Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

My permanent SCS implant experience

anjuanaanjuan Posts: 236
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation

I had posted my experience in another thread but somehow it appears that it was deleted. Here is another recap which I hope will help some of those waiting for the SCS implant.

My surgery was scheduled for 4:30pm last Thursday. I arrived at 2:45 and they took me down to preanthesesia around 4:15 pm. After a while I met the anthesesiologist and then my Dr. and Boston Scientific programmer. I was glad to see that it was my same programmer that I had during the trial. I discussed my concerns about pain management after the procedure w/ my Dr. and he wrote a script for opana. We also discussed the placement of the IPG. He said that he usually placed it above the belt line but left the option up to me regarding which side and whether he would place it on my side or back area close to the side. Since I am right handed and sometimes sleep on my side we decided for him to place it on my right side of my back. He then marked the area with a pen.

They then took me off to surgery. I remember a little bit about them asking me where I was feeling the vibrating but that it about it. The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery. So for me the permanent implant surgery was much easier than the trial placement. When I woke up they told me that everything went great. My BS rep also introduced me to another BS rep who had been present during the surgery. She started to program the stimulation but I was still pretty out of it so she just did a couple of programs. They also went through charging the battery, etc.
I ended up being discharged around 8:30pm at which time I felt ready to go home. Unfortunately we had to stop at the pharmacy to pick up my opana and the antibiotic. I would recommend to anyone else if you can get your meds prior to the surgery to do so.

That night I had a really hard time getting comfortable to sleep because of the incision pain. The next day I was really enjoying having the stimulation back, but the incision pain was still pretty bad. I ended up calling my Dr. who had me come back in and he uped the opana while taking the norco in between and he also put me on a muscle relaxer. The new meds definately helped and I was able to get more sleep the next night.

Now every day has been getting a little bit better. Yesterday I was able to get out a little while which felt great. Overall, the surgery and recovery has been a lot easier than the fusion. I can see where it is going to be hard to stick to the no BLT restrictions for 6 weeks because I will probably feel like doing more prior to then. But, I don't want to pull out the leads, etc so I am going to do my best to keep to the restrictions. Overall I am glad that I had the surgery and I think the stim will really help once I meet with my programmer again this coming Friday and we have a chance to fine tune things more.

If anyone has any questions regarding my procedure please ask away.


  • So glad to see you are doing well...was confused and very concerned when your post disappeared, as you are the model I am following while I wait for my perm. We both trialed about the same time and I, like you, had great results. The wait for w/c approval is rough as I have had some good days and some really bad ones.
    I don't have any ?'s for you right now but I know I will. Just really glad to see you are okay and posting your experience. It means a lot to me. Thanks.
  • I am glad that my post helps. I have absolutely no idea how my post got deleted. One moment it was there and then it disappeared. I don't know if the mods deleted it for some reason.

    Anyways, I am sorry that you are having a hard time waiting for the permanent implant. I hope that w/c approval comes through quickly.
  • advertisement
  • Your post did not disappear...they created a new section, Spinal Cord Stimulation for all the SCS questions. You can find it in the main forum. I think it is three under Pain Management.
  • Glad I found the new forum. The day after my last post 11/3 I rec'd w/c approval and am going at noon today for perm implant. Two and a half hrs to go and I'm pretty anxious especially since I've been flaring for the last two days with a weather change. Glad I found you and that you are doing well. I will check back in when I can and let you know how my implant went.
    Have a great day.
  • I am glad that you found this new area. You are probably gone for your permanent implant, but if you are still around I wanted to wish you good luck! You will be sore at first, but every day gets a little better. Please post and let us know how things are going.
  • advertisement
  • I just want to say I'm glad your stim surgery went well. I had my pain pump surgery about a couple weeks ago and I also have to wait out that 6 week restriction period. I'm already bored ;) It's cool that you got to go home the same day. I stayed 3 days because of a spinal headache. Anyway, I hope that your meds help you during the recovery and that the stim works like it's suppose to. Take care :H
  • I am really surprised to hear that this surgery was not quite as bad as fusion surgery. I am scheduled to have it in a couple of weeks and they acted like it was not much worse than the trial
  • Melto9, I saw in another post that you are getting the SCS. I actually said in my post, "Overall, the surgery and recovery has been a lot easier than the fusion." The first few days after the surgery were hard, but after that it got a lot better quickly. Now that I am 5 weeks out I can say that the surgery was a lot easier than my fusion. I only have one more week of my BLT restrictions and I am having a hard time sticking to them because I feel so well.

    Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
  • Oh I have had cat scans of my fusion area....one was before my implant....just have had no MRI's. It showed nothing amiss above and below my fusion and the last one was not long ago again to see if all was well with the implant after my fall and check again for any problems above or below my fusion.
    Over he years I have had several ct scans because that is what my Doctors would order. It is not like I have had no look see's at my fusion.

    Now my quilting is calling to me.LOL I would much rather work on my quilt's than sit here at the computer. Right now I am working on an applique quilt and it is going to be lovely.

    Merry Christmas to All.
    Patsy W :H
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.