Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain Pump Appontment

advertisement

Comments

• The pump and the SCS are 2 totally different devices.

My Mother did well with the SCS trial and they were actually going to implant one for her. Now, I love my Mom; but she is not very technologically savvy (she has a hard time with her little cell phone) and I was of the opinion that the SCS was just too complicated for her, what with all the turning on/off, adjusting when sitting vs standing, etc.

The pump on the other hand - well, it's just there. No tweaking on her part is necessary. Plus, the medication is flowing all on its own. I just know she will be getting relief from it; I just wish we could hurry and find the correct dosage for her! To me THAT is the worst part - the waiting. But, she and I have been through this so many times; it's like starting the PM from square 1 all over again.

But this is your decision and your decision only. Don't let anyone rush or bully you into making a quick decision about it. Take your time; review your options and hopefully, any one else on this forum who has the pump will chime in with their experiences.

Take care!

• for this gold mine of information and for sharing it with us, esp Patsy and me. I hope the pump continues to help your mom out and that it always runs smoothly Jeaux. O:)

Hey Patsy, sorry your appt was postponed. I hope these 3 weeks fly by for you, but meanwhile you have more time to gather intelligence about pain pumps. Please keep us posted; take care :H
  • advertisement
  • Yes....Thank you Jeaux from both of us.
    Please keep posting, if you do not mind. Your comments are most welcome and very helpfull.
    At my first appointment with my PM I ask about a pain pump. That is what I wanted but he talked me out of it. He told me that they had a lot of problems he and only did pain pump implants on end of life patients. He did NOT say he did not do them. Then after my permanent implant he did an about face and said I should have the pain pump instead!! He should never have did the stimulator implant!! I reminded hem of that conversation we had and he said ..Oh no no all I was saying was I did not do them!! Sheesh....My sister and I both know what he said!!
    I am off to bed.
    G'nite ladies
    Patsy W :H
  • If I was hijacking Patsy's thread. I was just thinking whether I should start a new one, then I saw your messages.

If Patsy wants me to continue posting on her thread, then I will.

Anything to help!
  • No, you are NOT hi-jacking my thread dear. PIEASE do keep posting. Meydey and I both are very interested in all you can tell us and I am sure others are interested too. Your comments are a big help.
    If anyone else has questions, or have a pain pump they are more than welcome to ask away or leave a comment.
    We are here to help anyone and everyone we can.
    I know Meydey is having her appointment for her pain pump soon and naturally I know she is interested too.
    Meydey you are welcome to jump in with any queations you may have for Jeaux. I am sure she will not mind answering them.
    I think it was very wise of you to have the pain pump for your Mother Jeaux. The SCS is just to complicated for the elderly in my opinion. I do hope how soon she can recieve the full benefits from her pump.
    Please keep posting. I always enjoy your comments and enjoy reading anything you have to say.
    Thanks again
  • advertisement
  • It has been a while since I posted here but have not had any news to add. but now do.
    Saw my new PM today, my first visit to hem.
    First he wants this stimulator out, they do not work on me, so he can get a new MRI and can see just what is going on with my spinal fusion. My fusion is at L4&L5 just where my foot and leg pain originates.
    Anyway he wants a new MRI before he comes up with a plan. I go back Dec. 17th.

Hey...he also explained why the stimulator os not working for me!! Very interesting.
    Cheers
  • How about sharing the reason. Inquiring minds want to know.

Dave
  • I'll send you a PM and explain why these stimulators will not work for me. It's very interesting.
    Patsy W
  • It might be helpful information for others to know why your doc feels spinal cord stimulation won't help the type of pain you have.

"C"
  • It does not seem to be the "type" of pain I have because the stimulator is not helping me. I was told I was a perfect canditate for a stimulator because my pain is in my feet and legs.

This is the way my new PM explained it to me.

A stimulator works by scrambling the pain signals to the brain so it no longer recognizes the signals as pain signals. Some brains figure out it is being "tricked" by these scrambled signals and finds a way to work around the scrambled signals so it can continue sending the pain signals.

All I feel is tingling on TOP of my pain. Not a good feeling at all. How I wish it had worked for me...I would not be sitting here in pain now.

We all know a stimulator just does not work for everyone and this is why as it was explained to me.

Cheers
advertisement