Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I am geting very worried about my pain

ajamiesonaajamieson Posts: 65
All,

A quick recap - thrown from my horse 2 weeks ago, fractured L2-L5, CAT scan also showed spondo. I am wearing a brace and have several drugs none of which help the pain. The pain is excruciating and it travels down my left leg. I assume this is sciatica based on what I've read but I am getting worried. I can barely put any weight on my left leg and walking any normal distance is almost out of the question. I start PT for my back this coming Friday. If the pain continues like this I am not sure what I will do. I work FT, have a small farm to take care of and have a toddler. It is really problematic to be this debilitated. I know no one likes it and I am not alone but is there any chance something can be done to help the pain quickly, like a cortisone injection or something?

It is extremely painful and very depressing. Is this type of pain to be expected 2 weeks after injury?

Thanks for your feedback.
advertisement

Comments

• I would call the Neuro or Orthosurgeon that saw you and let him know you're having more pain and he may suggest something to help you including meds or injections or further tests. Hasn't he referred you to a Pain Management Dr. yet? I had to return to my Primary Dr. frequently when I was first injured to get more referrals and pain meds. Are you able to be woking right now in so much pain? Take care and keep us posted on how you're doing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi, thanks for the response! No mention at all of a pain management doctor. My primary care doctor just gave Vicodin and suggested PT. I also have Flexeril and Dilauded. None of them seem to do much except make me tired. I am working part time but can't keep this up for much longer because I need the money!
  • advertisement
  • I'm waiting on my pain maagement appt. My family dr has given me 2 regular cortisone injections-about a week apart. They have made a difference-still have some pain, but much better than before. I have herniated L5. Ask your dr & hang in there!
  • I'm waiting on my pain maagement appt. My family dr has given me 2 regular cortisone injections-about a week apart. They have made a difference-still have some pain, but much better than before. I have herniated L5. Ask your dr & hang in there!
  • It sound like you may need to see a ortho or neurosurgeon. Boy that is tough and your getting any relief from your meds??? I would call your PM and let him.her know something needs to be done pretty quickly as you are in so much pain. I will keep you in my prayers.

I had pain 2 days after I had my falling incident that resulted in my fusion. The pain never went away but was elevated by pain medicine.

Good luck and keep us posted!

S~
  • advertisement
  • I ruptured the L4/L5 disk 7 months ago. I'm about 90% better. I too figured 2-3 weeks and I should be good to go. Doesn't work that way. Was in horrible pain the first 3 months. I thought about surgery but opted to do nothing. Lift nothing. No stretching. Only slow walking around my neighborhood to stay off the couch. It's working great for me but everyone is different.
advertisement