Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

would like to tell surgeon off

Comments

• Hi Peaceln

Is that a traction machine? I tried traction with no relief for a herniated disc. SOme people swear by them.

If that isn't what it is could you describe it?
  • My surgeon told me that I had 3 hernaited discs in the T spine, but none of these are compressing the spine and they don't need surgery. He said PT and antiflamatory medication will help them. He also said that my Bladder problems are not coming form my spine. I had the MRI 1 hours before my apt with him and there was no report generated yet, in fact I don't think the radiologist even looked at them, but was glad to hear his opinion. I plan on following up with the neurologist, and will also go to a urololgist, but will do that closer to where I live. Yesterday was a hard day, left my house at 9:30 for an 11:30 MRI, got done with it just in time for surgeons apt, at 1:00, but not surprising wasn't taken into exam room till 3:00, and he didn't walk in till 3:30 and spent an entire 5 minutes with me. Was glad to see that there was nothing in the spine, will try the prescription he gave me, and think I will switch PT's am wondering if she irritated something, because she may be a bit to agesive for me.

Thanks for those great stories too, enjoyed the laugh!

hope everyone has a pain free day!
    ilene
    Ilene
  • advertisement
  • How did the doctor know you had 3 herniated discs without seeing the report? Either I am misunderstanding or something sounds strange. I would definately get a copy of those films and the report from the radiologist.
  • TitanNeck said:
    I'm glad I did something worthwhile today. :H Otherwise, I basically vegetated in my chair, literally. It's funny that my coworkers think I am 120% too serious 126% of the time, yet on this topic I just have to laugh. What's the other option? And I've got a million stories, based on nearly nine years in retail and 25 years of parenthood. I keep them sorted in my mind so I'll have something I can keep a client entertained with while I'm doing the boring part of drawing their kitchen. I'll see what I can come up with for the next edition.

TitanNeck
    Titan,

Don't even get me started on "Stupid Criminal" jokes!! Hehehe...Your co-workers are way off...you are a hoot!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I had the MRI done in at the hospital radiology office and he was able to look at the MRI on the computer before the radiologist even saw them, or gave a preliminary report. I did ask him if the radiologist saw them yet, and he said NO, but that he looked at it and there is nothing major going on, nothing to be giving me the symptoms I am having. I do know this surgeon came highly recommended, unfortunately for me he came recommended to me by physitians who for sure get treated differently then I have. As for him giving me his opinion of the films, it's ok, but will get the official report and already got a copy of the films, and am waiting to hear what the neurologist has to say about them.

Thanks again,
    ilene
    Ilene
  • advertisement
  • Kris, I assume Ilene's NS looked at the films since the report wasn't ready.

That aside, Ilene, his treatment of you is completely unconscionable. Are there no other NSs in your area? There is absolutely no reason for overbooking to that degree; the excuse is that he makes more money if he sees more patients. No reason would be good enough; that reason just makes me want to vomit. If we, as patients, got to charge the doctors as much for the time we sit and wait as they do for the five minutes they spend with us, they'd stop doing that. That's why a free-market health care community is so important; if you don't like it, you can LEAVE.

I'm glad you're not looking at surgery, Ilene. This is a sucky time of year to have it.

Brenda, I've got some of those stories, too. With retail comes scheisty shoplifters and some other strange behavior. Most people wouldn't believe the things they will do in order to steal a dollar's worth of someone else's belongings.

TitanNeck
  • My experience makes me wary of the doctors reading the MRI films themselves. I was lucky that I had an extremely experienced radiologist do my first MRI reading. He spotted the problem that was on the edge of the first films and suggested a follow-up.

My ortho said he agreed and sent me to an ortho spine surgeon. That guy I could strangle. He blew me off saying that he didn't see anything and at least I had a herniation to add to my lawsuit!!

I believed him and went to a neurologist who said he saw the herniation but it couldn't be causing my pain. Gee wikipedia shows in detail just how this pain comes from that herniation.....but I guess his PT department can fix a herniation.

When nothing worked I went back to my ortho looking for some other source of pain and he said "why doesn't anyone fix the problem". So I went to a neuro-surgeon who admitted he would never have spotted that herniation on his own. And he counted out the vertebra a few times before he understood what the radiologist saw. Once he understood what the radiologist said he agreed that this is the source of my pain.

SO my point is everyone has a specialty that they are trained for. A radiologist looks at these reports all day long and knows how to spot things that other doctors may only see once a month or once a year. In my case the radiologist was right and two doctors were too dense to admit they couldn't see the problem on the films.

Titan you are right on the money. If only we could protest doctors who treat us this way but when a doctor is good he will always have more patients. But Ilene I really wonder how this doctor saw you for the first time today and in 5 minutes got your whole medical history, did an exam, read the MRI films himself and diagnosed the problem and wrote prescriptions. When you get the written report look at it carefully. If it differs from what the doctor told you it might be a good idea to take it to another doctor.

I don't mean to be a downer but something just doesn't seem right.
  • I have been seen a neurologist who looked at my MRI and said that he did not see any reason for me to still be in pain, did not give me the EMG that my surgeon requested and dismissed me. It took about five minutes and I was in such shock, I left. So had he I imagine as I was his last patient of the day and I'm sure he went to the golf course.

I will never schedule an appointment to be the last one of the day. I am finally getting that EMG from a new doctor tomorrow! I sure hope he's not a jerk too. This time though, I will say something if it were to happen again. I'm not mistreated the same way twice and neither should any of you.

We speak loudest with our feet.
    Dee
  • TitanNeck said:

Brenda, I've got some of those stories, too. With retail comes scheisty shoplifters and some other strange behavior. Most people wouldn't believe the things they will do in order to steal a dollar's worth of someone else's belongings.

TitanNeck
    Hehehe... Titan.. I know you know what I am talking of! People will pop you for a buck - sad state anymore!! Oh, and I looked more on the site you posted - I laughed so hard I hurt more, but yeah know what? ROFLA - I needed it! Thanks!!! :-) Hehehehe...still laughing thinking of the yahoo's that would even *think* of getting out of their cars like that - never mind going into a store!

Brenda
  • Quiltinously said:

I will never schedule an appointment to be the last one of the day. I am finally getting that EMG from a new doctor tomorrow! I sure hope he's not a jerk too. This time though, I will say something if it were to happen again. I'm not mistreated the same way twice and neither should any of you.

We speak loudest with our feet.
    Dee
    Pretty name Dee!

I have an NS who "reads" the MRI to make his decision. The good part...the radiologist is good..he (the radiologist) only missed a little bit. MY doctor knows that I am a person, not a "payment" walking in the door!!! You are so right - mistreatment...nope, not allowed! Good luck, please let us know how it goes!!! Please?

Brenda
advertisement