Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Bad post op pains

backpain67bbackpain67 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
Just had my L4--L-5 microdensitometer on the 7ht.
I am absolutely miserable!
I am having so much pain in my upper legs ( hamstrings ) I can hardly walk.
The only relief I have if is laying down with a heating pad under my legs (hamstrings) I am also having spasms in the same area when I go to move my legs.
I am taking 10 mg Lortab every 4 hours and 1 5mg Val every 8 hours, now relief there.
I can barely make it to the bathroom or frig before the pain gets to be too much and I am back on the couch.
I sleep in bed at night but anytime I go to roll over or sleep on my side ( which is my natural position) I experience the same pains!

Is this a normal part of recovering? Most of my pre-op problems are gone, butt cheek burning and leg\foot burning.
But in many way this new pain is much much worse.
C3-4-5 fusion 2005
C-5-T-1 disk bulged
L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
advertisement

Comments

• Have you called your surgeon? I'm not sure what type surgery you had. If it was a microdiscectomy, most people are not in the kind of pain you describe.
  • Thanks for your reply. The Surgery was called a micro-diskictomy.

yeah I talked to the PA and he didn't seemed to concerned about it. Seems to think it will be the valium that will do the trick?? 5mmg 3xday doesn't seem like much to me. I was taking 350 mg SOMA 3 x daily which i could at least feel something going on in my body.
    Anyway I guess it will be day by day for while.
    Thanks for listening.
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
  • advertisement
  • backpain67 said:
    Just had my L4--L-5 microdensitometer on the 7ht.
    I am absolutely miserable!
    I am having so much pain in my upper legs ( hamstrings ) I can hardly walk.
    The only relief I have if is laying down with a heating pad under my legs (hamstrings) I am also having spasms in the same area when I go to move my legs.
    I am taking 10 mg Lortab every 4 hours and 1 5mg Val every 8 hours, now relief there.
    I can barely make it to the bathroom or frig before the pain gets to be too much and I am back on the couch.
    I sleep in bed at night but anytime I go to roll over or sleep on my side ( which is my natural position) I experience the same pains!

Is this a normal part of recovering? Most of my pre-op problems are gone, butt cheek burning and leg\foot burning.
    But in many way this new pain is much much worse.
    I had an endoscopic microdiscectomy in Dec 07 and was in much more pain afterward. It was totally different than the preop pain and I was really worried that the surgery was a huge mistake. If you have had nerves compressed for any length of time it will take quite some time before they heal. My leg pain went from the back of my leg to the front. Totally different pain. If you are concerned please contact your doc but I am telling you from experience this is exactly what I experienced post op. It was so bad that I had to have multiple nerve blocks and a rhizotomy within 2 weeks of my surgery. Hang in there and it will get better with time. I have talked to lts of folks that have had a microD and their experience was similar to mine. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • i would contact the surgeon or doctor and get then to up your medication even if its just to get you over this period .i was the same when i had my last operation i even went to the surgeon on Christmas eve as i was in so much pain .i got better treatment from my doctor {as usual} he upped my medication and ordered a scan .try sleeping with a pillow in between your knees and lay on your side {I still do this now ..2 years on!} i hope that t settles down soon and you could use an ice pack rather than heat on your back .i am sorry that you are so much pain ..but i should ease off soon and if your doctor is a good one he or she will sort you out with some stronger medication you could always try a TENS unit i use mine all the time to cope with the pain {unfortunately my last operation was a failure and i am looking at a third!} do you have a recliner? if not maybe you could invest in one ? if money is tight you can find used ones in charity shops for a fraction of the original purchase price {i saw one in my local oxfam shop ..a leather lazeboy in brown looked like new and they only wanted 70 pounds for it new it would have cost about 700 pounds!
    STRAKER
  • This is second week & suppose to be my start walking week.
    I can manages about 20 feet OK then my left leg hamstring area and now top of my left calf feel like they are going into tremendous charlie horse type cramps though when I feel or try to massage those muscle they are not tight at all like they would be if it was an actual muscle cramp. It hurts so freaking bad it takes my breath away and I cannot even speak while it is happening.
    I noticed on my original post that I made a typo " I am taking 10 mg Lortab every 4 hours and 1 5mg Val every 8 hours, now relief there. " I should have ended the sentence with, NO relief there instead of "now".
    When this pain is going on I cannot even think straight. It seems to me the Drs. office is just blowing me off about it,
    and they said that 40 mg Lortab & 3 X 5mg Valium (the Lortab which I've been taking for 5-6 months now) should be more than enough for my problems. When I had my neck surgery I was on Percocet for about 6 weeks and it help a lot more than this. I am afraid to mention the drugs name to the PA or he might think that this is all this is about. In fact I don't even like taking the Percocet because it causes me to have have "brain fog" but I cannot do my walking exercises with all this pain. Took me 2 hours just to wash my dishes cause after standing up for more than a few minutes my leg starts feeling the same way and I have to lay down for awhile.
    The whole thing that p***es me off the most is the Drs. office! I signed a pain management contract with them before the surgery that is also suppose to benefit me with an open mind on "their" part for my post op pain relief needs, but I feel like I am being totally ignored with regards to that. My Internist says there nothing he can really do until I am released from the neurosurgeon.
    Even in recovering ( I spent a night in the clinic) I told them I was still in pain (the same leg pain) and I was on a pain pump with Dilaudid ( I was also given 10mg Lortab by mouth every 4 hours) Yeah, I felt pretty good (dopey) after the pump injection for about 10-15 minutes but the leg pain (cramp like) would start up. The pump was set at 20 min then they lowered it to 15 min. I was on the pump for about 20 hours. When leaving the hospital I told them that my legs were hurting like hell anytime I stood, or tried to to walk or while sitting on a hard chair or the toilet seat. I was told that would go away in a few days. My Operation was on Oct 7th.
    I live over 1 1\2 hours away otherwise I'd go park myself there until they do something.
    The actual back area and incision spot feels OK just a slight back ache that goes away with the pain med. It is this leg pain, left side being the worst that is killing me. I mean 20 mg (double dose) of Lortab does nothing. The only time it's not hurting (much) is when I'm lying down at a 45 degree or more angle. I am lucking to have a laptop and a wireless connection. I can only sit at my desk chair for about 20 or 30 minutes before a similar pain ( not as bad though). Plus the Doc told me not to sit upright for more that 30-45 min at a time anyway. Sorry this has turned into a rant I guess. I do want to Thank everybody for their replies.
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
  • advertisement
  • Thanks Straker but one of the first things my PM Doctor advised me about was a "lazy butt" recliner chair. He felt that it would just cause me more problems. ??
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
  • right next to my bed {in hospital } there was a recliner and how many time do you see adverts for people with back backs being offered recliners ..i think if the doctors had the pain the WE have they would soon be parting with a few hundred pounds /dollars to get themselves comfy .my doctor and pain consultant advised me to get a rise and recline recliner and an electrical adjustable bed to help protect my back ..there's no point undoing the work that the surgeons have done by straining to get in and out of be and on and off a normal chair ..i think that some of these doctors are sadistic pigs and want us to hurt ! i would take no notice and get yourself a recliner many on here could not live without there recliner ,this is written in good humor and not aggressive so please see the good in it!
    STRAKER
  • Pain seems to be moving lower down in my legs. My right foot feels all weird and pain and burning on the bottom of my foot. Lot of numb spots on my foot too. Still having Doctor issues, got the Cilstone shot from my reg doctor. I'll see I guess.
    Thanks all.
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
  • EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member haglandc
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.