Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Sacroiliac joint or something else?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out a bit?

About 18 months ago I had a bit of a fall while climbing - nothing serious, and it didn't hurt at the time. Then over a period of about a month I started getting pain in my lower back and lost loads of my flexability, to the point where I could only touch my knees )before I could easily touch my toes).

My GP prescribed naproxen, which is a pain killing anti inflamitory drug, which helped with the pain but didn't solve the problem. I took myself off to a private physio, who said something about my sacroiliac joint and facet joints. He did a few manipulations and that seemed to help, but after a while it came back with the same symptoms but worse and a bit of sciatica.

This time I went to NHS physio. He said its something to do with pressure on a disc and inflamation. He gave me some stretches to do (I already do these and they dont help), but who am I to argue. I also told him what my previous physio said. He basically said 'they always say that (SI joints) and its not true.

I read up about SI joint disfunction, and almost everything I read about it discribes my symptoms almost perfectly.

So My question is, is there anything that has the same symptoms as SI joint disfunction (inflamed disc?) and am I right to question the NHS physio?

Mant thanks,



  • welcome to spine health. here is link to some important information regarding the diagnosis of si joint problems. note that an injection of a pain killer into the joint can be a good diagnostic tool.
    i would recommend you see a neuro or orthopedic surgeon who specializes on the spine. not that you need surgery but it's been 18 months since your fall and you need a diagnosis in order to determine proper treatment. i hope you find relief, joan
  • Your facet joints. They are the joints that are responsible for motion in your spine. I have arthritis in my facet joints and have lost almost all flexibility. I can no longer touch my toes (can't even tie my shoes) and am lucky to be able to bend to my knees. Your best bet would be to see a spinal specialist in order to get a correct diagnosis. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.