Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

foot drop 4 weeks after surgery

homedad777hhomedad777 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello i am 4 weeks postop discectomy and i have been having hip and back pain now for a week. I went to the ER lastnight and while sitting in the waiting room i was having bad hip and leg pain. After about a hour both legs went numb from the knees down and lost function of both feet and the pain in my legs and hip was gone. About three days before the surgery i lost the movement of my toes on my right foot. Now the next morning i still have no function of either foot.
anyone had this happen????


  • What happened at the ER? I assume you have been in contact with your surgeon? While it is not unusual to have continued nerve pain for a while after surgery, it is odd that it seems to be getting worse, which would indicate continued nerve compression.

    If I were you, I would be on the phone to the surgeon. I realize it is Sunday but they should have someone on call. If you don't want to do that, please call first thing Monday morning. It is not normal for pain to be getting worse and for you to be losing movement.

    Please let us know what you find out, and keep posting with comments and questions. I hope you will get some relief soon.

  • I agree - this is one of the wave the red flag situation. Call someone soon.
    Please let us know how things work out.

    PS: welcome to the boards :)

    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • advertisement
  • I hope something good came out of the ER visit and they just didnt send you back home with prescription drugs only. Sometimes its good to get a second opinion, as I had an injection 3 weeks ago which left me with 500 times more pain than before and I kept calling the doctor back and he said dont worry. I finally consulted another doctor who put me on different medication and I am better now. Good luck
  • The er sent me home with prednisone i guess the doc thinks its inflamation but for some reason i dont think so. The bad thing is my surgern was on call for that night but he was in chicago at the time and i live in kentucky. My aunt is a pt and said the prednisone sould help my legs but the pain will come back so at this point i dont know whats worse. I just found out the mri the er ordered is thursday and now its monday so i guess i have to play the waiting game. Im waiting to see how long it takes to get on tho see the surgen.
  • being a nurse, I don't understand how your surgeon was on call for his practice and he was out of state??? That just doesn't sound right. I'm assuming the ER doc contacted him and he ordered the MRI & the Prednisone? I would be in contact with his office ASAP to make an appointment so you can discuss the results of the MRI. It sounds like you may have reherniated...I fell three weeks after my micro-d and was in the ER the next morning for a stat MRI and my neurosurgeon met me there. (MRI was OK, they were worried about a CSF leak because of positional headache). I did call him after I fell and actually lucked out that he was on call that weekend. He instructed me to go to the ER if my headache continued the next morning and it did...basically, your surgeon should be within 30-60 minutes reach if he's on call (in case of emergency). How do you feel now? I hope the prednisone is working for you!
  • advertisement
  • Found out that my surgen had a emergency and had to leave but there was a nother covering for him so he will be back on thursday. called his office yesterday and i have a apointment after my mri on thursday.
    i hope its going to be ok because this is starting to stress me out. 8}
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.