Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain Med HUGE Mess Up !

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,322
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
The last few days I have noticed that my break though pain meds where not working like they always have. ( Oxycodein 5 mg ). Last night while shopping I asked hubby to give me 2 of them, and when he did he said "hey you only have a few of these left". So today I called my Drs office and spoke with his nurse and asked if I could come by tomorrow and pick up the script. She needs to check with Dr and will get back to me.
SO later tonight I am thinking wow I went though those pills really quick this time.

Here I have been taking the wrong pills for the past few days!!! :B

I have WEEKS worth of pain pills left.
So I tell hubby all of this and he says "do not call the Dr back as they will think you can not handle your meds correctly and will stop giving them to you".

Looking back now I know what happened. We had a super super busy week with our daughter and grandchildren moving and I was keeping my pills in my purse as we were doing so much running around. The 2 bottles look 100% the same, and I did not have my glasses on and was in a rush and was taking the wrong pills.

BUT I feel really dishonest not telling the Dr I don't need more pain meds right now.

If you do the math of what I am allowed to take I could be out of the pills.

So I am asking for your opinions please.
Do you think if I call and tell the truth it will hurt me getting my pills in the future?

I hate having to even think this way..... :( :/
advertisement

Comments

• I'd have to say it would depend on your doctor. In my area, nearly all of the docs are very anti-narcotics, to the point that I've had to go to the ER for pain control more than once as my docs won't give them out. If your doc is one you know well and can trust, you could probably tell him what happened. If not, I'd skip the call.

Sorry that didn't really help much, it's a tough call. It's terrible to have to think this way, but sometimes you have to just to ensure you won't suffer worse in the future :(
  • Honesty is always the best way to go.

I would call back and tell the doctor that you were mistaken and that you don't need the refill yet. You don't have to tell them you were taking the wrong pills for those days, but you also don't need to be getting/filling a prescription under false pretenses. If you do, it's sure to come back and bite you later on.
  • advertisement
  • that I agree with Kat. Do what you are comfortable with. But it would not be worth jeapordizing your realationship with your doc. It is sad that we have to be so paranoid but with so much going on with docs being afraid to prescribe the pain meds I think that we really must consider what is in our own best interest. I feel sure that a few members will come along with the opinion that honesty is always the best policy but there really is alot to consider. Good luck with your decision and let us know how it turns out.
  • i was on 10mg of Oxycontin 2 times a day at the start but over the years its gone to 400mg in total of oxycontin and oxynorm ,i have talked to my doctor and told him that i needed more pain relief and because i was honest with him and he had evidence that i am in a lot of pain he had no problem giving me the higher dose ..there is no point telling your doctor that you can manage on say 10mg a day when you need 20 mg a day because you will always need to put your repeat in early and that will cause suspicion ..my advice would be to sit down with your doctor and work out sensibly how many pills you need to get you through the month ..one tip work to your worse day ,
    STRAKER
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,304
    what exactly were you taking when you thought it was your breakthrough medication?

I agree with everyone here, honesty is the best way to go. I'd call the doctor and explain exactly what happened.

I am surprised that they wrote a new script for you.
    Doctors keep track of your medication usage and having only a few breakthrough medications would raise a flag.

My pain management doctor is very conservative and keeps track of all my prescription refills. If she believes that something is not right, she would let me know.

Now that I do not take any extended relief pain medication, I use only the breakthrough immediate relief. It used to be Oxycondon 5mg IR, now its
    Opana 5mg.

I have ranged from 4 pills a day up to 10. So right now I am pretty much on target.

Honesty - thats the best way to go

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • I think you mean Oxycodone IR for breakthrough pain. Are you on a 'long-acting' medication as well, like Oxycontin?

For the doctor, if you're due for a refill anyways, it really doesn't matter either which way. You certainly don't have to explain yourself if you call back and tell them that you don't need a refill just quite yet.

It would show the doctor a lot of trust if you called and said you don't need to get your refill yet. Especially in times like this where so many abusers are making it harder for those of us who truly suffer and need narcotic pain meds, I'd take every chance to build further trust with the doc!

Are you from the U.S.? I only ask because I've never heard of Opana and I've pretty much been on every type of pain med out there. I'll have to look it up.

I'm currently on Oxycontin and Oxycodone IR but sadly I think my doc will have me admitted to the hospital because of rapidly deteriorating conditions and pain. I just wish a darn surgeon would step up and do the surgery I need.

• I had a very long response typed out, and I erased it.
    I know in my heart this was a error on my end and that I did NOTHING wrong intencialy. I thought my opening post explained that :<

Thank you to those who understand the error I made and the position I am now in.

• Beth, I think your opening post was very clear that you didn't do anything intentionally!

We all have cranial emissions now and then.. image

In fact, on the topic of cranial emissions and medication.. I was sick a couple of weeks ago and my partner had to take over pet care in the house for me. In the process, one of our dogs accidentally got my antibiotics instead of his antidepressant, for several days. You should have heard the laughter in the background when I had to tell my doctor "my dog ate my antibiotics." 8}
  • he would rather know that you do not need another script at present, or you could talk to your pharmacist who can contact the doctor on your behalf, i know this works very well if the pharmacist and doc are friendly, it happens many times, i am a dispensing tech in a pharmacy ( on long term sick now) no one would think badly of you, they would think you were very honest and you would gain their respect
  • any time i hear an excuse about mis counting or running short, i am like a doctor, i get a red flag. even if one wears glasses, that is not an excuse for taking the wrong meds, i wear them by the way. it is hard for me to believe people who say they are miscounting. most of us have to sign a contract for our narcotics and most contracts state that excuses such as miscounting or losing or whatever are not valid excuses and you can be dropped from the dr's role. i have signed 2 of them and they all state this. it is amazing your dr will write a new script for this oversite because he can also get in trouble with the dea. i know most of us and at least myself have never miscounted or taken the wrong meds at all. even with glasses and lack of sleep or whatever, it has never occured. we are adults and it is our responsibility to keep track of meds
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement