Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Clicking Sound at Base of Neck

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am new to this site and am seeking explanation as to what may be causing this clicking sound that I hear at the base of my neck whenever I turn my neck within normal range.

I feel my job has contributed to this problem, I drive a forktruck, which is definitely jarring to my neck and back and I must turn my neck numerous times a day, especially to the right, when backing. The clicking is for the most part only when I turn it to the right. It is not a sound loud enough for someone else to hear. I can only hear it. There is no pain associated with this only a major aggrevation to constantly hear this sound.

Can anyone explain what may be causing this?
advertisement

Comments

• Julie71 said:
    I am new to this site and am seeking explanation as to what may be causing this clicking sound that I hear at the base of my neck whenever I turn my neck within normal range.

Can anyone explain what may be causing this?
    Howdy Julie,

No pain associated with it right? Some folks will say it is the bones that are part of the "spiny process", (sorry can't remember the "full" name of those bones) rubbing. That is the bones that you feel with your hand on the back of your spine. It could be a small bone spur rubbing. Most everyone has a little of this.

Mine are so loud sometimes my husband can hear it! But I have a fusion that separated and several areas of chronic moderate and increasing bone spur complexes. Hope this helps you a bit. My medical knowledge is limited to what I've learned and experienced due to my crappy neck! Take care!!! :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.