Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial


In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

I have to make a medical decision partly based on money

CMCCM Posts: 100
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
The decisions to have my first two neck surgeries (first a laminectomy, then a fusion - both at C5/C6)were based purely on medical considerations because I had insurance and a steady job. Now, I have another collapse disc (C6/C7) and I have to decide whether to live with it or have surgery. I am really tired of the aches and pains in my neck, back and arm. Also tired of taking pain medicine to get through the day. On the other hand, I was not thrilled with the result of the last ACDF. So, I could try to live with the pain and hope that more intensive physical therapy will help (I went to PT, but I haven't done the exercises at home because I am so tired when I get home from work.) Or, I could seek surgery.

The complicating factor is that I will probably be laid off work soon. When that happens I can keep my medical insurance for a while by paying for COBRA, but it is very expensive. I will definitely lose my short-term and long-term disability insurance.

So, the dilemma is whether or not I should go ahead and have the surgery while I still have a job with medical insurance and short-term and long-term disability (in case something terrible happens), or just live with the pain.

What would you do?



  • I understand your situation, as I am in a similar one myself. My husgands insurance took a major increase in the deductable in May. It went up to 5000 per person. I had surgery last December. I also have had another surgery in Sept to take out my hardware. So with that and the pnuemonia I had for two months I have met my deductible. Recently they found a rare tumor in the bone of my eye socket. I have to have MRIs every three months or have it taken out. Because of having to meet the deductible again if I have the MRIs, I have decided to have it out this month. After the last three years of medical bills, I just cant afford another bunch of Dr bills.
    So sometimes we have to look at the econmic side of it. Even though we can take a gamble and wait, financially we have to look at that aspect too.
    Your decision might be one on what the future will hold for you. Are you gonna be stressed by Dr bills. Only you know your situatuion and what you have to face down the road. It isnt a easy decision, is it?
Sign In or Register to comment.