Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Help with pain

Comments

• Hi Jsirabella, I have benefitted greatly by the mini cobra position. The most benefit I got was by doing the cobras with the legs crossed and touching the butt and then you try to go prone, that brought my back in full extension and after 4 days of doing that I felt like a new person. If you start new you may not be able to touch the legs to the butt but even if they come half way it will help. Another was to do the cobra but also put 2 pillows under the knees, both these seem to extend my spine a lot more than the regular cobra position and helped immensely. Obviously, I have not invented these but was taught by a reputable PT in NJ.
    As far as swimming, I started very slowly and gradually increased my pace. The point is to try to naturally traction the spine.

Note: I guess because of certain comments in this thread I need to clearly mention that my goal is to provide information that helped ME. Please consult your doctor before trying anything new.
  • Val, also you were concerned about the statement of facts because those are the core of the McKenzie way of thinking and because you have not tried it you are unaware of it and hence you think my statements were alarming. You also indicated "you would love to know where RAj is getting all this information from".....I cant leave this without answering to your comment that I am not collecting information from web engines and posting here, I sweated my ass to work hard to the McKenzie's literally every hour, hour after hour and am writing my opinion based on what those did to me!!

Amen--
  • advertisement
  • Thank you for clarifying your last post by saying, 'Please consult your doctor before trying anything new.'

Much appreciated.
  • whether you happen to have information or not on the "McKenzie Method does not make you that much more reliable than anyone else. :? i am only a little familiar with it but would not reccomend it. just my choice. anyway, we all have out areas of expertise and so all of us are knowledgeable about some subjects others are not.. :D Jenny :)
  • I know I am not a doctor or even what I would call an expert and everyone should speak to a doctor about their issues and what can help.

The one theme though I seem to find from all the doctors though I have spoken to is PT. I was told from all the doctors that the meds are not going to fix you but it will only be PT over the long term and the meds are suppose to allow you to do PT. Steroids will always be more effective if you can do some exercise with it.

So maybe not the McKenzie technique but in the end we have to get that disease off the nerve and the faster we can accomplish that it would seem the more likely you will not have long term damage. I may be simple but the only way I see that happening is through PT or surgery. And I believe even if you have no choice to have surgery that the PT will allow you to recover faster.

These are all my opinions and I use the term PT in a program that allows you to progress in mobility but does not produce pain.

-js
  • advertisement
  • I completely agree with you and the results speak for themselves
  • I dont know why you dont recommend it, I guess it may be good to hear why you think it's bad.

With my experience, the moment i have pain and I do 1 mckenzie even for 10 seconds that pain goes away. that tells me it is working!
  • Well one thing is everyone is diffirent, what may work for another may not work for you. Also age is a factor the ability for your body to recover is less than say someone 20-30yrs old. I had the same pain as you just in the opposite leg. I ended up having a diskectomy,laminectomy, then finally a fusion L4-S1. I had the fusion in april of 2008. I have some pain in my hip still however I exersise alot due to me being in the Army. Staying active is key. I was precribed liodocane patches but never used them. I slept with a body pillow between my legs that only worked for about 15 min at a time. My doctor's name was Wilbur C Sanford. I can say that I have had I would say a 80% reduction in pain and I am very pleased with the result. I didnt get booted from the army and I can still run 5-6 days a week. Good luck on the pain management
  • Well one thing is everyone is diffirent, what may work for another may not work for you. Also age is a factor the ability for your body to recover is less than say someone 20-30yrs old. I had the same pain as you just in the opposite leg. I ended up having a diskectomy,laminectomy, then finally a fusion L4-S1. I had the fusion in april of 2008. I have some pain in my hip still however I exersise alot due to me being in the Army. Staying active is key. I was precribed liodocane patches but never used them. I slept with a body pillow between my legs that only worked for about 15 min at a time. My doctor's name was Wilbur C Sanford. I can say that I have had I would say a 80% reduction in pain and I am very pleased with the result. I didnt get booted from the army and I can still run 5-6 days a week. Good luck on the pain management
advertisement