Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain from vibrations in car

painfuldyappainfuldya Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have degenerative disc disease at L5-S1, L4-L5, and L3. Whenever I ride in a car I feel the vibrations in my lower back. I cannot ride on a train, subway or bus because I feel the vibrations even more. Also, when someone walks by any I feel the vibrations in my lower back and if someone sits down next to me this happens as well. Has anyone else experienced this?
I am new to this site and was wondering if someone could tell me how to add your medical information at the bottom of your posts as so many people are able to do. Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• Go to the top of this page while you are logged in. Click on my account. In the top right corner you will see the word edit. Click on edit. Scroll down until you find the space for your signature. Put your info in that box and it will show at the bottom of your posts. Sorry I do not have the vibration problem but hopefully someone that does will stop by and shed light on it for you.
  • painfuldya said:
    I have degenerative disc disease at L5-S1, L4-L5, and L3. Whenever I ride in a car I feel the vibrations in my lower back. I cannot ride on a train, subway or bus because I feel the vibrations even more. Also, when someone walks by any I feel the vibrations in my lower back and if someone sits down next to me this happens as well. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I am new to this site and was wondering if someone could tell me how to add your medical information at the bottom of your posts as so many people are able to do. Thanks!
    Howdy!!!

I have issues in my back, but not diagnosed yet as I am *trying* to get my darn neck under control! Lol!!! At any rate, what you are describing, I have had. Basically your degenerated disks are feeling the vibration "transmit" in those bad (weakened) disks! I can feel it a bit in my back, but more so for me, my neck. I haven't been in a train in a long time, but I was sitting at Red Lobster with my hubby in those "cushioned booth like seats" and a person "plopped" down next to me - zing that bloody well hurt! The hubby gets on a bumpy road or hits a pot hole, zing again! I can't handle being a passenger in a car for more than 30-45 minutes - even if smooth, I might be getting "general" vibration there, but I think for me it is from the position I sit in. When I drive now, I sit almost straight up! I lost a lot of the range of motion with my last surgery, so I pivot to clear lanes to turn - actually feels pretty good when I do that!! :-)

In basics what is happening is the areas are under load and sensitive, and the vibrations (for me more so the bumps and such) transmit to your injured areas. There isn't much you can do except try and avoid those situations that irritate your back. I wish I had better information for you. Will it get better with surgery? A big *maybe* - no guarantees on surgery unfortunately. Good luck with your vehicle travels! Take care, and a Hearty Welcome Aboard the Site!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • i too am severely degenerated at the same levels (along with herniations) and feel every bump in the road in a car/bus/ect...
    ...at times even a 6 pound cat jumping on the bed will hurt.
    ...and mri's are awful for me!

but it is all part of being a spiney...try talking to your surgeon about a brace to wear during long car rides as i find that seems to help me.
    (in trial brace for a possible 4 level fusion)
    other than that, the better the shock system on the vehicle....the less you will "feel".
    -best of luck-

dawn
  • Good point about the brace! If I know I am going to be in a car for an hour or so... I wear my hard neck collar. It does help a bit, no question! Excellent point!!! :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I had surgery on C5-6 C6-7 In march 2009. Also had surgery on L5 S1 on July 23, 2009. I had problems with riding also before the surgeries and I still have the same problem after 4 months from the L5 S1 surgery. I can't ride for more than about 45 min. to 1 hour. We went on a trip to Florida the last week of October, it was 200 miles from my home, it took us all day, due to having to stop so much so that I could walk to reduce the pain. My doctor took me off of my brace after only 1 month, have thought about wearing it when I go somewhere, but did not know if it would hinder or help.

I will be seeing my doctor on December 1st. and That is one of the first questions: How much longer will all this last? I really have a LOT of questions for him about the level of pain.

slowpoke60
  • advertisement
  • I have the fancy brace my neuro got me. It has the removable shell. Better than the old turtle ones. I have to wear it in the car, It helps with back soreness from fatigue since it forces you to sit correctly. Does it help over bumps. No. My wife hit a speed bump the other day not even thinking. We were in the truck and it had not weight in the back. So they just bounce. Boy did I let out a yell.

If you haven't had surgery and have bad discs. Especially lower quadrant. Like S1-L5 or L5-L4. Yeah they are compressed and have little room to offer you help. They are shock absorbers. Once they are severely DDD or worn. They just compress and stop helping. Then nerves and muscles end up acting as shock absorbers, which they shouldn't be. Worse becomes bone on bone.

Ultimately you need to keep your trips short. Preferably not ride in cars with very stiff/harsh suspensions. Bigger cars with cushier seats. Also try angle the seat back a bit further. The closer to perfectly prone you are. The worse you will feel it.

Graham
  • here is another idea. i almost tried this before surgery but never got round to it. if your lower discs are compressed then this might help. it keeps your tail bone suspended.

https://www.healthyback.com/products/kinetic-diversified/car-cush/543

you can find these types of cushions in a number of places. i just happen to have one of these stores close by so i happen to use their website. shop around. i'm sure you can probably find better prices.

graham
  • I have the same problem regarding riding a car or people jumping around me. Sometimes it hurts just having my kids run past me, because like you I feel the floor shaking eventhrough the couch. I am also hypersensitive to touch in my lower back at the end of the day, after work or cooking or anykind of strain. The doctors don't know why it is, but I do know my problem areas are L4-L5 and L5-s1 with facets. I have a continuous pressure pain that increases with any kind of activity on my feet. The more the pressure the less I can walk. If I don't stop and lay down for a while after the pressure gets too high I feel it in my whole body and my face and eyes gets all red, and I feel feverish, plus I just can't walk anymore. Nobody seems to be able to explain this. Has anyone got the same symptoms out there and do u have a diagnosis for it?
  • I used to be in so much pain when I had my herniated disc and had to travel an hour to go to my Primary Dr. many times to get my pain meds increased to help block the pain from vibrations and potholes etc in the road. I've found Cymbalta as well as MS Contin has helped where I can tolerate the drive and subway rides now. Good luck and hope a brace may help you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Perhaps we are now super sensitive to external vibration and I know I have my own external perimeter that with any vibration resonates though my spine, more effective than a bus timetable, I can feel the bus arriving and have been know to stand up to reduce the effect.

Small buses are also a problem and I bought a bigger car on the basis that it would feel the bumps and vibration less, as mentioned it is Ok on short distance and anything longer and my legs do not work. I always look for separate seating to reduce the chance of others moving and even escalators can be a problem. Some travel opportunities become an inquisition as to how we are going and the mode of transport we are using, you have to laugh in my sister’s 4x4 we had to stop all the time, it had the comfort of a tractor and those grimaces on my face reflective of just how painful this process was…..

If it vibrates shakes or bumps .. stay away ….. which is the smoothest car !!!

Just smile and have fun…

John.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.