Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

e cigarettes anyone?

yasminayyasmina Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Stop Smoking
Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but nothing came up in a search.

has anyone used an ecig. to quit? It's basically a nicotinne delivery syslem that looks like and feels like a real cigarette. It even emits "smoke" which is really water vaper.

No tobacco, no second-hand smoke, no smell of smoking on you. when I have my ACDF, I plan to take them with me.

It could be compared to the patch or nicotine gum. No harmful side effects to the smoker or those around them.
advertisement

Comments

• I used the plastic ones too. My ones only had nicotine cartridges which delivered the addictive part straight to your body, in its pure form! However it seems I foolishly preferred the non-addictive, non-pure, grotty chemical components a little too much, because I returned to cigarettes, after being off them for an entire 3 days (without withdrawal effects) !

Last time I really gave up, I was 23 (now over 50). I gave up for 13 months and was doing well except for piling on the pounds which didn't really bother me. Sadly I'd made a pact with my sister to stop and when I discovered she'd returned to smoking, so did I. I know - - - stupid!

Sorry I veered off there - back to your post. I've used them whilst in hospital too and they're absolutely excellent. If I'd had a good-enough reason to stay off cigarettes and stick to the plastic sort, I could have done it and so wish I had now. Anyway, you already have the right mental approach, so all that remains is to wish you the best in your upcoming surgery.

Good luck!

Val
  • i don't know much about the e cigs but you may find some info at this web site - it is a free supportive forums for people quitting and has a lot of info.

https://www.quitnet.com/
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • advertisement
  • I am planning on buying the "Marlboro" flavored "E Cigarette" after talking with a co-worker who loves em! You can "smoke" anywhere, and they aren't illegal anywhere. Granted you still get nicotine (the bad for fusion as we all know), but just think, better lungs, no smell, cost less in the long run, and for some, they can quit! I just wish I could try one first so I would know if I would like them or not taste wise. :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I too had heard of these e cigs. But since they are delivering straight nicotine, I ruled them out. I knew with my fusion, nicotine is the truly bad chemical. So I used chantix and quit all together. Will be 8 weeks this Thursday. I am so darn proud of quitting LOL. I hope any of these options help you eventually quit nicotine completely.

Traci
  • To all UK patients, the cigarettes which deliver pure nicotine are free on the NHS. They don't seem to broadcast it in our area - I wonder why?!?!
  • advertisement
  • Some guy was at a friends party. He had several of the "flavors" that they had at the time. They look cool, it is water vapor for the smoke, you don't 2nd hand smoke anyone else. All that is good.

As Traci pointed out. They deliver NICOTINE. What part of this is confusing people? It doesn't help fusing. Some of you are posting about using this stuff, or patches, and the like. AND post you are not fusing properly. Why bother getting surgery? Just smoke more and kill yourself faster. Saves money in the long run. Surgery is expensive...

You all are screwing your own selves over having fusions and taking the big risk with nicotine. Come on people. Smarten up. You can stop. I did. Others did. Short of playing Russian roulette I'm not sure you could be doing anything worse to yourself. Do you hate yourselves or your families that much? You can kill yourself in a much shorter and less painful way. I can post a list if you would like.

Sorry. This whole topic seems to be getting sensitive with me lately. I better shutup now.

Graham
  • Graham,

Can't argue with ya man! But I have seen folks quit at work because even though with this you still have "nicotine" (and yeah - not good for fusion) they were soooooo happy with the other health (for the positive) changes - they were able to quit! Even easier than with the gum and such.

Are you an "ex" smoker? Some of those that quit are the more vocal?

I still think this 'e-cigarette' has its place. Yep, no question, nicotine is still there...but the possibilities to quit are better. Remember darlin - and we have chatted a BUNCH in chat, posts and PMs....baby steps can be GOOD!!! :-) See ya man!!!

Brenda
  • Yeah Brenda I am an ex-smoker. And you know we are the worst you have to deal with, And the mot vocal and proactive on this board about stopping. I'm hoping enough of our generation smartens up so that our kids generation has it all but wiped out. A lofty goal maybe...

If you are using it as a tool to help you quit then more power to you. If it is simply a substitute to get around the legal issues of smoking in public. Smoking at businesses or restaurants etc. Then it really isn't helping. It most certainly takes away the carcinogens from the smoke being inhaled. Almost like using snuff or something.

The thing is the tar and carcinogens in cigarettes is not the addictive part. It is the nicotine. Getting that under control is how you stop. You can do it,

I'm a believer in Chantix because it worked for me and many others I know. I went a year after the first attempt with it. Then had a relapse and started. Due to pressure in my life that I let control me. Getting that back under control and 2-3 weeks of Chantix and stopped again. I *think* I am finally done with this habit. But... like all drug habits. You are an addict for life. So everyday you don't smoke is a good day. That is how I look at it. I most certainly do not have unrealistic views of just how strong an addiction it is. It is a real fight.

Again. I may have been over the top with that post. But it got some peoples attention. That was the intent. If I didn't care I wouldn't even post.

Graham
  • Howdy my friend!!!!

Outburst, no I don't think you were out of line or rude or anything! I could tell you were an ex smoker, nothing wrong with that. Before my co-worker "quit" thanks to these, I too though of getting them for smoking in non smoking areas!

After he used these (and I forgot how long he did btw) he quit and "never looked back" as they say. I quit once years ago and had people (who smoked still) ask me why I didn't harp on them. Simple, you're and adult, it is your decision to smoke or not. I too (at that time) was okay around people who smoked. I didn't feel the need to smoke.

Well..why did I start again? Stress. I had 3 good friends die in the space of two weeks, and it was my stress reliever. I figure it was safer than crawling in a bottle eh? I also have (soon to be had) a stressful job. Lose 15 illegals to the ocean - men, women, children...very hard on the brain and heart. Once I get out and retired, I think I am going to change a LOT of things. Stress is the kicker for me right now - and the "e ciggies" might be a part of that bridge to start. :-)

I fully respect your feelings Graham. I don't think it your post bothered anyone. On this site, folks will let you know if they think you "crossed the line." :-) Luv ya man!!! Keep your passion!!!

Brenda
  • I only posted my success with chantix for quitting because of the nicotine chemical. Of course, we all know its's bad for fusion. I am soooooooo stubborn and once I made up my mind to do it, there was no way I wasn't going to quit. This surgery and pain after has been unbearable at times, and I could have smoked a carton of cigarettes. But why go thru all of this and harm myself more or have a failure rate of 70% for fusion pts. SO NO I am not a former smoker out to convert the world or get ya to drink the kool-aid. i just wanted you guys that are struggling to know what worked for me.

And best of luck, amd even if you can cut back the amount you're smoking, you will be doing your body a favor.

Hugs
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.