Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Thrown For a Major Loop! :o(

Comments

• I don't agree with your PM Docs method, but I think I understand what he's trying to do. It sounds like he is trying to establish your true baseline. It is possible that the pain meds can be making your pain a little worse than it really is. That doesn't change the fact that it doesn't hurt.

You sound like me about 5 years ago. At that time, I was told to suck it up and live with it. There will come a time when you start to deteriorate quickly, and that's when you will really need to act. Hopefully you can get this issue addressed sooner rather than later.

I definitely recommend that you walk and stretch as much as possible so you can keep the nerves moving. Don't let the scar tissue bind everything up.

Dave
  • I'm like you, where I understand (I guess :) ) what he is trying to do. I'm just not really sure what it is going to prove. I guess I will find out once I'm completely off the meds and my body is done with withdrawl.

Like you said, he said I am going to continue to get worse, and a fusion is inevitable. We don't know how soon, but it's coming.

I try to move as much as I can, but I have to be so careful. My back is the type where such simple things cause back and leg pain. I just got back from the grocery store, and I couldn't wait to lay down. Mind you, my brother went with me, unloaded the cart, put the groceries in the cart, loaded them in the car, and carried them in the house. All I did was walk around the store grabbing items, and pointing at certain items he needed to pick up and put in the cart. Walking for any extended period of time, or sitting, causes my back to "freak out" so to speak.

How did your fusion go? I'm assuming you're not pain free. Is it the same pain, or different pain? What level is your issue?

Caity
  • advertisement
  • One silver lining - the less pain meds you are on before your fusion - the better the post-op meds work for you, that tolerance thing.

My personal opinion - you need a discogram. Maybe you can only get a true reading on a discogram if you are off meds. I can't see that you would get a correct reading if you have pain meds masking your pain.

My DH was on pain meds for years before his surgery. It did mask his pain. It kept him going even though he was getting permanent nerve damage from not having his discectomy. Because he went so long - the damage is permanent. His foot never came back. If he'd not had a pill-happy PM doc he would have had surgery earlier and would probably not have the permanent damage.

The knife cuts both ways. (permanent damage vs. some increased pain - your choice I guess)
  • So, he can see you have all these problems and you probably need surgery, but he's going to make sure you REALLY SUFFER first? I don't think so! Go see a neuro surgeon or ortho NOW. If you need surgery, you need it. Just because Halloween is this month, doesn't mean you need some goul to torture you before you figure out what needs to be done. I'd ditch this guy ASAP. No need to suffer like that.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • My effected levels were L4 to S1. Both levels are fused now. They also did a lami at L3 for good measures. The surgery was a little over two years ago and I had my hardware removed last year. You can click on my name to review my medical history if you're interested. I also have a link there to my fusion blog outlining my recovery.

Yes, I still have problems. I developed Arachnoiditis since my surgery at the L5 area. Not really sure what triggered this new development, but its probably a result of long time compression of the nerves combined with scar tissue formation after the surgeries.

Maybe this Doctor understands that you have been having difficulties getting one of these surgeons to take you seriously. With a base line, maybe something will get you moving forward. Again, I do not agree with this methodology, but if it gets you to the prize you have to endure this for a little bit.

I do know how you feel about the movement, I was there at one time. Prior to my fusion, I had to get out of bed 3 hours early so I could get ready for work. It took that long to get things loosened up so I could sit on my ass all day. All I can say is that you have to keep trying. Take short walks with breaks after. Don't let your back win. Keep up the good fight.

Dave
  • advertisement
  • I really appreciate it. It's a scary road I'm on, but I'm just taking it one day at a time. I'm just hoping my withdrawl won't be as bad as the doc thinks it will be.

Thanks again!

Caity
advertisement