Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

minimally invasive...transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled for this surgery in a few weeks and would like to hear patient outcomes good and bad. I am feeling nervous and need encouragment...
I have had a previous L5-S1 lumbar discectomy 1 year ago, decreasing the pain some till about 9 weeks post op, then began to increase with a lot of nerve pain down leg...This occured due to an injury.
advertisement

Comments

• I, too, am scheduled for a minimally invasive TLIF on 10/27. A very arthritic facet joint will be removed, collapsed disc at L5/S1 cleaned out, spacers placed to restore disc height and of course the fusion at that level. I am no wimp and been through a lot of very painful and unpleasant procedures but this scares the HE-- out of me too. Every time I think about the surgery, I get sick to my stomach -- really. But, I have no choice as I can't do much else but barely hang on through 8 hours at my desk job and then go home and lie down. I have not been had surgery for a very long time and am not looking forward to this but I have a very good doctor(OS). Atleast you know there is another person feeling what you are! I had to go give blood Saturday which wiped me out and will have to go again this coming Saturday to give another unit if I want to give my body a 2-week recouperation period before surgery. I am now wondering about the brace you have to wear after surgery. A friend of mine's sister just had a fusion and she tells me you can't put it on and off by yourself. I don't know what I am going to do about that one. So, anyone who has info on the brace issue is free to chime in! I don't know about you, but between the medical clearance physical, the blood donating, the brace fitting and the pre-surgery paperwork, feel like I've run one whopper of a marathon and I am not even to the actual surgery yet.
  • Everyone is different so you have to take everyone's stories with a grain of salt - or a percocet. Hopefully you will get some more answers to your questions about the minimally invasive procedure specifics. I haven't seen an overabundance of posts about it compared to "normal invasive" type surgeries. On that note, I also sent you a pm. It's okay to be nervous!
  • advertisement
  • There are several types of braces and not all surgeons require one. Do you know what kind you will where? I wore a warm and soft - just some velcro, elastic stretchy material, and a piece of hard plastic in the back - which was not uncomfortable or hard to get in and out of. Sorry you are in so much pain. I hope that your surgery is successful and your recovery swift.
  • I find little to LOL about these days to be honest! I too have spent much time in pain. I've tried all the other nonsurgical and surgical methods and I too am very frightened! I'm with ya, everytime i hear anything or watch a video on how they do this, it sickens me!
    Lets keep eachother posted as to how things are going... Hey, what method are they using to perform your surgery, doc I am seeing uses a sexton II minimally invasive thingy... He is SO confident he can fix this, that in itself gives me both relief and terrifies me at the same time...
    TTYS
  • I find little to LOL about these days to be honest! I too have spent much time in pain. I've tried all the other nonsurgical and surgical methods and I too am very frightened! I'm with ya, everytime i hear anything or watch a video on how they do this, it sickens me!
    Lets keep eachother posted as to how things are going... Hey, what method are they using to perform your surgery, doc I am seeing uses a sexton II minimally invasive thingy... He is SO confident he can fix this, that in itself gives me both relief and terrifies me at the same time...
    TTYS

Oh and Jan, I pm you earlier, hope to hear from you soon.
  • advertisement
  • Jan: I will not know until my brace fitting 5 days before surgery but the fact that you could handle yours on your own gives me hope.

Hakin: I am glad I made you chuckle alittle because nothing about this is funny rather quite serious so if I can add a little levity to the mix, all the better. I believe my OS will be using the X Stop from Medtronics. Feel free to PM
advertisement