Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SCS Stimulator Being Removed!!

patwhite101ppatwhite101 Posts: 1,213
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Saw my pain Doctor today, the one that did my ANS St Jude EON Mini stimulator implant. He admitted implanting my stimulator was a mistake. I was still on hugh doses of pain meds when I had my trial and should have been off them for my trial. He did not tell me this before my implant.
Anyway...the stimulator is now coming out!! The permanent implant has never helped my pain. Never!! I do not use it.

Stimulators have helped a lot of people but some it does not. I am one of those it does not help and I had such high hopes when I had the implant!! I was crushed when it did nothing for me....crushed!! If it had helped my lower back pain I would have been happy but it actually made it worse. I was told by my rep that can and does happen sometimes.

When I had this implant I was so sure it was going to help me pain like it has for Haglandc. BionicWoman, Cherish, and Stockbroker, to name a few....but unfortunately it has not. I have no problems at all with the stimulator other that it does nothing for my pain.

But I still have hope. This same pain Doctor referred me to a Doctor who does pain pump implants and I have an appointment to see hem the 12th.
My stimulator will be removed sometime after the 12th. of this month. I will update everyone on how it goes having it removed.
He did say I would be sore and in some pain but I would be asleep during the removal. I am so happy of that....I was wide awake for the implant and it was ROUGH!!

Cheers
Patsy W :H
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry the stimulator didn't help you. I hope you find some relief. Susan
  • TRY TRY AGAIN!!! Okay, Patsy, let's get this bad boy out and on to the pain pump. Would be nice if you could get it before Christmas -- now that would be an awesome Christmas present!

Got your back girlfriend and holding out for much better outcome for you. Can't wait to hear from MeyDey to see how she's doing with her new pain pump.

Take care of you and Pepper,

Judy
  • advertisement
  • Thanks ladies for taking the time to leave a comment.

Yes...I am happy to have the stimulator removed although I have never had any other problems with it other than it does nothing for my pain. I did worry about the battery leaking down the road. That can and does happen.
    I did not want to have the pain pump AND the stimulator both in me.

I am going to ask to keep the battery pack. May make a necklace out of it. It would be one of a kind wouldn't it? LOL And it is kinda cute.
    Cheers
  • if they would let you keep your battery pack. I would have never thought of asking to keep it. I would like to know if they do let you keep it. I think it would be neat.

Jacque
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    If it's just there, and not doing anything for your pain. but not causing you any extra pain. Why take it out? It's not hurting anything to be in there and not in use is it?
    Mine did not work either. And being in there may be a constant reminder that one more "light at the end of the tunnel" was snuffed out.
    But if it is not hurting you what does it hurt to be there?
    I ask, because technology is constantly improving and it has been a fact that they do not work that well on low back pain. But at any given time they could come out with new leads that could target low back pain. I know they are working on it. And I have heard about a tripole lamitrode 16 leads that may target low back pain. without the unwanted, unpleasant stimulation in areas where it bothers you.What if they came out with something that would work for you 2 or 3 mos. after you take it out?
    Just throwing that out there.
    Good luck, Jim :? :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • advertisement
  • I would be in no rush to have it removed, but, mine does do some good, It's hit or miss some days, I have gotten used to it and try to take it for what it is worth.
    If mine failed to work, could not be made to work, I would probably leave it for a while. Not for more than a year or two though. Just my thinking, but the SCS rules out mri and that battery...

Now, if I was Patsy I would have to ask them to do the removal when they do the pain pump. If, they can do that.

Technically the device is yours, your insurance paid for it. You should be able to request it. I still have the rod from my clavicle somewhere, they ran it through sterilization first, then bagged it and gave it to me.
  • Jasque....yes I think keeping it will be neat. Gonna ask them to slip it into a baggie for me. LOL

Jim....I understand what you are saying but I did have stimulation in my lower back, right where I needed it(my rep is very good) but all it did was make my pain much worse. I also have stimulation in my legs right where I need it but it just does nothing for my pain. As I said I am seeing a Doctor about a pain pump amd I do not want both devices implanted in me.

Wrambler...I see no reason to keep this implant any longer. It does not work for me at all....not even hit or miss. I have tried it at different times and at different pain levels hoping I would see some relief but no...it just does not work for me. I was on much higher doses of pain meds when I had my trial but my GP decided he would not write anymore scripts for such high doses of pain meds. Now that I am on a much, much lower dose and I really need the help from the stimulator. Unfortunately it does nothing for my pain.
    Cheers
  • There has been questions about having a stimulator remved in the past. I searched back through old threads looking for someone who had theirs removed and only found one person who had.
    Now that more and more people are having this implant I am sure the question of removal will crop up.
    I am NOT posting this to bash the stimulator in any way but to inform and I do hope people will see it this way.
    Cheers
  • I'm glad to hear your doctor will work with you. I didn't know that staying on strong narcotics might hinder the stim trial results. When I had my stim trial I was on my ER and IR meds. This is very interesting.

Anyhow, you're absolutely right about what works for someone won't work the same way or not at all for others.

About the pump trial and surgery, I did not have any of my meds reduced or had to stop them altogether. It takes time for things to get better when you make the transition from oral delivery to intrathecal delivery, and that's why you may stay on your regular meds longer. Of course, each doctor has their way of doing things and some may choose to get you off everything before implanting the pump.

It's best to talk to the doctor who's doing the pump surgery and the one who is prescribing your Oxycodone so that they can make a plan of action together and be on the same page. You need to know how your pain will be managed before you go in for surgery. Take care
  • well, maybe, just a little but WTH, if the horse is dead, he doesn't really care anyway, right? Several times you have mentioned that you should have stopped taking your pain meds (or cut down on them--I'm a little fuzzy on this one---) WHY? If I'm taking 4mgs. Blah and 6 mgs. blah-blah and now I add the stimulator, I can truly tell whether I'm feeling better or not, just a little or a lot. If, once again I'm taking 4mgs. blah and 6 mgs blah-blah and now I must stop the drugs and start the stimulator, I have introduced an extra variable into the mix. This just isn't good medicine. If I'm taking 4mgs. blah and 6mgs. blah-blah and now you have me stop for a period of several months before you try the stimulator, you have eliminated the extra variables but, again, I'm not sure the purpose. I had my trial while taking my usual pain meds. As it turned out, I did not take my breakthrough meds while I had the stimulator so this certainly told us something. I cannot imagine someone saying you're continuing to take the pain meds would skew the results of the trial. (Remember I am the logic teacher -or was- but the knowledge is still there.) In fact, it seems to me that stopping your pain meds would introduce a whole other set of variables that would have to be factored in to determine whether or not the stimulator had any benefit. I think, however, we've been through this before. The point is, you don't like it and you want it out. To that end, I once again wish you the very, very best and hope you find some kind of relief. Please keep us informed as to how things come ouy (pun intended.) Susan
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.