Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Experiences with SCS Trial Needed

advertisement

Comments

• My trial was really unplesasant. I think it was th scar tissue the doc (PM) kept bumping into as she was trying to thread those leads. I was on the table for over three (maybe almost four) hours and if I had been given any sedation, it wore off long before my prodedure ended. Just as she (the doctor) was getting the right lead FINALLY in place I started crying and telling her to stop, I couldn't take any more. Afterwards, I told the doc that she should go to Guantanamo and torture prisioners. I cried some more and after I settled down, the ANS rep programed my stimulator. It felt so-o-o-o good. I had to tell him about the Woody Allen movie "Bananas" because he was too young to remember it but there is a scene in the movie where everyone is at a party and they are passing around a glass globe called "the Orb". Whoever is holding "the Orb" clearly experiences something truly delightful and so when my stimulator was turned on I felt like I was holding the "Orb". My back was so sore and black and blue that for the first two days it was hard to determine how well the stimulator was actually working. I then went on to have the paddle leads surgically implanted by a neurosurgeon. The point of my story is that, yes, the trial can hurt but the end result can so justify a few hours of pain. Susan
  • and tribulations....

My trial placement was also more "problematic" than the permanent. In my original accident I had endplate fractures of T3, T4, T5. Well, the PM discovered at the trial that when the fractures healed the new bone growth put a dip in my T spine right where he likes to go in for cervical lead, so it took 3 tries to get the lead to go in. I did not suffer extreme pain as others have mentioned, but it did hurt more than I would have liked.

Anyway, my point and a common one in this thread seems to be that once they do or attempt a trial placement, even if the first try fails, when they go back in for a second attempt, they are armed and ready for combat! They have seen the obstacles and have a plan in place to get through or around them.

My permanent lead placement went incredible smooth, info from PM, I don't remember it at all.
    I have far better coverage than the trial to!
    How the heck he managed to get one lead to be able to pretty much stimulate my entire body from my neck down I do not know, but he did it! My only want is my two programs combined into a third so I can get total coverage instead of the either one or the other I have now.
  • advertisement
  • I am so thankful for everyone's comments. It helps me to put my experience into perspective.

Susan, I can't even begin to imagine going through 3-4 hours on the table.

I am so happy for everyone that has had success with the SCS.

I was looking forward to living again.

Oh well, if at first we don,t succeed, try , try again.

I hope to someday, hold the "Orb"!

God bless everyone,

Robert
  • Susan, I don't understand what caused the scar tissue. You had a lumbar fusion, and your complaint was leg pain and foot pain. What levels was your fusion?
  • I'll send you a PM
  • advertisement
advertisement