day I fight with myself and don't take my meds until I am in enough pain that I can't stand it. I am afraid to tell any doc how much this pain is effecting my life, because I don't want 1) to be seen as a drug seeker or 2) to be given more than the moderate amount of drugs that I have now. I am terrified of becoming an addict if I ask for more. But I am still missing some work each month due to pain. I just don't know what to do. I'm a 37 year old husband and father of 2 beautiful daughters and sometimes I cry myself to sleep at night. I feel my life is out of my control and I am totally at a loss for where to go from here.
  • My heart goes out to you cuz I know how you feel. Maybe you need to take the meds regularly and not skip a dose, that way you are not chasing your pain. If you wait until you are in major pain before taking your meds, it's harder to bring the pain down. If you have chronic pain everyday and all day then you should be on some longer acting controlled release med (this is just my opinion my the way).

I would try to skip doses quite a while back cuz I didn't want to take them due to the hard time I get from my husband and parents about taking pain meds but it was harder to control my pain when waiting until the pain was too far out of control.

I hope I am making sense. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, comments or just need someone to chat with.
    Dedalus said:
    I feel guilty and down on myself for the small amount of meds that I take. My problems aren't nearly as bad an other people's here and I constantly wonder how much of my pain is in my head. So, every day I fight with myself and don't take my meds until I am in enough pain that I can't stand it. I am afraid to tell any doc how much this pain is effecting my life, because I don't want 1) to be seen as a drug seeker or 2) to be given more than the moderate amount of drugs that I have now. I am terrified of becoming an addict if I ask for more. But I am still missing some work each month due to pain. I just don't know what to do. I'm a 37 year old husband and father of 2 beautiful daughters and sometimes I cry myself to sleep at night. I feel my life is out of my control and I am totally at a loss for where to go from here.
advertisement