Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Back pain please help ??????

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi all. I am 35 and have had back ,leg pain for 3 years.
I have seen doctors, osteopath, chiropractor,massage therapy. I have had 12 accupuntures, 1 epidural.hung from doors. gently exercised,bought books,dvds,Nothing helps.
Im 35 self employed decorator , fed up with no help from nhs.
Been taking tramadol and diclofenac for 3 years. Went privately for a mri scan .These are my results.
Please can anyone explain to me these results?????
I have not listed the findings just the conclusion.

Disc degenerative changes in mid to lower lumbar spine and mild facet joint degeneration in lower lumbar spine.A disc bulge at L4/L5 contacts the L5 roots in the lateral recesses,and a right paracentral disc protrusion at L5/S1 displaces the right S1 root in the lateral recess,but no convincing neural compreesion is seen.

Will gentle exercise help, or is bed rest good????
Any answers very gratefull ..Thank you


  • I'm in the US and not sure how the NHS works, but are you able to see a spine surgeon for input? Have you had flexion/extension x-rays of your spine? Sometimes this shows more than a standard, lying down x-ray or MRI.

    Best wishes to you,

  • Hi Ive got appointment end of the month with a pain consultant. I shall suggest to see a spine surgeon. I havent had a flexion/extension xray. British NHS are rubbish,well for me any way. Thanks for reply.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Legend :)

    From your report I would say this "do not try to treat this on your own". I know you want to do something and that is understandable. However you really need to see and be treated by a Dr.

    I could not begin to tell you if rest would help you - but I would gather as guess and and say until you see a Dr. I would not suggest you exercise.

    You could face making a injury that can be corrected to a level that it can't be corrected.

    I speak from experience. I too am self employed and when I was first injured and had my report from visiting a Emergency Room, decided to treat myself until I could see a Dr with doing exercises and I kept working ( which I do/did manual labor ) and now I am not fixable :(

    Please keep reading here and keep us updated how things are going for you :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi Ms HumptyDumpty, Thanks for reply...
    The physio has said keep gently exercising and working,but ive done that for the past 3years, still in pain. Im thinking a rest with no work mite help??
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.