Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain after L5-S1 microdiscectomy.

advertisement

Comments

• I lurk to see what is going on this board. During my recovery last March-June, I was almost on line flat on my back. I had 2 microdiscectomies at L5S1. The redo was caused by violent sneezing and coughing during the first week of the recovery.

Currently, I can sit about for 2 hours without to0 much discomfort. Before the surgeries, I could not sit in any positions. I was in so much pain that I got about 3-4 hours asleep. I was on high doses of various pain meds and injections.

Because it hasn't been a year yet, I don't want to say the surgeries were successful. By the same token, I am able to resume my social, professional life.

as far as paid meds, I have to take ibuprofen on daily basis. I usually take 2-4 pills a day. I try to do the physical exercises to strengthen my core every day.
  • Hi people

Well had my opp, seemed to be successfull. Spoke to the surgeon straight after the opp and he said there was hardly any disc buldge, even though MRI suggested otherwise. He said he removed any clots/fragments (which wernt many). The only thing of note was that the nerve was "stuck" (not sure what too, but what ever surronds it i guess). He freed the nerve and packed it with gel, obviously preventing any further "sticking"

All seemed to be relativly ok, bearing in mind I was on pain relief from the opp, until New Years Day. The sciatic pain was returning, not to the same extent as pre opp, but its in the exact location and the same pain!!

Maybe and hopefully im just jumping the gun as its only 2 weeks post opp. I have an appointment with the surgeon in 10 days so we will see how I progress.

So just to re-cap, no nerve compression found, only sticking nerve.

Has anybody else come accoss this "sticking nerve" problem?
  • advertisement
  • Hey Mike can you email me on m1_grand @ Hotmail.com

I am in the same boat as you.
  • Rita67RRita67 Posts: 1
    edited 06/03/2014 - 11:04 PM
    Can a medication such as PERCOCET become less effective if you've been taking it for almost 2 years. I'm not sure if my pain has increased although I have all type of pain.I have the electrical shock that goes thru my body. I'm not able to sit or stand for long periods of times.I'm not going to start complaining I truly need help with my meds. I am going to a PM I'm able to take long car rides. This whole thing happened to me due to herniated disk thereafter I had a microdisc. surgery which made the pain 10 X'S WORST. I need help PLEASE...
  • To answer your question, yes, it is a short acting or immediate release medication and over time, it can become less effective, due to tolerance issues. Since you have been on it for two years, I am assuming with regular dosing, it isn't surprising that you are finding it less effective.
    There is a pain medication forum for questions related to pain medications, under the treatment section of the forum home page.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-faq
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/pain-medications
  • advertisement
  • Are you taking any other medications for your pain? I also take a muscle relaxant & a 'nerve med'. I would expect a degree of tolerance to a consistent dose of a med after 2 years. I recently changed from Tizanidine to Baclofen muscle relaxers for that reason.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • English Girl - I used to take Lyrica before my operation, but now I don't take anything but just your over the counter pain killers every now and then. My nerve is still sore after 4 months post surgery. I only feel it when I am sitting down and bend the leg upwards.

what problem did you have exactly and how long has it been?
  • Mine started 8 years ago. All of my problems stem from very mean & distructive arthritis which is still doing its thing! I have nerve damage which looks to be permanent..no improvement in 2 years. I left it way too long (about 5 years). I find the combination of the above meds to be far more helpful than any 1 alone. I also have a topical compounded cream that contains various muscle & nerve meds & ketamine. I really like it as part of my 'blend'. I've never found 1 thing that works alone.
    As Sandi often says, 'Nerve damage can take a very long time to repair. 4 months isn't really very long, depending on how long & how badly it was damaged. Hang in there. I know these things can take a frustratingly long time. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • RB30 - Sorry! I was answering Rita on tolerance. I should of referenced her. I've never been told I have a 'sticky' nerve. I've never heard of that issue. Sorry ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Yer, it has been bit over 4 months now for me English Girl. and I just want to know that I am going to get better.. its dam frustrating! I am going to start bike riding. But god I hope this nerve damage in my leg eases!
advertisement