Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Has anyone experienced this?

DIFerrisDDIFerris Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For the first few years of my back issues, I had mostly leg pain/cramps/numbness on the right leg. I also had throbbing in my right hip and it felt like I was sitting on a rock a lot of the time.

Then, a few months after my first discectomy, the pain changed to shooting pains down the inside of my right leg, numbness in my shin and throbbing in my thigh.

The second discectomy did nothing to relieve my pain.

Now, for a couple months, the throbbing in my right thigh is still there, however the sharp pains (lightning bolt type) are all in my back - specifically right across my lower back. I also now experience throbbing in both hips.

Has anyone else experienced this "traveling" of their pain?

I must say that the shooting pains are more frequent now (even more so than, say, a couple weeks ago). It is getting unbearable to go many places and riding in a car is "okay" for only a very short distance.
advertisement

Comments

• My pain moves around so let me give you a rundown of what ive got. Before I had surgery my pain would sometimes move from my left side to the right. When I hurt my back the pain was primarily on the left side, lower back pain, and sciatica. A couple of weeks before surgery I started having symptoms around my right ankle.

After surgery i noticed that pain in my lower left back was gone, besides the surgery pain, I still had sciatica pain and still do just not as bad. The pain started moving to the right side of my lower back, then would move to my outside hip, butt, and its like you say it feels like im sitting on a lump sometimes. Sometimes my hip hurts so bad it feels like its going to break. I don't have any sciatica pain in my right leg. Now here's the kicker when the pain swaps to the right side nearly all the sciatic pain in my left leg dissapears. I can lay on my left side for a while and most all of my right side pain will switch again to the left side.

Im trying to get an MRI set up so I can at least find out whats going on in there. Im not really sure what I would do when I do find out what my problem is. Possibly its still inflammed or something (doubtfull). I went today to my primary Dr. to have my yearly checkup and was put on Cymbalta. I took the first pill earlier today and it relieved some of my sciatica issues. It did make me dizzy though at first but I took it on an empty stomach.
  • Thanks for the responses. I don't feel like I'm going crazy now (well, at least not for that reason :D).

I did switch doctors. The previous doc was going to do fusion without anymore testing (and only L4/5), and my last MRI was in May. I didn't like that, given that my pain is different now.

My new doctor is going to do another MRI, and also a discogram. He has identified L4/5 and L5/S1 as bad, and will determine if L3/4 is stable. I am scheduled for the 2-level fusion, and I'm hoping that the other disk is not an issue.

The weather getting colder doesn't help anything either.
  • advertisement
  • Im there with you! Last discectomy was in 04. Did well for 5 yrs and did stupid stuff and its back... Pain down left leg to my toes,sitting on a rock as you say!!! Possible Sextant device fusion in my future. see a nuero surg, not a ortho!! Check out the sextant device before you have a open fusion...

L4L5 laminectomy 1988
    microdiscectomy 2004
  • cavinbryant1 said:
    Im there with you! Last discectomy was in 04. Did well for 5 yrs and did stupid stuff and its back... Pain down left leg to my toes,sitting on a rock as you say!!! Possible Sextant device fusion in my future. see a nuero surg, not a ortho!! Check out the sextant device before you have a open fusion...
    My first 2 surgeries were done by a neurosurgeon, and I then went to an orthopedic surgeon with a Fellowship and expertise in spine surgery. I have a lot of confidence in him. I guess that is what counts, that we trust the doctor we have.

I was looking at the sextant device. That sounds interesting. I believe the anterior portion of my surgery is open to a certain degree. The posterior portion will be minimally invasive, which will be nice.

I hope all goes well for you!
  • Sorry to hear that the discectomy did not help with your pain, and it even seems worse. What does your surgeon say? If the dr.'s office does not give you any satisfactory answers, maybe you want to consider talking to another doctor.

Goos luck to you,

Kin
  • advertisement
advertisement